SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
perky_2_gw

screened porch flooring

perky_2
16 years ago

What flooring do you have on your screened porches and do you mind sharing pictures?

I have to decide by the end of next week and while I thought I was set on brick pavers; I made a mistake and looked at all the alternatives - now confused. I really want the least difficult to sweep, clean etc. But I want it to be attractive too.

Show me yours - please and thank you.

Comments (59)

• natal
    16 years ago

The old porch was a concrete slab that dh covered with pressure treated 2x4s. The only thing I didn't like about it was the fact that crap fell down between the boards. I'd hose it down a few times a year to push the debris out.

The new porch is on piers and we chose tongue & groove Ipe for the floor. We're in the final stages of a 20-month remodel/addition project and I haven't taken photos yet. I'll try to remember to snap a pic tomorrow (it's dark now) of the new porch floor.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• wodka
    16 years ago

Our last house had a screened porch with stamped/stained concrete that resembled cobblestones. It was beautiful and so easy to maintain. Got compliments on it all of the time. We don't have a screened porch with the new house, but do have an outdoor kitchen/fireplace area, and went again with the stamped concrete. Again, beautiful. I'll try to find some pics and figure out how to post them one of these days.

• Related Discussions

Screened-in porch advice?

Q

Comments (31)
    Justgotabme-can't wait to see more pix! Can I ask a silly question? Why did you remove the ceiling? Luckily, we had our porch wired for 2 ceiling fans when we built the house. The electrician looked at us like we were nuts when we requested this, and now we know why-it gets pretty windy out here in the country! :-) But we plan on installing the fans when the porch is screened in. Amysrq=LOVELY porch! I am attempting to google Harvey, and not coming up with much yet....I will keep looking. I am hoping to find a system that will use some really wide panels. Juliekcmo-good idea to screen under the porch, but that would entail pulling all of the boards up......but I will mention it to the contractor! Thanks! Here is a link that might be useful: click
    ...See More

Flooring for concrete slab screened in porch?

Q

Comments (13)
    I'll tell ya what not to use- indoor/outdoor carpet. It's in my porch, the house came that way. It is even green. Handy enough covering at the time I suppose, but dang does it trap every last granule of dirt. And I use my porch for a lot of plant at the south side, and there is a built in with dirt surround pond at the north side. They had a hot tub for out there too- very posh. When it was new a couple decades ago. Is this a screened porch in a warm climate that will be open all year? Or do you see winter where snow will get in? Or perhaps if winter climate are you planning on winter panels to put up over the screens? Those will be factors in what kind of flooring is practical in a screened porch.
    ...See More

How to clean and treat screened porch Douglas fir flooring?

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi everyone, I'm getting all sorts of different direction on what to do to clean and maintain this porch floor. It's douglas fir tongue and groove (so no gaps). Screened and roofed porch but it is exposed to elements (rain, etc.). I had it installed in 2016 and oiled it at the time with Cabot Arborcoat Oil translucent. I had it redone in 2018/19 (I think the guy powerwashed, sanded and then - after it dried for a while - reoiled with the same Cabot). We want to do it ourselves this year (contractors are charging $1800 to have this done in my neck of the woods!!), but am being told - power wash, don't power wash, wash with vinegar and baking soda and hose, wash with deck cleaner, sand, don't sand.... I have no idea what to do. Can someone tell me best course of action?
    ...See More

Struggling with open floor plan and open screen porch

Q

Comments (1)
    annemarie hand And? No floor plan, pictures or anything posted.
    ...See More
  • perky_2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

wonbyherwits - I am just now (since posting this thread) learning about flagstone - very pretty. Our porch is on a slab. Thanks.

wildlifephotomom, I am LOL at the visual you painted with your reply about slate(so is DH). That was my concern. It is so beautiful but I had a feeling it would be hard to clean. Thanks for the infor - that is what I need to know and why I am asking. I love the colors...
    http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/perky2_photos/?action=view&current=CpprGryPatio_jpg.jpg

christie - our concrete porch has a rough finish. It is really hard to sweep. The porch is off the FR and there is lots of windows so the porch looks like part of the room. It is currently painted a red/burgandy color but is hard to maintain. I considered the stamping.

hoosiergirl. Thanks!

natal, your old porch is beautiful
    http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/perky2_photos/?action=view&current=natl.jpg
    wodka, the coblestone si another one that confused me. So pretty. I saw a picture of one today at the store that made me gasp - so pretty. I would love to see your picutes.

