SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smlechten

Need help/ideas for edging or border of beds next to concrete

smlechten
18 years ago

I've tried to read through as many posts as I can to see if similar ideas or answers had been posted, but didn't see anything that actually matched my situation. I have several flower beds (ornamental/perenial) that sit against a concrete walkway, driveway and curb. The beds are not mounded and I don't intend to mound them, because that look is not particularly appealing to me. However the mulch is at the same level as the concrete and the mulch and soil spill/blow over onto my paths. I use a local organice compost mulch (sweet peet by urban organics) so it is finer, like large dirt, not like shredded hardwood or bark mulch. It is dark brown, almost black when applied, then it fades to a reddish-chocolate color over time and when it is dry. The pavement is a grayish-white standard cement. The contrast of colors doesn't bother me (not sure if it should) - but I think the edge should match one or the other - don't want to have red brick in between brown and white. If it matters my house is orangy-red brick face with dark brown cedar trim. I'd like to keep my mulch in the beds, not spilling over onto the sidewalk, curb, and driveway because it's messy and annoying to maintain. I was considering black plastic edging, then found a post that mentioned bendaboard by epic plastics - but I don't know if I can even get that in my area. I didn't really want a decorative border. I wanted something that would be as unnoticeable as possible. It's purpose is not so much definition, as just to contain the mulch, and keep everthing neat and tidy. I was thinking maybe 1 to 2 inches above the cement, right up flush against the cement. I noticed that I haven't seen anyone else anywhere using edging in this manner - so that got me thinking maybe there is a reason for that. I also noticed that a lot of people have very strong feelings about edging in general. I don't want to spend the time and money to buy and install something then hate the way it looks, and I'm having trouble visualizing the finished effect. Has anyone tried this and care to share their results, or found another solution to a similar problem that was visually appealing or unnoticeable? Anyone have any ideas or opinions on if my original plan would look ridiculous and I'd be unhappy with it? At first thought it seemed like a good idea, but now I'm picturing floating contained mulch above my sidewalk. Can you tell I'm really new at this? I have 2 and 3 year old boys, and little time to spend maintaining anything complicated, or even uncomplicated. My goal in everything is low maintainence only if no maintainence is impossible. Also safety for the boys is paramount - no sharp edged copper (or any metal) sheeting.

Thanks for any and all ideas or suggestions,

Sherri

Comments (8)