SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dan_the_mailman

Fat Quarter Round Robin

dan_the_mailman
13 years ago

Here's the plan. Once we have 10 people sign-up for this, I'll send out a box with 10 fat quarters in it. That person will keep as many as s/he likes, replace them, and then send the box on to the next person. The last person to receive the box will send it back to me once they've had a chance to peruse the fabric treasures.

Now for the guidelines...

1) Sign-up here and then e-mail your name, address, phone number, e-mail address, and garden web name to me.

2) This is open to anyone who has been a member of the garden web for a minimum of one year and has positive reviews in the rate-and-review forum. There will be no exceptions to this. I'm creating this guideline because sometimes a box goes missing within a round robin, and I don't want this to happen here.

3) All material should be 100% cotton, clean, with no stains. Prints, solids, batiks, novelty, all are welcome! Just make sure it's something usable, that's all.

4) When you mail out your box, you MUST put a delivery confirmation number on it. This is for your protection, and will allow everyone to follow the box as it makes its way around the country.

5) HAVE FUN WITH THIS!!!

When I mail out the box, I will include mailing labels for everyone to use. If you can think of anything else we should do to make this a fun time, speak up! If you just have something to say, speak up! Conversation is always a good thing!

-Dan

Comments (54)

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kate, thanks for the input! On the Round Robin Forum we try to encourage people to use the rate & review forum, but you do make a valid point. I know of a lot of people who are great traders who don't have many/any reviews. So, I think we'll "relax" that guideline to just keeping this to people who've been with the GW for a year or more. That should weed out the people who like to use the swaps as ways to get something for nothing. I'm NOT accusing anyone, but I've seen it happen in various swaps, so I'm a little gunshy about letting in someone who hasn't proven themselves yet. Sad, I know, because that doesn't give newbies a chance to shine, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Toolgranny, yes, I posted this to the correct group. The Round Robin Forum is where I normally hang out to swap plants, seeds, etc. However, since this is the Quilting Forum, I thought this would be the proper place to post a Fabric Round Robin. As for the rate & review forum, that is a place where you can go and leave feedback about someone you've met through the garden web about a trade or swap you were involved with them in.

Okay, anyone else have any questions?

Oh, one more thing I've thought of since posting the original post for this. I'd also like to limit this to the United States. I know there are great traders in other countries, but to keep things moving and in order to not involve any problems over properly filled out customs forms, keeping it to the US would be a good idea.

Wishing you all a great night!
    -Dan

• Debra Andruska
    13 years ago

Dan,
    I would love to join, please count me in! I'll send in my info right away!

Deb

• Related Discussions

Now taking sign-ups for Fat Robin Round 3

Q

Comments (0)
    Taking sign-ups for Round Robin 3 For those that would like to join in on this round. Please go to http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roundrobin/msg021454038216.html Jennifer
    ...See More

NEW: Everyone welcome Seed Round Robin

Q

Comments (120)
    I've posted the seed pics on 3 different forums but still havent gotten an ID yet. I've tried searching seed ID web sites also but no luck. I'm really really curious! Help anyone, anyone ??? There was only one seed of each type. Think I'll plant the white one and see what i get....such anticipation! hope it grows something wonderful :)
    ...See More

NEW: Seeds-N-Stitches Swap for January 2011

Q

Comments (85)
    Hope everyone is staying warm and safe this weekend. Schools are closed here tomorrow; we're getting an ice day. Here is an update of who has received their bookmark(s) so far: Dan_the_mailman: received Lindaruzicka: received quiltingfox: received gmom2-6boys: received ilovefarac: received micyrey: received HoHumHollow: received Nottougly: received nan_nc: (Cindy mailed it 2 weeks ago and still has not gotten there so she will be sending a 2nd bookmark this week. Please let us know when you get it Nancy.) chrizty: received quiltpartner: received Please post when you receive your bookmark(s) and I will update the receiving list. Have a great weekend!! :-) Best to you and many thanks, Sandra
    ...See More

Canadian Fat Quarter Round Robin

Q

Comments (32)
    Sign-up for this Round Robin FQ swap closes on March 15th. Are there any other Canadian members who would like to play with us? So far we have 7 signed up with day2day still thinking about it. It would be great to have 10 so if no one else signs up nannykins and I have quilting sisters who would like to participate. Tuppermom - Mary Nannykins - Theresa rec'd info Faytay - Faye have info from birthday block swap day2day- Geraldine -maybe sloth003- rec'd info chickadee_3a- Carolyn lockeb - Bill Nana 2009 - Val rec'd info
    ...See More
  • Melinda Hagen
    13 years ago

I found it! I certainly want in on this! Sending info just to be sure you have it!Melinda

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Dan, great idea!! Count me in - I'd jump inline ahead of Linda, but right now w/strep I don't have th energy to type all the letters in the riht order! lol Emailing you now before I slink back to the couch...

