SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

My finished Sea Turtle rug (5 pictures)

alisande
13 years ago

I finished the hooking today on the wall hanging for my expected grandchild. I haven't sewn on the binding yet, but I thought I'd take some pictures. The baby shower is tomorrow!

Here's the explanation for the way the design looks: My intention was to show the turtle under water. I began hooking the bottom with the darkest blues and greens, then did the next level with lighter values, the idea being that the water would gradually go from dark to light as we looked toward the surface from under the sea. The bright area at the top was supposed to be sunlight reflecting on a small area of the surface of the water. Well, I guess I didn't change colors gradually enough. The finished rug looks like the turtle is swimming on the surface of turbulent water, with the sky and sun above him. I'm not complaining....actually, I like it this way. However anyone wants to interpret it is just fine with me.

I dyed all the wool myself except for the lettering, which came from a pair of navy blue pants, and the bright colors of the turtle, which was purchased in small quantities ($1 per color) for this project. It's a small rug (18x24"), and it's hard to believe it actually took me 87 hours* to hook it. I guess I really am a slow hooker!

* It was easy to calculate because I had the TV on the whole time I hooked, streaming Law and Order SVU (because I know the voices and didn't have to look up very often). I went through 122 episodes! LOL

Comments (32)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer