SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherryfizz

My Sister Has Cancer Again!

Cherryfizz
15 years ago

This really sucks.

Marjorie just called me from St. Louis where her Doctor from Windsor called her with her biopsy results to say they found cancer cells.

Marjorie had inflammatory breast cancer 20 years ago and beat it and that was back then when survival rate was really low for that type of cancer. She didn't have surgery then just many rounds of chemo, radiation, prayers, laying on of hands, chakra, whatever it took for her to beat the cancer. Now it has come back to the same breast and her Doctor is telling her she needs to have surgery this time.

My Sister is a strong woman, you wouldn't believe the major health problems she has had since birth. Her life long heart problems alone were enough to kill her, she has had 2 hip replacements, 2 pacemakers installed, 2 strokes, she lives with blood clots in her brain, she's had terrible infections, etc but to look at my soon to be 70 year old sister you would not know any of this unless you look into her purse and see all the medications she has to carry with her. Somedays she looks younger than I do and she is 17 years older than I am!

I just can't believe she has to go through another battle with cancer. If she has to have an operation she can't be put out. Can you imagine having your hips replaced under a local?

Marjorie is resigned that this is just another thing she has to fight and I hope she still has it in her. Last time she was living with my elderly Aunt who took care of her when she went through her cancer treatments lugging trays of food upstairs. Marjorie pretty much stayed in bed most of the time. This round she will have to take care of herself. I can help her out but she can't stay here with me because I don't have the room nor the strength to take care of someone again. My care giving days are over. I told her after my Mom died that if she became ill that she should have a contigency plan for her care. So far she has understood this. After she had her biopsy I already discussed with her that she will have to get a social worker if she was told she had cancer again. She can get Meals on Wheels, nursing help if need be and housekeeping. I don't drive so for me to go back and forth is not feasible. I'm trying not to feel guilty and feeling a little selfish but I just can't do it again LOL plus I can't spend more than a few days with my sister at a time. I did tell her she can come after her treatments for a few days until she is well enough to go back to her place though. I can handle that.

I'm worried about my other sister too. Doctors don't know how to help her but she is suffering ill effects from radiation treatments she had when she was treated for her double breast cancer plus she is still recovering from a cytomeglovirus she picked up at the hospital where she works 6 months ago. She has no appetite for food and has lost so much weight. I am hopeful because last time I saw her her energy levels have come back. She is still working as a nurse but because of her health issues she is on limited duty and has to take an hour long nap at work.

Please think healing thoughts for both my sisters and Marjorie said she will take all the prayers she can get.

Thanks for listening.

Anne

Comments (34)