SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caligirl_cottage

The perfect porch / deck material - does it exist???

caligirl_cottage
14 years ago

In addition to our concrete patio (see earlier DISASTER posting), we're putting in a deck as well. I've gone around and around in circles on the material though, and even after hours of reading, I seem no closer to finding the right material. Originally I was going to go with IPE because of it's durability and supposed low-maintenance, but then veered towards Trex because of it's ease of installation. NOW I've read nightmares about both Trex and Ipe and wonder what the alternatives are other than the traditional redwood decks. I thought that since Trex had gone through the lawsuit nightmare, they'd be a safe choice now, having (hopefully) worked out all the bugs in their product, but I'm hearing that might not be the case (even their Brazilia products are getting mold). I'm unwilling to go with the 100% vinyl options because I just can't accept putting vinyl on my house.

With all the porch builders here, the hundreds of decks you've built and re-built, and knowing what you know about call-backs, lawsuits, ease of installation, is there one product that you feel good that you can stand behind???

If it's any help, we are in a moist Bay Area environment, mildew would probably be an issue for us.

Comments (9)