SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Attractive Trash Can... is there such a thing?

User
15 years ago

I've said it probably 100 times before now on this forum how I didn't put much thought into my kitchen when we built. There's a bunch of things I would've done different. Anyhow, we have our garbage can beside the counters as you can see in the pics. I know a lot of people have drawers for their cabinets but I just can't fathom the idea of putting garbage in a drawer..just my opinion. We have a large pantry it would fit but again the closed space with the food... not to mention the pantry is across the kitchen so that wouldn't be convenient.

Anyone else have some creative ideas for a more attractive garbage can? What bothers me about it is the location is straight up from the front door/foyer area.

Maybe some type of wicker basket? Would it look better to used a laundry type basket or would that just look worse? I could see something painted black maybe? The reason we have the can we do is because it was the biggest we could find. Don't want to downsize it too much.

I have two small prints above on the wall now.

{{gwi:1672492}}

Imagine the chair in the kitchen is pushed in . . you then have a nice shot of the trash can. Pretty huh?

{{gwi:1672493}}

Comments (54)

• salviastreet
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

How about this one from Stacks & Stacks?

Here is a link that might be useful: Wicker Step Can

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Now there's something I haven't decorated yet. You can use plastic paint and also decoupage the one you have. In fact, the title to your thread had me wondering if you meant your outdoor trash can -- can you just see the expression on your trash men's faces if you covered in roses and butterflies? lol!

Rattan strikes me as not very clean in the kitchen. All you'd need is some goo or dog food gravy dripping down through the wicker -- eeeew-- and I know you would be careful, but would everyone in your house and all your visitors? I often scrub and sterilize my waste baskets. I think they make stainless steel ones?

• Related Discussions

what attraction(s) do you recommend visiting in PA?

Q

Comments (24)
    Hi! I love PA and its history. I lived out in the eastern part of the state for a while and the Harley Davidson plant is pretty cool...so are the little towns of Amish (as suggested above). If you're heading up to Erie (Presque Isle is GREAT!!!!) you could hit Oil City and check out the great old mansioins and museums. If you're heading north, check out the Allegheny Nat'l Park, too...there are tons of great places to stay for a night in a cabin on the lake. If you head south, you can always hit the city of Pittsburgh and take in the history there. The science center, station square, museums and strip district are always fun...even for those of us born and raised out here!!!!!!! You could always hit the PS grand canyon, too...heard it is beautiful! Hope you enjoy the trip and I can't wait to hear where you went!!! Take care and journey safe! ~k
    ...See More

Pull-Out trash can thing????

Q

Comments (3)
    I found it! Spent 15 minutes going through site- phoned customer service, and while talking to her, I kept browsing and found it! Called a 'drawer kicker'! No wonder I couldn't find it! She said she had a customer with a short wife use it for a toe kick stepping stool- great idea- eh? Here is a link that might be useful: Drawer kicker
    ...See More

how to replace trash compactor with pull-out trash? need cabinet?

Q

Comments (9)
    Sorry to bump this after so much time. Here's a picture of the trash compactor. This is the pull out trash/recycling system that I want. http://www.pullsdirect.com/rev-a-shelf-5349-2150dm-2-5349-series-double-50-quart-pull-out-waste-container-with-soft-close-slides/p1573591. It says that it fits in a 15 inch width cabinet. It took me this long to contact a few custom cabinet makers in my area. 2 of them have told me that to replace the trash compactor with the double pull out trash/recycling that I want, I would need to not only have a cabinet door/face, but also they'd need to create a cabinet box and a frame too. However, by doing this, the width of the side of the cabinet box would mean that they wouldn't be able to put in the pull-out that I want, which needs a width of 14.8 inches (the trash compactor is 15 inches), so I'd need to select a different one, which would have a much smaller bin size. The one I want has 2 50 quart bins, and I would have to go down to 2 27 quart bins, I think, to get it to fit, which is a big difference. I'm also talking to a third custom cabinet guy who said that there might be a way to be able to put in a "floor" to where the trash compactor was, so he could install the double pull out I want (which is bottom mounted, not side mounted) without any sides, and then put some type of frame at the top only, so something that the cabinet door could rest against while closed, but said he'd have to think about how to create it, and get back to me. I'm waiting to hear from him to see if he's thought of something that would work. In addition, the price estimates I've gotten so far were substantially higher than I was expecting. Alison, I'd love to know the details of how you and your dh did this. Did you add a whole cabinet box? If not, what did you mount your pullout to, and what does your door rest against? I would appreciate any ideas. Thanks! Here is a link that might be useful: rev-a-shelf double pull out
    ...See More

I need help with trash can cabinet inserts and custom sized trash cans

Q

Comments (16)
    I'd recommend checking Rev-A-Shelf's options for replacement cans. They make pullouts too (i.e., cans with drawer slides to be mounted within an existing cabinet), but if you only need the cans, they have many sizes. Or if you do end up switching to a single large can, you might need to get a new pullout assembly as well. It sounds like you are a patient person in a difficult situation. Good luck.
    ...See More
  • ctlane
    15 years ago

I think Declansmon had a great idea.

• barb5
    15 years ago

Our garbage is under the kitchen sink in a slide out contraption- the waste basket is on a rack that slides in and out. I like it so much I brought it with me from my previous house. And it is small enough that I am forced to empty it before it becomes a smelly mess. Recycling goes in a special cabinet that I had built into the new island.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

My goodness, I didn't even realize there was such a thing as a wicker step can. That is neat.

Shee, your cats being well behaved may not care, but mine would tear that thing to shreds. Which they did to a nice wicker laundry hamper I once had, for a month!!!

• rdquilter
    15 years ago

My daughter has a wooden one that just fits over a tall plastic one. It has a hinged top and also a front door to pull out the trash can. I googled briefly and found this Amish one.
    http://www.artsinheaven.com/items/amish-trash~laundry-bins/amish-furniture-oak-hinge-top-trash-container-kitchen-bin-can-delivery-is-included-amish-furniture-o-detail.htm

• Oakley
    15 years ago

SS, I've seen many nice trash cans, and they come in different colors. Do a google search and you'll get a lot of websites just for trash cans.

About the ones in the drawer. I wasn't too keen on them either, but when my ds had one built in his kitchen, I was sold. Unless someone throws food in there that's not in a ziplock, which I always use for old food, their trash smells really good! My DIL puts something in there, not sure what, to make it smell nice. The drawer opens with ease, and it can hold a pretty large trash can.

When we did our kitchen, I told them I want my trash cans (2) to stay under the sink. That's all I put there, other than dish soap. Do you have room under your sink? I use two medium plastic trash cans and use the Force Flex trash bags that expand.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    15 years ago

There's a plastic bin inside of the wicker step can posted in the link by salviastreet, so stuff would not "ooze" out of the wicker.

I bought a wicker clothes hamper at Marshall's a number of years ago - it sits up on scrolled wrought iron legs, has a nice shape and decorative woven top, a hinged lid and makes great visual sense at the end of my cabinet in the kitchen. It has a nice urethane/lacquer finish on it and matches the tone of my cherry cabinets. I don't mind seeing it from the dining room. It is tall enough to hold a standard tall kitchen trash bin, which I line with kitchen garbage bags.

I haven't mastered picture posting on these forums.

seagrass

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, thanks for all of the feedback guys.

Declansmom - Having one made is a thought. I'm going to have DH's uncle make me a litter box cover so I could talk to him about a trash can cover too.

Salviastreet - I like that trashcan. Thanks!

Oceanna - You made me chuckle. I'd be known as the decorative trash can lady. I was throwing around the decoupage thing more and I think unless I did a stunning job it might draw more attention to it and not in a good way. I might try that on a smaller scale piece first.

Ctlane - Beadboard does sound appealing to me!

Barb - I'll have to check out those pull out contraptions.

Bru- That made me laugh! I am blessed with well behaved babies. Who know though, a woven one might remind them of a scratching post.