I want a more finished look than I have and something easy to maintain. We are having our front porch rebuilt to replace the wood to brick pavers, again to make it easier to maintain. We are getting and new columns and railing. We decided to so the back porch floor at the same time. Project creeper kinda' thing. Also I must just love adding pressure to an already busy life. I thought picking oput WTs was hard!

Thanks everyone! Please share any pictures or information you have. I am learning so much form you all!

• perky_2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oops - I copied the wrong link:
    love natal's old porch

The slate I WAS considering:

Brick pavers in consideration:

• wodka
    16 years ago

This is my first attempt at posting photo. Please tell me the easiest way to post - I'm using photobucket. I feel so stupid. Anyhow, if this works - it is a picture of our new home's stamped concrete, which we used on our driveway, patio, and sidewalk.

Here is a link that might be useful: photobucket

• annzgw
    16 years ago

wodka..........go to the pic you want to post and copy the HTML code under the pic. Then paste it in your text/post. It won't show up until you click on 'preview message'.

perky,
    We've had all the materials that have been mentioned and I think it comes down to how large your porch is, the style of your home and how the area will be used.

If the flooring is a raised deck then I'd highly recommend the new composites if you want a plank-floor look. Trex is one of the originals but there are others, in many colors, now available. We now have it on our back, covered deck and I'll never go back to wood planking.
    If it's an area you want to use often and want a really smooth surface, then punamy's suggestion of stained concrete is the way to go. Other alternatives is to use large (18x18) tiles or travertine. My DS built a beautiful screened entertaining room
    and put in large tile. Easy to clean, wash and is durable.

• wodka
    16 years ago

Let's try this --- {{!gwi}}

• wodka
    16 years ago

here's another (am I doing it too big?){{!gwi}}

• wildlifephotomom
    16 years ago

perky 2-
    If you can take a hose to this porch then slate might work-in fact maybe that is what I need to do-open the front door and take a hose to my slate in my entranceway then I won't have the problem with shredded mops and sponges-ha ha ha Best of luck-looks like you have gotten some excellent ideas and input.

• perky_2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

wodka, try the same steps as you did for your last post but copy the HTML instead...

Thanks for trying to do this.

• annzgw
    16 years ago

If it's an open area, my life saver for sweeping is a battery operated, light weight, handheld blower. Sold at HD for $60!

• perky_2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

wodka - Yea!!!! You did your 1st photo post! Congratulations. I remember how hard it was for me to do the 1st picture - you are a quicker study than perky.

OMG - your pictures are beautiful! The stamped concrete worked nicely witht he brick. WOW, it is an amazing space.

I am drooling.

• wodka
    16 years ago

perky, thanks so much! I have been wanting to post pictures since we started building our new house. Thanks for also liking our place. We lost our old one (with the screened porch) to Katrina. (I grieved long and hard over it, but now I'm so happy to be here!) Life goes on. Now that I know how to post, I'll see if I can't find one of our old screened porch.

If you decide to go with stamped concrete, you would be amazed at what they have to offer. When we went to the company's showroom, we were floored (pardon the pun) at the choices. They even make some that look like hardwood floor/planks. Good luck with your decision.

• natal
    16 years ago

Wodka, what a great outdoor area! You must be loving it this time of year.

• perky_2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

wodka, I teared up when I read your response. I am in the Florida Panhandle and OMG - my heart goes out to you. Katrina was so horrible. I am so glad you are recovering. Did you rebuild in the same area or did you relocate? God Bless you for your positive attitude (me standing in admiration with tears of respect and empathy.)

Everytime I close the thread - I pull it back up to drool some more. Finally just printed your pictures. Thank you. I look forward to seeing more.

annz - I guess I should have given more infor. The porch is enclosed, 12x34. Thanks for your reply. I know the tile would be the easiest to clean.

wildlifephotmom, I am still ROFLOL with your post. I can see the next post by you on installing a drain in the middle of your foyer floor to hose it down. Do they make those decorative, like star shaped? What color? How big? Rug over it when not in use, etc. I am sure your foyer is beautiful!

• wodka
    16 years ago

perky, you are so sweet -thanks for the kind words! No, we didn't rebuild on our old lot (too many memories, and I don't think I could live there comfortably again.) Plus, infrastucture was totally wiped out and they still haven't gotten it completely restored yet. Most of our neighbors moved away, anyway. We have our lot for sale, but with the enormous costs of insurance, plus so much devastation all around the area, not many folks interested.

