SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
backsweat

Any Microwave Hood Converts or Hood Experts? Pics

backsweat
16 years ago

Considering doing a makeover of our kitchen and need some advice.

Countertops, lighting and all appliances would be replaced. I'd also tile the splash. Simple plan would be to drop in a stainless cooktop and microwave.

I'm considering putting in a stainless hood as well as range cooktop with the handles in front. The issue as I see it is that the cabinets above the hood, would need to be re-sized (shorter), so that the hood can be installed higher, acheiving the 30-36" from the cooking surface. (like a Thermador 30" range top & 30" hood for example)

1. I know it's not my ideal, but is the hood size being the exact size of the cooktop going to look cheesy? Ideally, I'd like to go wider on the hood, which means all new cabinets.

2. I haven't removed the microwave that's up there, but I assume that if I cut down the top cabinet, that i'm going to need to modify the vent location thats behind it. (raise it). While I have the wearwithall to raise the vent location, I won't be able to re-located the height of the entire run to the exterior wall. Is adding an elbow to move it up permissible or asking for exhaust issues?

3. Is there a certain kind of fan/vent hole mod kit that I should be looking for? ie, if I look at the Thermador 30" vents, it looks like there's 5 or 6 different vent angles/locations.

4. To re-locate the microwave, I could go on the counter or was considering going with a Microwave/Convection, double combo. To the right of the cooktop/micro is a cabiet with double oven in it now. We rarily use the double oven and could live without. Is this a mistake?

5. Is doing this worth the effort? The cabinets are about 10 years old, but the outfit that made them is still around. I'd have them remake the uppers so that they are shorter, so that would have a professional/finished look.

Any input/advice would be appreciated. Doesn't look like it, but there's a lot of cabinets and butlers pantry. Replaceing all the cabinets with good quality would be at least 15K in material. Can't afford to do that right now.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County