Rdquilter - Thanks for that link. Visuals always help me with ideas!

Oakley - There's room under my sink. Well I should say I could make room. That's something I'll consider too. I guess it's not like I keep food in my cabinets. It's all dishes, pots and pans.

Seagrass - Oh you really need to learn how to post some pics! Do you have a photobucket account? That hamper sounds like I'd really like it. The wrought iron legs really got my attention.

Since I have some other things I need to finish with the kitchen/DR area I might just wait a bit yet and think about it. Still not sure what I'm doing with the patio doors. One min. it's bamboo blinds, then roman shades, celluar, tinted, I'm all over the place. Plus I want to recover the chairs. Maybe once all that's done I'll have a better feel for what would look best there. Assuming I don't move it under the sink. Or of course unless I find a really cool one with iron legs! :)

• sarahdecor
    15 years ago

A friend has the greatest I have seen; its a wooden potato bin that she puts a bag liner in. Its wood and the top is painted. Prob. around $100 or so but so so clever. Her kitchen is very nice and not cute country and it still looks great

• artlover13060
    15 years ago

I have mine in a drawer and I love it. It's no where near food or pots and pans. The layout goes like this: wall, trash drawer, dishwasher, sink, pots and pans. I have a regular plastic kitchen trash can in there with the white bags. We take it out almost every day. It doesn't smell.

• monicakm_gw
    15 years ago

I had the same setup. The same trashcan too, I think :) This was kitchen remodel phase 1 in 2002. We've since remodel again, building a peninsula(bar) between the kitchen and new dining room and now the free standing trash compactor is under the new bar. Don't know how we lived so long without a trash compactor. I know a lot of people don't like them tho. Added bonus...and additional 15" of "counter space"
    Monica

Here is a link that might be useful: Free Standing Trash Compactor

• Happyladi
    15 years ago

I just use a smaller one that I keep under the sink. Have you tried that?

• oceanna
    15 years ago

I wonder... could we decorate our outdoor trash cans so they look like rose bushes? Then they wouldn't be unsightly. But with my luck the trash guys would drive right by it.

How about painting your existing can the same color as the wall, so it fades back?

I keep mine under the sink
    And it don't stink
    At least I think
    But I wish it was pink.

THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE TRASH CAN
    by
    Gregory K.

There's something in the trash can.
    It's moving. Do you hear it?
    It's kind of a rumbling.
    Or maybe it's mumbling.
    Whatever it is... don't get near it.

http://gottabook.blogspot.com/2007/04/theres-something-in-trash-can-poem-of.html

There's something in the trash can.
    It's moving! I fear the worst.
    It might be a rat!
    Or it could be the cat.
    I guess we should check.... You go first.

~~

Now, here's the question. If you get a new one, how do you get rid of the old one?

How to Throw Out an Old Trash Can
    June 21, 2007 by Jim Bloemker

One of the most difficult situations you will face in your adult life - not for the faint of heart - is the disposal of a trash can you don't want anymore!

You wouldn't think this would be difficult, and neither did my wife and I, until about a month ago. We bought a new trash can for our kitchen and put the old one, empty, out on the curb the next trash night with our bagged http://haku.vizu.com/a.gif?cid=332;adid=video;siteid=associatedcontent; trash and our full recycling can.

When my wife went out the next morning to bring in the recycling can, there was the empty kitchen trash can right alongside!

"Hmmmm.... I guess they don't realize that we mean to throw the can away," I thought to myself. I quickly got a permanent magic marker and a sheet of paper, wrote TRASH in big, wide letters on the paper, and taped it to the front of the trash can. We put the trash can out on the curb again the next trash night.

When my wife went out the next morning to bring in the recycling can, there was the kitchen trash can with the big TRASH sign on the front of it!

"Maybe they didn't see the sign," I thought to myself. I tore off the sign, got the permanent marker and wrote directly on the front of the can in big letters, "THIS CAN IS TRASH - PLEASE TAKE!" We put the can out on the curb again on the next trash night.

