SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fnmroberts

A Winters' Redecorating Complete - Long, sorry

16 years ago

More than a year ago I posted photos taken of our homes interior. Several offered comments, favorable and constructive. All of them were appreciated and taken into account when, this winter, redecorating was undertaken.

We ended up DIYing everything because neither of the painters who visited responded with a proposal. It took DH five weeks to paint the foyer/stairs, living/dining rooms. He rented scaffolding to reach 17 foot foyer ceilings and used a variety of ladders. There was wallpaper to remove and considerable drywall cracking at corners requiring repair. The house is 12 years old and these areas had never been changed.

IÂve moved away from a monochromatic look. Our new paint colors are SW Duration Matte  Latte for the accent color in the Foyer, Kilim Beige for the Living/Dining rooms and Divine White beginning at the stairway landing, then continuing through the entire 2nd floor hall. They are from the same palette but donÂt distinguish themselves well in photos due to a shadow effect. Ceilings are a bright ceiling white  I chose not to go with a hue of the walls. Art Niches are painted Library Pewter, to compliment the bronzes, but in my photos this color doesnÂt show well.

Here are details of what has been changed in respective rooms.

Living/Dining Rooms /Foyer  removed foyer wallpaper and painted. Changed the foyer chandelier, adding a medallion too. Reupholstered all chair seats. Rearranged furniture and substituted a new love seat. I have considered new chairs to flank the front window however the room size and window placement just wonÂt permit a symmetrical arrangement (the cabinet between the chairs must stay because it holds more china and I have nowhere else where it can fit).

What would you think of two different chairs? I donÂt want to upstage the mauve accent chair.

Made new LR drapery panels, reupholstered the cornices and added a "fan" atop the LR windows. Panels for the DR windows are on order in the same color fabric as in the LR but plain, not tufted. DH would like plantation shutters in the LR but I like the softness of fabric. And, I believe the LR/DR must be similar and that so many shutters would be too much. Care to comment?

Office  Repainted same color  Ralph Lauren Cameroon Green - removed some and rearranged remaining furniture after installing a Brazilian Cherry floor.

Kitchen  removed some of the wallpaper and painted a red accent wall - SW Poinsettia. Next winter we plan to redecorate the Kitchen and Family Room. Probably new counters (black), stainless appliances, a tile backsplash and different window treatments and color theme though I like the accent so it might remain.

Master Bedroom  changed the draperies/bedspread for a fresh and more formal look.

That pretty much covers what we have done during this years long winter. Would appreciate any suggestions that might enhance what has been accomplished.

Thanks in advance. Before and After photos are linked from "My Page".

Comments (15)