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

what a difference a night makes! woohoo, I'm excited! here's our list of players so far...

Quilters/Players so far...
    dan/dan_the_mailman
    melissa/hazelnutbunny
    linda/linda ruzicka*****
    deb/debbya
    melinda/ilovefarac
    cindy/quiltpartner

and that's six! kewl!!!

if you have ***** by your name, (Linda...lol) that means you still need to send me your information. I may already have it elsewhere on my computer, but I do need this again. I'm putting all of our information in a separate folder on my pc in an attempt to stay organized. Lol, who knew, eh?

Happy Tuesday!
    -Dan

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Dan,

Here I thought all the ***** were there pointing a 'you're guilty of cutting in line' finger at Linda!

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL!

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

hello
    ok I'll give it a try, I have plenty of fabric to share.
    do you know if this will be a small box or large envie? and do we lable the fabric we put in?
    thanks dan
    michelle

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Dan,

Can we gently remind swappers to be sure their fat qtr is 18 X 22 NOT counting the selvage edge? It can be trimmed or left on as long as you don't count it as part of the FQ - it's not usable.
    Don't mean to sound picky, but in a postage stamp swap I actually rec'd several w/selvage edges - which on a postage stamp means the whole thing goes in the trash:(

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Welcome Michelle! I think this will end up being a small box, but I'm not sure yet. As soon as I get it all put together I'll let everyone know here.

I've been doing some thinking, and I'd like to end the sign-ups for this RR on Sunday the 9th. Does anyone have a problem with that? If you think we should wait another week, we can. Just let me know and we'll go with the majority vote on it.

Cindy, I think you've said it perfectly. The one thing everyone should remember is that you should only put in the box what you would like to receive.

Lastly, I'm going to ask that you all put in no more than 1 fat quarter of any print or solid color. I'm going to be sending out 10 different fabrics, and I think it would be good if everyone had 10 different fabrics to choose from.

And now I'll yield the floor for more comments/questions.

Have A Great Night!
    -Dan

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sign-ups for this swap will end at noon on Sunday, January 9th, so I'll have time Sunday afternoon to put the box together for mailing on the 10th. I will e-mail everyone when it is done with a list of who it's going to, and in which order. Here's a current list of participants...

Quilters/Players so far...
    dan/dan_the_mailman
    melissa/hazelnutbunny
    linda/linda ruzicka
    deb/debbya
    melinda/ilovefarac
    cindy/quiltpartner
    michelle/micyrey

If anyone else would like to sign up, you are more than welcome to do so!
    -Dan

• justamomofsix
    13 years ago

Dan,
    I would love to join your round robin. However, I only joined the forum last fall. I am in the 2011 Ribbons and Bows Birthday block exchange. I also know a few of the quilt forum members personally as I went to a quilt retreat with them last fall.
    If I can join that would be great, otherwise let me know when I when I would be eligible and I would love to do it then when you start another fq round robin!
    Katherine (justamomofsix)

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Dan,

I can vouch for Katherine!! She's great, let her in...aw,come on:) Please!

~Cindy

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Katherine!
    I remember you from the birthday block exchange, and yes, you are welcome to join this round robin! One duty of a swap host is to know when to bend the rules, and this is one of those times. Send me an e-mail containing your name, address, gw name, and phone number by 3pm Sunday, okay? I'll be putting the package together tomorrow afternoon and will need to give your address to the person sending you the round robin.
    Welcome aboard!
    -Dan

• justamomofsix
    13 years ago

Thanks, Dan. I am looking forward to this round robin. It should be a lot of fun! I have sent you an email with all the info you requested.