So, on the bright side, we are here. It has been an exciting, creative time (starting completely over, even with furniture - lots of online purchases and Tuesday Morning's!) And yes, natal, we spent almost all of the holidays more outside than inside - grilling, cranking up the fireplace, etc. our backyard is small, but backs up to the golf course, and we've had many comments on the fireplace (Must be a "man thing?") One real nice gentleman (sounded like he was Irish) actually stopped his game to come over and take pictures. My husband loved it.

• wodka
    16 years ago

perky - I found pic of our old screened porch. It was actually a small patio that we had enclosed after the house was built. Just thought you could get a closer view of the stamped concrete (this was a little "redder" than what we have now.) {{!gwi}}

• perky_2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That is the cozy feel I want for the porch. The stamping looks just like tile. Really nice porch - thanks for posting.

• sedeno77
    16 years ago

Our is Mexican Saltillo - we've had for over 20 years.

• perky_2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

yvette, do you just live out there all the time? What a retreat!I love the way you arranged your furniture and decorated.

The tile is beautiful and looks smooth and easy to clean.

Thank you for posting.

• wodka
    16 years ago

I agree - yvette, your porch is like a garden!

perky - one more pic. This picture appeared in a national magazine - it's of our street, and what used to be our homes, after Katrina, only slabs remained. My husband insisted that we hang it somewhere in the new house. (At first, he wanted it hung in the foyer, and I said no, way - how depressing.) So we compromised and hung it on the landing. There were only a handful of houses that made it through, at the far end of the street. They have it documented that we had a 32 ft. storm surge. {{!gwi}}

• perky_2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

wodka: what a picture... I think I would have a sign made to go over the picture that says something like, " I celebrate life! I survived Katrina."

I cannot imagine the pain that you all went through with Katrina. It was painful to watch from the media. Cannot imagine living it.

I am glad you posted the picture. Thanks.

• natal
    16 years ago

Wodka, as horrible as it must have been, you're definitely a testament that life goes on. Your new home is beautiful!

Perky, here's that promised pic a few days late. We had initially planned on finishing the Ipe, but decided to let it weather. The landing and stairs have already begun the process, but I think it'll be much slower on the porch floor.

• wodka
    16 years ago

Thanks, natal. We are loving our new home. My old screened porch looks dinky, compared to all of yours. I guess it's that old saying "absence makes the heart grow fonder." We had good times there, but when I dug up the old picture, it didn't look as nice as I remembered. ha. You can't really tell, but the haze in the background was the Gulf of Mexico. The empty acreage lot to the left of us was being cleared for a high-rise condo development, so our paradise, even if Katrina hadn't happened, was getting ready to be closed in by commercial development. Of course, since Katrina, it's all pretty much just empty, and all looks like that empty lot.

But let's talk about beautiful porches - yours is absolutely beautiful. I love screened porches, the intimacy they provide, yet you're outside, breathing fresh air. Oh, yes, and no bugs or mosquitoes - big plus!

• perky_2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks natal! Wow your porch is beautiful. The floors look as good as indoor hardwood. Can you put IPE over concrete?

wodka, I think your previous porch was lovely and cozy. Your memory was correct that it was a perfect porch.

• natal
    16 years ago

Perky, Ipe needs ventilation, so it wouldn't work directly on top of concrete.

Have you made a decision yet?

• wodka
    16 years ago

I remember seeing this one when you initially posted it - absolutely charming!

• Jeane Gallo
    16 years ago

We have stamped concrete for our patio, but have Everstone for our screened porch floor. I love it. The porch floor is on a raised concrete slab which had some dips in places. The Everstone levelled it out and when it rains in, the water doesn't pool anymore. It comes in lots of colors - we had a border put around in the edge in a darker color and it really looks pretty. It is cold and rainy here today, so I don't know if I'll get a picture taken or not. It is easy to walk on barefooted, and is easy to clean with a hose. BTW, I love the stamped concrete for the patio, too. Our contractor grouted it after the installation and it looks like real stone. He made it look like brick around the edge and ashlar stone on the rest of it.

• perky_2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

kellyleeann - wow another beautiful porch! Thank you for posting.

May I ask of what material your rails are made?

That fireplace is fabulous! Great addition.

• kellyleeann
    16 years ago

Perky 2 - Thank you so much, we love our porch and it has been such a dramatic change in our yard.

{{!gwi}}

LOL!!!
    Anyways the rails are prefabricated by Home Depot and are easy to install.

