SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cottagecindy

help? on cement curb/garden strip border edge

cottagecindy
11 years ago

I have an old cottage (1930's) that has a skinny driveway and 2' from house.

when they built this thing, they put a cement curb/border along the driveway to allow a planter bed next to the house.

a new gate/fence was put up recently and pushed the garden bed down a bit.

so..... i would like to 'finish off this border" thing-- (it looks stupid the way it looks now)

I have built a form with 2x4s and 2x6s "L shape" on about 100" long including the turn up to the fence/gate. It is well supported-either in the ground dirt, or bricks up against it on the driveway. I have 6 bags of quick set concrete.

so..............can I do this alone.? I know i have to mix it, pour it, float it, level, then take the boards off at the "right" time, I have a one sided float with a curve to look like the rest of it. (oh yeh, do I NEED(??) to oil the boards? and with what?

and to top it off, the driveway is not flat, shocker there huh? but I have plenty of shims I hope to keep the concrete from oozing onto driveway. No, I don't have expansion joint anything.

just need advice I'm begging. I need to do this, my husband won't help -literally-- (and he's out of town so no annoying...)

I can't afford to hire someone. How can I do this by myself. :( and no, never worked with concrete before.

My landlord did the fence etc. but too busy to do this cement curb, so I'd like to really help him --he has done so much for me.

Comments (5)