Katherine

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay kids, I'm working on the order in which everyone will get their hands on the fabric quarters. I went to joanns today and bought 10 quarters, it'll be interesting to see what finds its way back to me...(grin)! I'm using a small flat-rate box to get this started, and the fabric will be in plastic in case the box gets wet. Along with the fabric, I'll be sending address labels for everyone to use, and a few extra return labels with my name and address on them. I'd prefer you all to keep my name and address as the return address in case anything goes awry. That way, the box will return to me and I can fix whatever the problem might be. If the box gets worn out along its path, please use a new one. Also, when you send out the box to its next destination, put a delivery confirmation number on it and either post it here, or e-mail me the number. Lastly, DO NOT post who you are sending the box to! Let's put a bit of mystery into this, shall we? LOL!

I'll put these directions in the box also.

Remember, you may take any or all of the fabric quarters which arrive at your house, just as long as you replace them with an equal amount of quarters, no two alike.

Talk to you all again soon!
    -Dan

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The box is off and in the mail! Wahoo! I was able to fit everything in a small flat-rate box but if someone needs to put it in something larger, please use the return label(s) I sent out with it. If there should be any problems, I'd like it to return to me so I can fix the problems and get it back on track again. If you'd like to follow the box as it travels, the first dc# on it is 03102010000079401161.
    So far, it's gone from Traverse City, Michigan, to Grand Rapids. I'll keep posting it's journey.

Have a phenomenal day!
    -Dan

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

I cant wait
    where will it go first? I know you arent gonna tell us.
    just wondering
    michelle

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Traverse City MI -> Fayetteville AR -> ???

Here's the message I received from hazelnutbunny/Melissa today. She's participating in this swap via facebook...

Re: our fabric round robin
    Hey Mr Dan! Got the box today (yay!). I've already drooled over the fabric & gotten some picked out. The box is ready to go out to the next person. I may not be able to get it out this afternoon, but will most definitely have it out no later than Monday morning. (the truck is in the shop right now-again- so if it's done before 4, I can make it to the PO).
    Hugs & Squishes!

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Melissa has picked out her "eggs" and sent the robin on to its next landing spot. For those of you who are watching to see where it will land next, the dc# on the box is now 0310 2010 0000 4416 2349.
    Where, oh where, will the "robin" land next?
    -Dan

• Debra Andruska
    13 years ago

The robin landed here tonight at 10:00, what a sneeky little robin! ;) It's so cold outside- that I didn't go check the mail today until I HAD to go out to take the garbage out! I peeked really quickly- and will make my selections/replace tomorrow, oops I mean pick my 'eggs' out, LOL! The box will be back on track quickly! I'll post more later..

What a neat swap!

Hugs,
    Deb

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

hi all
    I'm kinda close to Deb, I wonder if it is coming here next?
    HUMM I wonder.
    michelle
    ps joanns had 70%off remnints last week so I got a bunch and will have some very nice FQs to add

• Debra Andruska
    13 years ago

Ok, the box is packed up and ready to go to the Post office in the morning. ;) I'll post the DC# after it's mailed. This Round robin was so much fun, Thanks Dan!

Wonder where it's going? Hmm, Michelle's? I'll NEVER tell, LOL!

Hugs,
    Deb

• Debra Andruska
    13 years ago

The box did go out today as promised! USPS #0310 1230 0001 2195 8303

Picking out eggs from the box was really fun-- now the box flew the coop and is heading South for the winter-- LOL. Joking- I'm not telling where the box is headed! It's a secret!

Deb

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm glad you're all having fun with this, lol! I had to look at the "flight plan" to see where the robin was going from Deb's house, can you believe it?
    Michelle, you've got a 1 in 4 chance of receiving the box next. Aren't you excited?
    Here's an update on what's going on with our little robin...
    dan/dan_the_mailman SENT/
    melissa/hazelnutbunny SENT/RECEIVED
    linda/linda ruzicka
    deb/debbya SENT/RECEIVED
    melinda/ilovefarac
    cindy/quiltpartner
    michelle/micyrey

Where, oh where, will our little "bird" land next???
    -Dan

• Debra Andruska
    13 years ago

Just checked the DC# and the box was delivered! Wow, that was fast~

I hope Everyone enjoys the Round Robin as much as I did!

Deb

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

darn I guess I was not next. maybe next time.

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Patience, Grasshopper, have patience.

