SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teresa_nc7

Nickel Swap for 2008

teresa_nc7
16 years ago

It looks like we have interest enough to have a Nickel Swap on the Forum, so please look over the guidelines posted here and decide if you want to sign-up and commit to this swap. Please email me at tcrouzer at yahoo dot com if you want to join this swap.

Nickel Swap Guidelines and Schedule

~This swap is limited only to participants on this forum.

~A Nickel Swap is the exchange of 5-inch squares of fabric, know as Nickel Squares or "nickels" that can be used for quilt designs from Nickel Quilts and More Nickel Quilts by Pat Spaeth and Charlene Thode (That Patchwork Place, publisher) OR scrap quilts of any kind.

~We will have three (3) colors swapped each time. Smaller prints are better than large prints for nickels. Tone-on-tone, dots, plaids, stripes, paisley, and batiks are all acceptable. Please no solids, holiday designs or children's prints.

~Fabrics must be pre-washed and ironed smooth with the selvage edges cut off.

~Please exchange fabrics of the quality you would like to receive back.

~For each color purchase 1/2 yard of quilters' 100% cotton and cut your prepared fabric into 5-inch squares using straight cutters or scissors - no pinked edges please. You will get 24 nickels from 1/2 yard.

~Pin the 24 nickels by twos to form 12 pairs of nickels, all one color. Put these 12 pairs in a zip bag.

~Prepare the other two colors in the same manner, purchasing 1/2 yard of fabric for each color, preparing the fabric by washing, ironing, trimming off the selvages, and cutting into 24 squares. Then pin in pairs and put each color into a zip bag.

***You may mix and match your pairs if have lots of different fabrics in your home stash. Example: you can do in one bag of green 4 pairs from one fabric and 6 from another fabric and 2 from a third fabric to make 12 pairs of greens in one bag.

~Put your zip bags with your nickels into a large mailing envelope along with an 8 1/2" x 11" or larger mailing envelope with your name and mailing address on the front and return postage IN STAMPS to cover the return of your fabrics. DO NOT USE METERED POSTAGE FROM THE POST OFFICE ON YOUR RETURN ENVELOPE! Sorry for yelling that but it is necessary. A little extra postage on your return envelope would be helpful on the off chance that you are short.

Write the swap schedule on a calendar and mail your nickels on or before the due date:

March 14, 2008 - Primaries - medium to dark: red, green, blue

May 9, 2008 - Secondaries - medium to dark: orange, gold, purple

August 8, 2008 - Neutrals - medium to dark: gray, brown, tan/taupe

October 10, 2008 - Background Lights: cream, beige, and light gray NO WHITES

Disclaimer: If you do not follow the guidelines, your fabrics may be returned to you unswapped. Depending on how many swappers are participating, you may get some of your own fabrics back.

International swappers are very welcome to join in this Swap. I will weigh fabric at my office mail room and let you know the value in US dollars of fabric you should include to your hostess to cover the cost of returning your fabrics to you. You would still include your return envelope in your swap package to me.

Please post any questions you have on this thread. I look forward to swapping nickels with you during the year!

Teresa

Comments (76)