SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anthony_s61

Buying a home with active solar panel lease

T B
last year

Hello,

I am considering a property where the current owner has recently installed leased solar panels. A condition of the sale would be to transfer that lease over to the new owner - there is no option to decline it (I suppose there could be buyout/termination price in the contract).

I was told the terms of the lease - pay $x dollars per month for y years at 0% interest. If the panels end up generating enough output to cover usage, the cost is effectively the electricity bill - okay not such a big deal.

Now as this is a lease, starting to get the bank involved and it's all going downhill from here. They want to propose paying off the lease using proceeds from sale of my home, taking out a new loan with interest, binding the lease to the home mortgage (the panels are such a tiny percentage of the home value - they must be crazy thinking I would agree to this), and several hundreds of dollars to transfer the loan. I did not anticipate any of these costs.

I'd like to hear from others your past experience with a solar lease transfer. Is what I mentioned fairly standard practice and nothing I can avoid? Am I being unreasonable? I feel that the transfer of lease was misrepresented (making it sound simple and low cost) and as I learn more it's more money out of pocket which I again I did not anticipate and would have factored into any offer.

Thanks.

Comments (7)