SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sreeb_gw

pool equipment upgrade with new solar panels

sreeb
15 years ago

I'm planning on replacing my pool pump in hopes of reducing my electirc bill. At the same time I want to add, or at least make provision for solar panels. I intend to do the final design and install myself.

I live in San Diego. I believe my incremental power cost is $0.22/KWH.

The pool is a rectangular 16'x40', ~23000 gallons. No attached spa or water features.

Pump motor is 2HP. Pump is 13 years old, motor 11 years. My associated multiport valve has developed a slow leak and I have been unable to locate a replacement seal so I will be replacing that too. Filter is 60 sqft DE which I plan to retain.

I believe I can get a $100 rebate from SDG&E if I chose an approved pump or pump/controller. Obviously this is a bonus but I am not going to design my system around the rebate.

I use a Kreepy Krawly. At 13 years old, it is approaching end of life and could be replaced. It has a dedicated 2" line from the equipment.

I have an existing gas heater that is rarely used (maybe one weekend in spring or fall) due to cost reasons.

I am planning on adding new solar panels. I can locate these on a south facing porch roof, 1 story up and limited to about 300 sqft or build a rack to hold them on a south west facing slope with no limit on area. The slope locaton would be just below pool level.

My goals for the solar heat are pretty limited. Extend pool season so it is consistenly warm June - October and warm enough on a hot day mid May through mid November. I won't use it during the rest of the year or middle of summer.

I'm looking at some of the Pentair Intelliflo pumps. It looks like my options are a variable speed pump with externa controller or a variable flow pump with internal controller. I guess I could also Use a VF pump with external controller but I doubt this would be cost effective.

Some questions:

I assume that solar collectors on the 1st story porch are less efficient than the below grade one from a pump perspective but I can't quantify this. Is there a rule of thumb or simple calculation?

Should I install an automated valve to route all suction through the sweep when sweeping or just speed up the pump during that period? I think a valve would work best with a VF pump but would also require an external control since the VF controller has no outputs.

I'm planning on a manually operated 3 way valve to control flow to the solar panels so I don't think I need an external controller for the solar.

Comments (3)