SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crazyzoo

Help with my mudroom..color, decorating, etc.

crazyzoo
13 years ago

Wanting to get some decorating ideas for my mudroom!

{{!gwi}}

So this is my ugly mudroom - LOL! It was a light tan color at first, but it was flat paint and got dingy with two dogs running in and out. So I re-painted it a dark chocolate brown. Oops - bad idea. There aren't any windows in the mudroom. There is a door that leads outside, but it doesn't have any windows or a storm either. The mudroom is actually off the side of my house, if that helps any. There is no "back" door - so the side is the back, and it leads into a 6' privacy fenced area.

Right now it has stick tile. Underneath the stick is a nasty white linoleum. I'd like to change it to ceramic tile - but I've never installed it before. Is it really difficult? Any other ideas? I don't want laminate, as I have that in several other areas of the house. There are actually hardwoods under the linoleum, but I'm sure they are trashed/too far gone. Old house - built in 1925. The living room floor I unearthed was a goner. I need something durable that cleans up easily due to the 2 dogs. Def not carpet.

I've heard of light reflecting paint by Ralph Lauren - but the local hardware stores don't carry RL paint anymore. Is there any other brands of reflecting paint? What color should I do? I'm trying to brighten it up. There is a recessed square light in the ceiling near the basement door and side door. There is also a bronze two light fixture now where you see the ugly white outdoor fixture the flippers used.

I'm wanting to sell the house in a year or so - so I'm trying to tone it down and make it work for someone else.

Here's the set up of the space - You walk inside from the side door, and there is a 7ft by 5ft square area which leads to the basement door. There is a narrow 7 foot hallway that rounds the corner into another 8 ft hall stretch - where the bathroom, closet, and other hallway leading into the laundry/kitchen is. It's such an odd shape/area, I have a hard time coming up with ideas for it. Decorating tips? On the cheap would be great!

Open to any and all ideas - I know it's ugly at the moment! Also open to most any paint colors - Not a real fan of yellow - tried it before in my living room. I was thinking of a light gray in a glossy sheen??

Comments (12)