SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fintry_gw

New Furnace or Solar Panels

fintry
11 years ago

I live in Nevada. My house is a 3,000 sqft, one story; and I have 2 furnace systems. I need help which way to go:

I was informed, in October 2012, that the furnace blower motor is over heating and there is a small crack on the heating exchange. I was given the following option:

1) Replace blower motor on furnace and run new la politon (don't know what this means) for $575.

2) Replace furnace with new goodman new b-vent, new gas flex valve, new electrical whip, reseal oil connection unit, 10 years part and labaor warranty for $3,900.

3) New 14 seer Amana condenser 410A refrigerant, new furnace Amana, new evap coil, new U.V lign lamp, new pro 8000 Honeywell thermostat, new permit inspection, new b-vent exhaust, new gas flex valve, new electrical 100% satisfaction, 10 year part/labor warranty for $8,500.

During the course of our conversation, I told the supervisor who came to the house to explain that I prefer Trane. The supervisor said that they could give it to me for the same price; but I did not ask for the specifics because I seem not to be interested at that time.

As you can see above, I was not given the model number of Amana except that it's 14 seers and R410A.

It was in October 2012 yet; and so far nothing happened. My husband and I thought that we will just wait until the system breaks down and then do something. I have not got other estimates and recently, someone I met who is a plumber told me that it's not advisable to wait until it breaks down because we will be getting a high estimate. Hence, I went online and happened to see this forum.

You guys, have interesting input/comments that I really appreciate. Hence, I would like to seek advise/comments which way to go.

First, shall I ignore the small crack on the heat exchanger? Is this safe, health wise? What about the blower motor we were told that it was overheating? So far nothing happened.

Secondly, a neighbor recently came to my house introducing to me about installing the solar panels. She said that they are doing it on their house and the net cost to them is $25,000 and that their monthly electric bill will be $10 monthly. Our average yearly bill on electric is $2,000.00. The house is built in dual pane and construction materials that will save us on electric and gas bills. Hence, our electric bill is not too high compared to when we were in NJ, and besides, I don't like it very cold during summer. Hence, our a/c is set at 80 degrees considering that the house has dual pane windows and built of construction materials that is not too hot inside the house during summer because Las Vegas goes up to 118 degrees during summer. If we are convinced to put solar panels, do I still need to get the 14 seers R410A. My understanding is that the higher the seer, the least costly is my electric bill. In case, we choose to get the solar panel, what difference will it make getting a 14 seer R410A or higher? If there is small crack on the heat exchanger, I think, we still need to replace something.

Do we really need the solar panels?

I would appreciate very much advise/comments.

Thank you.

Comments (4)