• Jeane Gallo
    16 years ago

I managed to get a picture of the screen porch flooring, Everstone, this morning. It's very overcast outside.
    {{!gwi}}Here is a close up.
    {{!gwi}}Here is the stamped concrete that has been grouted.
    {{!gwi}}This is the second house where we've had the stamped concrete patio. Even the 'brick' edges are concrete. We have been very pleased with it. Our neighbor got it where it all looked like brick in a herringbone pattern. It looked beautiful, but was hot underfoot in the summer. (South Carolina) If you live in a hot summer climate, I would recommend staying with light colors.

• magnolias_moonlight
    16 years ago

Thought I add this info. to the flooring discussion. I've never posted before but have enjoyed reading all the comments and viewing the beautiful photos.
    I just had a screened in porch built on the back on my home and we used a T & G (tongue and groove) pine floor. The pine is pressure treated, then kiln dried afterwards to prevent shrinkage and other problems. My contractor nailed and glued it down to make sure it doesn't try gap or warp. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to stain it or paint it with a porch paint. If anyone wants to see it, I'll try to figure out how to post a photo. The reason I went with the T & G is because I read mosquitoes can come up between the boards if you just use regular decking.
    M & M

• natal
    16 years ago

M&M, we had planned on doing the same thing until our contractor put T&G PT on the workshop porch floor and within a month it started to cup and crack. Wish we had used decking there instead, because bugs weren't an issue. People who use decking on raised screen porches usually put screening underneath the decking.

• perky_2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

jeane_gallo, your porch is beautiful I never heard of Everstone before (I am underexposed to these things). It is very pretty. I am doing the google thing to learn more. I just showed my DH the stamped concrete and he is amazed as I am about the edges looking so much like brick! It is lovely and the little boy is a winner for sure! Thanks for posting.

I am learning so much from all of you. We heard from the contracter today so I gotta' start making a decision.

Kellyleann - OMG, the what a difference you made with your addition! Wow! Great job!

magnolias_moonlight, welcome to the board! I look forward to seeing your pictures, it sounds beautiful. Did you see the instructions to post pics? You will love the site.

• magnolias_moonlight
    16 years ago

Hi Natal,
    Do you know if the T&G was kiln dried after it was pressured treated? From what I understand, the cupping occurs if it isn't kiln dried afterwards. My contractor said this is a recent product and is supposed to be just for porches. He also put down some kind of special wood flooring that looked a little like ply wood but is supposed to be a lot better. That gave them something to nail and glue it to. So far it's rained and snowed twice and it is still smooth. It's been down about a month. If it ever warms up again, my painter is going to either paint it or stain it...once I make up my mind which way to go. I'll try to post some photos of it, as is. It's just the raw wood right now but it should give you some idea. The screens are not in yet since all the painting came to a halt when the really cold weather moved in last week.
    I'll try to post some pics...need to read up on how to do that.

• magnolias_moonlight
    16 years ago

Thanks Perky for the welcome! Great to find others to chat with who are going through similar stress :-) and fun!
    Magnolias_Moonlight

• magnolias_moonlight
    16 years ago

Here's the first photo...the painters have the ceiling fans covered with plastic and have the floors partially covered with paper around the edges from where they have been painting the rails. I'll post another photo that is closer up. The floor hasn't been stained or painted yet...so this is the bare wood. You can see some snow on one of the decks in the background...SNOW IN GEORGIA...doesn't happen that often here! :-)
    {{!gwi}}

• magnolias_moonlight
    16 years ago

This photo of the flooring is a bit closer up.
    Oh, Natal, I forgot to say in my other posting. One of the reasons I didn't go with the screening below is because I read that debris and stuff can get caught when it falls through. When I went on a historic home tour earlier this spring, I saw a porch with the screening...and it does tend to trap stuff. Also, we are thinking of finishing in the area underneath...maybe a patio just outside the basement/terrace level...so I hoping the T&G works as it is supposed to. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Mag
    {{!gwi}}

• perky_2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

mag - beautiful! Love the view! The enclosure is fabulous too. Snow matches well - how 'bout this cold weather! Thank you so much for sharing.

I am learning so much but honestly, when mine is done, I am going to be timid about posting my pictures. Compared to the beautiful porches that keep coming up here - well, mine isn't gonna' be as massive and beautiful as the ones you guys have, hmmm. I WILL post - just to warn you - it will not take your breath away like yours have done for me.

