SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wmblanken_gw

Flashing question please advise!

wmblanken
10 years ago

I am re-surfacing my deck, moving from pressure treated to Azek. I pulled the pressure treated up to find that the original deck builder (my contractor that built the house) screwed the boards onto the rim joint right through the flashing. I know that is a no-no, but don't know proper way to do it.

Some more detail might be helpful. The deck is square and built into an L-shaped area of the house. So the house supports the deck on two sides. One side has the ledger board, and here there in no problem, the contractor screwed the deck into the joists that run perpendicular to the ledger, and not the ledget board itself, and so missed the flashing.

However, on the other adjacent wall, they screwed the pressure treated into the rim joist, but because this rim joist is connected to the house, it is flashed. As I mentioned the screwed right through the flashing that covers the rim joist.

So, I guess the questions is, how do I get a solid connection on the new azek at the rim joist without actually screwing through the rim joist and thus the flashing. Here are options I am thinking of:

1) use tiger claw hidden fasteners. I had planned to use the camo system, which requires screwing into the rim joist. The tiger claws still have to be screwed in, though, so not sure if this solves the problem.

2) Add another joist just inside the rim joist (maybe leave 1/4 inch for water to run between them). Then use the camo fasteners to screw into this new joist...and NOT the rim joist with flashing.

How would you do this? Is there an easier way that no. 2?

Comment (1)