SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
solstice98

Mini Iron Warning!

solstice98
15 years ago

Many of you probably use those mini irons to press seams when sewing. I have mine right beside my sewing machine, carefully secured to an old wooden cutting board that I've covered with ironing board thermal fabric. Safety first, right? I've burned myself on the d@%^ thing a few times but I've never burned up any fabric... until now.

Yup, singed a hole in one block and a big brown spot in another. Two blocks that have to be repaired or tossed! Aaarrrgghhhh! I could shoot myself! How did I do it? Well, I had my 3 January lotto blocks and a couple of the birthday blocks sitting on my sewing table and showed them to a neighbor. I didn't realize as I was folding one back so she could see the one underneath, and then the next and the next, that I was folding them over onto the iron. And I didn't notice that the iron was left on. About 40 minutes later I went back to the sewing room and staightened up the blocks, seeing immediately that one was burned. The next one was too but I think I'm lucky it was just those two. And REALLY lucky I didn't start a fire!!!

I feel pretty dumb about this. I can repair the 2 damaged lotto blocks since it was just one little triangle from each that was burned. But if you use one of these irons, be sure to unplug it when you are done!!! I've been relying on the on/off switch but it's easy to forget that.

Kate

Comments (13)