SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

LynninNewMexico's Kitchen Hood Being Built (Pics)

lynninnewmexico
13 years ago

Over on Angel's kitchen cabinet thread, Ghostlyvision commented on how her DH would love a hood in their kitchen like mine. Although mine was built during our kitchen reno by our GC, I think that it might be doable for a handy person to do themselves. I took pics of ours as it was being built.

First, a view of the Before Kitchen. And, yes, we also had the window to the right of the fridge taken out, too.

{{!gwi}}

End of Day #1/The Gutting:

{{!gwi}}

The hood being framed in. You can see the vent, new ductwork etc. in this pic. Those were put in first and then the framing for the hood built around it. The "legs" were temporary, until everything could be attached securely to the adobe brick walls. The wiring had to be put into channels chiseled into the adobe bricks, which isn't difficult, as they're fairly soft. The vent pipe itself, curves and goes out through the back wall. It could also have gone up through the roof.

{{!gwi}}

Next they added more fiberboard (I think that's what it is)to enclose the sides. They carved away the sharp corners a bit with a saw. And then a plasterer hand-trowled on coats of some kind of plaster that went on brown and cured over a day to the beautiful white coat that's on there now. It wasn't painted, but it could be. Regular plaster and then paint may work just as well. The curved edges were created by the plaster coats. I designed this hood completely by myself and wanted the ledge to prop paintings up on.

It started off as brown:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

And cured to a warm creamy white:

{{!gwi}}

It's now the centerpiece of our kitchen and I'm really proud of well it turned out. The view from our family room into our kitchen used to be of a refrigerator; it's much nicer now!

{{gwi:1404908}}

Ghostlyvision, I hope that perhaps your DH can use these pics to someday build one for you, too.

Lynn

Comments (7)