SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bestyears_gw

Off topic ... Adirondacks... Pls forgive me!

16 years ago

I'm so sorry this is completely off-topic, but the vacations board is very slow and I need some real life input. And if it's any consolation, I do LOVE the looks of homes in the region I'm asking about!

Last summer we took an amazing 5-week/6200 mile road trip. Just amazing... Of all the places we visited, I fell most in love with the Adirondacks, even though we barely sampled the area. (We drove from Albany up to Lake George where we stayed for a few days). So now I am thinking of renting a lakefront cottage somewhere in the Adirondacks for a week. There are a zillion lakes in the area and I'm looking for some inside knowledge. I'm originally from NH myself, and I cringe when I see 'lakefront cottage" for rent, when I know for a fact that the lake described is an overgrown mudhole, and of course don't want to end up in such a spot myself. We're looking for a decent size lake that will lend itself to some exploring, but not as large as Lake George. We'd like to rent a motorboat for the duration, so a lake with a marina would be great. We also plan to kayak and canoe. In terms of location, close to but not right in the hub bub would be ideal. It looks like $1500-$2000/week is about the range. Does anyone know of any beautiful lakes that fit the bill? Any websites that might help out an out-of-towner trying to get they lay of the land? Our family consists of mom, dad, a 16 yr old son, and 13 yr old daughter. I'm looking primarily for the lovely languid times that lake vacations provide, but it would be nice to be somewhat close to a few other fun spots we could explore for a day or two as well.

Thank you SO much in advance,

Lynn

Comments (16)