SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
avidday

kdat syp t&g porch floor? prep? care?

avidday
17 years ago

My wife and I are in the process of building a new house. The gardenweb forums have been invaluable in my research for materials to use. I have lurked here for the past 7-8 months in preparation and gathering info. Everything has been going smoothly thanks to the info I have found here.

But, I have finally hit the one thing that is killing my brain. I have read about Ipe/Ironwood/Brazilian walnut and how well suited it is for porches and decking. The problem is really the cost. I am building a 1360 sqft porch that goes around 3 and a half sides of my 2700 sqft house. That translates into about $14k for enough ipe to cover it in 4" T&G. However, I can get enough kiln-dried-after-treatment(KDAT)southern yellow pine T&G porch flooring (grade D?, very small knots) for about $3500 (1/4 the cost of ipe). I understand it won't last 40 years like ipe, but if we go with ipe, our budget (which we are already running a little over) is going to be majorly strained or maybe even blown.

So, my question boils down to this. I haven't seen much mention of KDAT on these forums, so has anyone out there used it, and if so what kind of prep do I need to do to it before installing and what sort of treatment and care regimen can I expect over it's lifetime? Paints? Stains? Sealers/TWP? Sanding necessary? Marine deck pains?

I live in NE Kentucky, if that helps in the determination of what I need.

Comments (8)