Here's an update on what's going on with our little robin...
    dan/dan_the_mailman..... SENT/
    melissa/hazelnutbunny .....SENT/RECEIVED
    deb/debbya...................SENT/RECEIVED
    cindy/quiltpartner .........../RECEIVED
    linda/linda ruzicka
    melinda/ilovefarac
    michelle/micyrey

-Daniel-San

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Woo-Hoo!!! Some sweet little bird dropped by my house yesterday!! Yippee! - just what this day care provider of 8 needs on a Monday to make her day!!
    Such nice goodies inside...I've already taken/replaced/repackaged - so it may go out this afternoon. With any luck at all I will have DD look after my charge (only one today, so piece of cake!! LOL) so I'll be able to hit the PO. Dan, I'll email you the DC#

I had a strange thought this morning (maybe strange isn't the right word here - hmm?) What are the chances that an original egg is still in the nest?? It may be a REALLY good thing that the delivery system is working well, otherwise wouldn't that little egg be a trifle rank soon??
    Dan, you'll have to let us know since you will know if an original is in the nest at the end of it's journey. Just a little piece of trivia for us:)
    Hmm...& where is the little robin off to next?? Was hoping it would bring spring when it arrived here, but no such luck! :( Maybe more luck for the next recipient!?!

~Cindy

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Fellow FQRR-ers,

Excuse the #1 behind the topic line. It was just another change I made as an attempt to get the post to go thro. Not sure what is happening - again! :(:( - but I've been trying to post this simple little message for a half an hour! I WAS already logged in, but it asked me to again (as if I wasn't already- ?) Then the page expired as soon as I tried to RE-login. This went on over & over. I even shut down the computer, & started over. No luck! So, after changing the subject line for the umpteenth time (it seemed:) it went thro. God knows what this one will do! LOL
    Things were running so smoothly (for me anyway:) for months. Now all kinds of havoc! Will they EVER get this site fixed ONCE & FOR ALL????!!
    Sorry GW, just had to vent!

• justamomofsix
    13 years ago

Dan,

I did not see my name on the list...did I make it into the swap?

Thanks,
    Katherine (justamomofsix)

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Katherine, I'm glad you asked! YES, you made it into the swap and should be seeing that (round) robin winging its way to you eventually! I'm sorry I left you off of the list, that would've made me wonder too!
    Okay, here's the updated, updated list...
    cindy/quiltpartner .........../RECEIVED
    linda/linda ruzicka
    melinda/ilovefarac
    michelle/micyrey
    katherine/justamomofsix

Now remember, those of you who haven't received the box yet, that list is NOT in order. Cindy could be sending it to any one of you four. Speaking of Cindy, has anyone heard from her? I'm hoping the snowstorms haven't buried her or gotten her stuck in a snowbank somewhere...brrrr!

-Dan

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cindy just e-mailed me the dc# for our little bird... 03102640000089501627. She was dealing with 5 kids under the age of 5 the other day and forgot about sending me the number or posting it, but that's completely understandable. 5 under 5??? That's just complete mayhem, no matter how well-behaved they are...lol!

So, here's our current list...
    cindy/quiltpartner ...........SENT/RECEIVED
    linda/linda ruzicka
    melinda/ilovefarac
    michelle/micyrey
    katherine/justamomofsix

Where will our robin land next?

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good Morning! Linda e-mailed me last night to say that our little robin had landed last night, safe and sound. She and her husband are spending the weekend in Philly, so she won't be able to go through it and send it back on its way until Monday or Tuesday. So, until then, those of you still looking for the robin can stop scanning the skies for a few days and relax.
    Here's hoping we all have a grand weekend!
    -Dan

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Linda, were you able to mail out the box this week? The way my mind has been playing tricks on me these past few days, I can't remember if you said you'd mailed it out or not.
    On a good note, the past day-and-a-half have been pretty good, so hopefully this cold is finally over, and NOT coming back.

Stay warm everyone!
    -Dan

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Linda has let me know that she got the box out today. The dc# is 0310 2010 0000 5207 2470. How is everyone surviving the storm? Digging out still?

