SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blottfish

Wrap tall 4x4 PT pergola posts

blottfish
16 years ago

Greetings all. I'd like to thank everyone in advance for all the tips and information I've gleaned from here to date relating to IPE.

I've just finished up most of a 12x30 IPE deck. At some point my wife talked me into putting a pergola/trellis top to the whole thing. As part of my design I placed four tall 4x4 PT posts along the front and built the pergola header beam on top of these posts. Being a weekend warrior, it's taken me a long time to get to the point where I'm now ready to do the pergola part, and naturally my 4x4 posts have warped and twisted a good deal.

Since my goal was always to wrap them to achieve a nice fat look, I need some advice about the best way to do this. Under normal conditions it seems you'd build first and slide over, or build directly around. I'm going to use treated pine or MDF for the wrap, not IPE. Considering the twisting and the fact that I can't slide them over (because of the pergola beam) what are the thoughts on using spacers so that I don't have to attach directly to the posts? Any advice at all is welcomed.

Cheers,

~James

Comments (8)