DH is leaning toward brick pavers, I am loving the stamped, and wood.

• magnolias_moonlight
    16 years ago

Thanks Perky for the kind words! I can't wait to see your photos. It amazes me how many different styles of screened porches we have seen just on this forum.
    I love the brick pavers, too. I don't know if I could have done those on this porch..since it's a full story up...I don't think so. But if I were screening in on a lower level or ground level...I would love to use the brick pavers. The look of brick is so warm and cozy to me and you can water your plants without having to worry about the water splashing on the floor. I really like the stamped concrete pictures I've seen here, too.
    With this porch we just had built, I am going for an old fashioned looking screened porch...with the white wicker. The forum may not still be going on come Spring...but if it is...or a similar forum...I'll post some photos once I get the porch furnished, now that I know how. I bought an old china cabinet/side board I'm going to paint a soft green or a periwinkle blue...or some pretty whimsical color...it will be on the porch to store things in...like dishes/china for dining. I've been looking for an old drop leaf table I can paint to put on the porch. It will stay closed down until I want to have a candlelight dinner party out on the porch. Hard to imagine that happening when my it's 23 degrees outside and snow on the deck. I have faith though...spring/summer will come again! :-)

• natal
    16 years ago

Mag, to tell you the truth I have no idea if it was kiln dried. I'll have to ask dh. The cupping and cracking happened on the end of the boards on the side exposed to the weather. Just one of many "issues" we have with the contractor and his subs.

Your porch looks gorgeous! Is that going to be screened up high too?

I'm not crazy about screening underneath for the same reason. We used PT decking boards on the old porch and dirt, leaves, cat hair, was constantly falling down between the cracks. Nothing a good power wash couldn't flush out, but you can't do that with screening.

• magnolias_moonlight
    16 years ago

Hi Natal,
    I was very nervous about using the T&G...hope I don't end up regretting it. I read somewhere to be sure and paint the ends of the boards to try to prevent warping. I don't know if staining is enough to stop it. I had originally planned on painting it...for the old fashioned porch look...may end up doing that in the end. I really sorry you had that bad experience. If this ends up cupping, my contractor will be hearing from me, because he has promised me it won't do that. Well see.....
    Yes, the top area will be screened, also. Here's a photo of the two decks and the porch from the yard. We tore off the old deck which was in terrible condition.
    {{!gwi}}

I'll post a photo of the front porch we added as part of this renovation project, also.
    Mag

• magnolias_moonlight
    16 years ago

Hi Natal and Perky,
    Here's the front porch that was just added at the same time the screened porch and decks were being built. Once the temperatures go back up again, the front door will be painted a bright red and the shutters will be black.
    After the photo of my porch below, you will see the picture that was in Southern Homes Magazine that my builder went by to build my front porch. He came pretty close I think...let me know what you think.
    Oh, and the roof is being changed to one that looks a little less industrial and more like the one in the photo.
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• perky_2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OMG - it just keeps getting better!

• magnolias_moonlight
    16 years ago

Thanks! Please tell me all the stress has been worth it! :-)
    It's been crazy and stressful...been at this since middle of October...ready for all the projects to end. We also had half the basement/terrace level finished in...I think we are out of out minds! :-)
    Never do three big projects at once! Repeat after me...Never do three projects at once. :-)

• perky_2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am telling you: the stress has been worth it! :-)

ahhhhh!

• natal
    16 years ago

Mag, you have a beautiful home! I'm sure it'll all be worth it ... that's what they keep telling me, lol.

• magnolias_moonlight
    16 years ago

Thanks Natal and Perky...appreciate the encouragement!

BTW, I e-mailed my contractor last night to ask him what the special underlayment (subflooring) was that he used under the T&G on the screened porch...just in case that is helpful to know. He e-mailed back and said it's called:
    Advantech. It's a composite flooring that is "specifically engineered to provide more water resistance and stability than plywood". And the T&G is KDAT (Kiln Dried After Treatment) Pine Flooring.
    Perky, here's two links to two local companies here in the Atlanta area that have have LOTS of photos on their websites of screened porches. Some are interior shots so you can see the floors. I spent a fair amount of time drooling over these two sites when my porch was being built. :-)
    If you click on "Photo Gallery" on each site, you'll be able to see the photos. Have fun!
    http://www.deckwright.com/portfolio_porches.html

http://www.archadeck.com/gallery.asp?selpics=Screened%20Porches&subcat=1&offset=&image=4709