SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennyv_gw

Mold and other problems on new cedar deck

jennyv
15 years ago

Some advice from the experts, please! I posted this summer with a problem we experienced with our newly stained, newly built clear cedar deck: the contractor who stained the deck did not wait long enough after rain, and as a result we had spotting as well as tacky areas on the deck. (Celeste from Carolina Prowash: thanks for talking to me on the phone back then! I tried rubbing turpentine on the tacky areas, but they didn't soften.)

My husband refused to pay the contractor in full -- we paid him half, and he said he'd come back in the fall to fix the problem. He just called and is now ready to fix it (and, if he does a good job, collect the rest of his money).

My question is, what should we have him do? I just noticed black moldy spots on the flooring -- is this also related to not letting the wood dry out properly?

Does the entire deck need to be stripped and restained? Should we do it now, or wait until spring? Should we insist that the contractor use a moisture meter? (he didn't when he first stained the deck, but I've read that this is essential.). Please help!! Thanks!

Comments (2)