• Melinda Hagen
    13 years ago

Such fun reading and watching everyone wait! Am I next? Or do I wait longer! Only the mailman will know!! Getting anxious! Not much to do with the snow-another 6 inches for us last night on top of the ice and snow we already had! Beautiful outside! But remember, we don't usually get but a skiff of snow every other year or so! Melinda

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

YAY the robin has landed.
    I got the box today and will have it out again tomarrow, I picked 4 eggs and replaced them.
    I will post the DC# tomarrow after I send it.
    thanks Dan for all the work.
    michelle

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

hello
    well robin took off today fully loaded.
    one problem though, when I went to the post office it was very buisy and I guess the guy was a little frazzled. whe I told him what package I wanted the DC# on he was not paying attention and I was so iritated I didn't notice he forgot compleatly untill I was in the truck one the way home. if it gets lost I will take compleat responability.
    so sorry, but we'll keep our fingers crossed
    michelle

• justamomofsix
    13 years ago

Hello Everyone,

The robin landed at my house today! It was a great treat after a long day of work. I have picked my 3 eggs and replaced them with new ones. I will send off tomorrow and I will post the DC# once I have it.

Katherine

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Katherine, isn't it cool how something so simple can brighten up your day? I'm glad the box arrived and did just that for you!

So, how is our little robin doing? Does it have far to go before arriving back here in Michigan? Robins are a sign of Spring, and it would indeed be great to see one right about now! Let's take a look and see where our robin has been, and has yet to go, shall we?

So, here's our current list...
    cindy/quiltpartner ...........SENT/RECEIVED
    linda/linda ruzicka ...........SENT/RECEIVED
    melinda/ilovefarac
    michelle/micyrey ...........SENT/RECEIVED
    katherine/justamomofsix .........../RECEIVED

Where will our robin land next?

Hmmm, it looks to me like it's going to go to Melinda next! Yayyyyy for Melinda!

Kath, how's the box holding up?

-Dan

• justamomofsix
    13 years ago

Hello,

The robin has left the nest and is on it's way to Melinda!! The DC# is 0308 2040 0000 0418 1782.

I did decide to use a new box. It probably could have made it all the way back to you, Dan, but I didn't want to take any chances!

I wonder if any of the original eggs will in the box? This has been a really fun swap and I can't wait to do another one!

Katherine

• Debra Andruska
    13 years ago

Hi,
    Just checking to see the progress of the swap. ;) One more stop and then it's finished! Wow, this went really quick! It was a fun swap, I'm wondering too how many original 'eggs' are left in the nest!

Deb

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Katherine, thanks for changing the box. I really didn't think the original would make it as far as it did.
    Melinda should be getting it soon, and then it will be winging its way back here. As with the rest of you, I too am wondering if their are any original eggs in the "nest", or if you've all been laying new ones...lol!

Have a Great Day!
    -Dan

• Melinda Hagen
    13 years ago

Well, the robin isn't MIA! Just been extremely busy and alot going on right now. It landed and was resent on it's way a couple days ago! I did email Dan and he knows it's coming! Thanks, Melinda

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The mail has come and gone, and no box... I was hoping it would arrive today, but there's always tomorrow, right? I'll keep you all posted, and will let you know when it gets here. I know some of you are wondering if any of the original "eggs" are still in it, as am I. Stay tuned!

Melinda, did you happen to get a dc# on the box when you sent it out?

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yayyyyy, the box got here today! AND, there are no original "eggs" in it, which is just too cool! There are a lot of different fabrics, but I think my favorite is the dinosaur-themed piece. I'm going to use that one in a twister quilt I'm going to be making for a friend who lives in the Phillipines. Charity and her husband run an orphanage there, seeing to their mental, physical, and spiritual well-being. When the two of us were in college together, my nickname was "Spike", after the character in the "Land Before Time" series. So, since I'm sending her a quilt made of hugs, that dino-fabric will have a bit of special meaning for her.

Many thanks to you all for making this a smooth, fast round robin! ((insert applause here)) I hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did!
    -Dan
    (banging the gavel on another great round robin...)

• tuppermom
    13 years ago

Sounds like it was a lot of fun!

Any of the Canadian members want to give it a try? I know postage is more but maybe we can put 5 FQ's in the package?

• nannykins
    13 years ago

How many of us would there be? And will you organize it? I think it would be fun!

Theresa

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tupper? Nannykins? Perhaps you should begin a new thread for a Canadian swap and talk about it there. As the host for this swap, I've closed this thread. You'll get more people to chime in and show interest in your swap if you talk about it on your own thread. Good Luck!