SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
l_mtl

New cedar deck very disappointing stain job

l_mtl
16 years ago

I have a new red cedar deck that was completed at the beginning of August. I was completely scared by the staining job (and rightfully so). I was so afraid that it would get some orangey color that I just hate. So I was very careful. I read about all the info I could about deck staining and follow as much as I could or at least my interpretation of what I should be doing.

- I let a few weeks go by to let it dry.

- As recommended, I went to a paint store (Benjamin Moore) and bought their best oil-based, semi-transparent paint.

- I did multiple tests to custom make the color I wanted (3 trips to the store).

- I ordered PressurePros Restore-A-Deck, but after a month without receiving the product (I am in Canada), I had to proceed and bought, from Benjamin Moore, a soap for the deck. It did a very nice job of washing and brightening it.

- On Wednesday PM, I washed thoroughly the deck, all 400 square feet of it

- Thursday and Friday were cloudy days, so I decided that they wouldnt count as 'drying days'. Saturday was a bright sunny day; perfect for the deck to dry.

- So Sunday, as soon as the dew was goned, I started to stain the deck with a staining brush. As recommended, I apply it 'wet on wet'. I was covering 3 planks and coming back when the 3 next were done, making sure that all parts were stained and making sure that no puddle of stain accumulate.

- After a few hours, I was very very happy with the color. It is a multidimensional color, a rich mix of brown, red and orange.

- However, apprehensively watching it dry, I saw that patches seem to be darker than others. I was scared but did not know what to do. .. Maybe, I thought, it is because they are not dry yet.

- After 48 hours, I can now say that the color is very beautiful, but that I completely screwed up the application. I dont have one or two patches that are different. I have a 'skunk type' of deck where you have planks that have absorbed all the stain, some that half has absorbed it, but not the other half, and some that have not absorbed at all the stain (therefore very shiny). It is also completely random. I turned to the Web for an explanation. It seems like I have put too much stain. If this is true, why do I have such a random pattern? Why was there so much difference in the way the wood absorb the stain? Was I supposed to use a rag and remove all 'excess' stain as I was applying it or a few minutes later? (maybe I missed that step in all the info I read)

Im completely at loss. What happened? What have I done wrong? What should I do now?

- Should I give a second coat? I feel like I shouldnt because the shiny spots will just get more stain and be shinier

- Should I sand this all back and start over? To do so, though, I have to identify what went wrong so that I dont do it again next time

- Should I just wait that all this coat disappear (1-2 years) and just then give another coat?

I dont know what I should do now and what I should do next time. Any idea would be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Lyne

Comments (2)