SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sugarrushay

Vinyl liner pool becoming a diamondbrite real pool

sugarrushay
15 years ago

Having so enjoyed reading the posts and questions of other members I thought I might begin documenting the progression of our vinyl liner pool being "remodeled" into a shotcrete with diamond brite pool. Our PB was accidentally found while looking through the yellow pages, as I wanted to find pool coping to cover up the ugly white cracked coping I was existing with. PB said he had done other vinyl pools over, and he was very reasonable, so we said OK! Our pool was built in 1976 and I truly believe the coping was original. Our home was built in 1972 and my wish is to keep it as original as possible giving it a retro feel. This is our vacation home and I purchased it because of it's age and retro appeal. Our pool deck currently has no drainage, as I guess it was designed to just have everything run off the deck into the pool. We're still deciding if we should cut the deck and put in floor drains or if there are other options. If anyone has any thoughts on that it would be greatly appreciated. Likewise, if you see some terrible mistake the PB is making please let me know. Our pool is currently 24x13, as the existing hole will be used, the shotcrete layer will reduce it to 23x12. We have about 4 feet between the foundation of the house on the right hand side and about 2 feet between the screen enclosure and the pool edge on the left side. My husband is going to be running the 3 suction pipes and 1 return pipe underground and attaching it to the existing pool pump and filter. We are using 2" schedule 40 PVC pipe for a run of about 75 feet to get it to the equipment. A new skimmer and bottom drain along with a dedicated vacuum line and 3 return jets will be installed, along with a light. I will be purchasing the light, and hope to find the largest incandescent light there is. I have been trying to pick out pool tile for the past 2 weeks. It has become the most frustrating, thought perplexing thing I never imagined it to be. The problem is we have 1" mosaic tile on the covered part of the patio circa 1972 in colors that make the tile store salespeople shake their heads (yes I popped some off the floor to take around) and tell me they haven't seen that color before. So I need the waterline tile to compliment the existing tile. I've been instructed it must be 6x6. Originally I was going to do it in a plain baby blue porcelain gloss tile with black bullnose on the stairs, but the porch tile looks blue until baby blue gets put up to it then it becomes a dark teal. I am awaiting a sample from Fujiwa to see if their aqua green tile matches. I've printed the pictures of the tiles, taped them around the pool, tried to stay focused on the retro look....I could talk about this all night, but I will move on. I will try to post pictures of the progress.

Comments (4)