SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erin5050

IPE deck ?'s

erin5050
17 years ago

IÂve read the posts on IPE decks for hours and hours and hours (sometimes quite entertaining as well as informative. Thanks Pros!). IÂve done my best to learn everything I can about IPE decks, but I still have some questions. I have two decks to do. One is a covered porch (Truly right next to the pool. The pool is less than 4 feet below tucked into the L shaped porch) and the other one is a second story porch that will not be covered. I will probably feel much more comfortable if I can find a good person (in Atlanta, GA) to put the decks in, but I thought I should know as much as I can before picking someone for the job (wish John Hyatt lived here!). I donÂt want to pick someone thatÂs never worked with IPE before and I wouldnÂt know a good guy from a "bad" guy if I didnÂt have all the information that you guys have provided under my belt. I apologize for the long post. Thanks for any help you can give me!!

1. If doing an IPE T&G deck, do you not see the screws because itÂs T&G? Are the screws only seen in decks with spaces between the boards?

2. If I do need to use screws that show, does plugging the screw holes pose any problems? If you plug do you then have to sand the whole deck so the deck doesnÂt show weird sanding spots from getting the plugs flush?

3. Do I need to do the RAD cleaner and brightener prep work before I use 116 TWP on a new IPE installation?

4. If I do need to sand the porch (for the plugs) do I need to do something to clean the deck off before applying 116 TWP (besides a good sweep)?

5. The second story porch already has a PT foundation/joists or whatever itÂs called thatÂs been installed. They will have been sitting (and drying out) for several weeks before the IPE deck goes on. The covered porch below does not have joists etc. put in and probably wonÂt until the 11th hour before the IPE T&G goes in. As I understand it (at least in Georgia) PT is coming out of the mills green because of demand. That would cause possible shrinking and affect the IPE T&G. Should we just use IPE for the foundation structure/joists of the covered porch? Especially since it is right next to the nice moisture creating pool?

6. Should the second story porch NOT be T&G since it will be so exposed to the elements?

7. Is there any problem with very slightly angling the covered porch so any rain water that gets on it will run off into the pool? The way the porch was before, the outside edge of the porch was slightly angled up (for whatever silly reason) and the water (we had very bad gutters) would collect a foot into the porch and rot the wood.

Comments (2)