SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrjorgensen_gw

Questions on Ipe Deck Project (deck desgn included)

jrjorgensen
16 years ago

Hi all. I received great help from this forum when building a screened porch a couple of years ago.

Now I am preparing to build an Ipe deck that will connect to the screened porch. Here is an idea of what it will look like.

Note that the screened porch is already there. We will be building the bridge from the screened porch to the deck and the deck itself.

The screened porch floor is 1x6 T&G Ipe. Great stuff. Thanks George at East Teak -- I will be calling again! For the decking I am thinking of using 6 x 5/4 (though the alternating 6" and 4" deck was interesting). I would then have the joists 24" OC. Is this OK? Will I regret not going 16"? My primary reason for 24" OC is $ and additional ventilation. As you can see the deck will be at ground level for part of the deck going all the way to about 4.5' off the sloping ground on the other side.

I plan on using vents on the skirting and on the deck near the house. Will space the deck boards at 1/8" (for additional ventilation?). Any other ideas on ventilation? Speaking of skirting, John (if you are reading this) I like the way you have the Ipe running vertical on the decks shown on your website. Do you think this would look OK even on the 4.5' tall side? How is the skirting secured at the bottom? Also like the benches you built -- any advice on building those? I'm planning on a built-in bench on the right side of the deck near the house.

How about material to cover the ground below the deck? Iam removing a couple of retaining walls. I assume I should grade the dirt aloping away from the house and put down lanscape fabric or plastic and pea gravel?

BTW, the 8'x8' area off the deck will actually have a covered roof like a similar design in Family Handyman a month or so ago. We are building this for our disabled daughter so she can enjoy the outdoors and have a lot of sensory toys in it to play with.

Any additional advice/input would be appreciated? Thanks.

Jim

Comments (5)