When my wife went out the next morning to bring in the recycling can, there was the graffiti-covered trash can right alongside again!

"What do I have to do to get rid of this trash can?" I wondered. I got my trusty hacksaw and cut the can in half across the middle, put it in a black trash bag, tied it off and put the bag out on the curb this past trash night.

This time, when my wife went out the next morning to bring in the recycling can, the can was gone. But we felt bad that it was a recyclable can, and that it probably was going with regular trash since we put it in a bag.

LESSIONS LEARNED:

1.) If you are throwing away a trash can and are going to put a sign on it saying so, write ALL OVER THE CAN to make sure it is seen. It may even be good idea to write in English and Spanish as well, to make sure there is no language barrier to getting your can taken away.

2.) Cutting the can in half (which could be tough, if it's a metal can) and bagging it works, but it probably won't be recycled.

3.) If you know where your municipal recycling center is, and the can is recyclable, take it there and discard it yourself!

4.) MOST IMPORTANTLY, maybe that old trash can wasn't so bad after all - why throw it away?

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/287649/how_to_throw_out_an_old_trash_can.html?cat=7

Oh here we go... Horchow of course... Citrus Trash Can

Lots of wastebaskets

RE: Attractive Trash Can... is there such a thing?

I always thought the $100 stainless steel cans were an over-the-top extravagance. Then, when the dog kept getting into the plastic one, I bit the bullet and bought one. It's great!

I'm with you sheesharee, I don't want a garbage can in my cabinets. But I don't mind having the garbage can visible in the room, especially the stainless steel one.

To me, it is just part of life to see a garbage can in the kitchen. And except for when you take a photo of your kitchen and aim the camera at the garbage can, I bet yours isn't all that obvious to visitors.

I have mine in a pullout cabinet in my island. the drawer above it has my foil/saran wrap in it. It isn't huge so we empty is every day, which is a pain, but I didn't want to have one sitting out.

I find it incredibly handy, when I'm opening packages or cutting things up, I just open the drawer and drop or sweep the packaging into the trash can. Having it be a small size makes us empty it frequently which I guess is a good thing.

Before I had the island pullout, I kept a 13 gallon can under the sink which would be my second choice before having something sitting around out in the open.

My MIL kept her's inside a wicker basket with a lid. I had a friend who had a wood square trashcan that she kept at the end of her island. It was almost as tall as the countertop and the can fit inside and she would just lift the lid and throw stuff in there.

When your FIL makes your cat box cabinet, have him make you a trash can cabinet too!

I know that you don't have stainless things...we bought this one to stand at the end of our island, right behind me at the sink, and it is worth every penny. (Ours came from B B & Beyond, and has a stainless lid.)
    The two best features (besides its slimness and tallness...) are, one, that a tall kitchen bag fits into the removable inner liner in such a way that you tuck the excess into a little grabby hole at the back (like the ones on Swiffer dusters) so that it doesn't show, or crumple back into the can...
    ...and, two, that the lid has a mechanism that makes it close slowly and quietly when you take your foot off the pedal. No slamming shut!
    Who knew how lovely that would be!

Here is a link that might be useful: Step-on can

I have the same thing as Barb - pull out garbarge containers in a cabinet. There is nothing in that cabinet other than the garbage can, so it is not contaminating anything else. The cabinet beside it has another pull out deal for cleaning supplies, etc.

I would never, ever put a garbage can in a pantry or cabinet, etc. with food.

Personally, I like my garbage containers hidden, not out in plain view. But that's just me. We don't put food in our container. We have several recyle bins but those are in the garage.

tina

ps - i LOVE that Target basket!!! It is not available though!! boohoo

For many years I had a wooden barrel with a lid that we used as a trash can. It was sort of keg shaped and a kitchen sized bag fit in perfectly and it sat at the end of our cabinet. I think I bought it MANY years ago at a craft show or flea market type of place. Just a different thought to throw out there.

My new home has the built in drawer that holds a tall garbage can. Love it!

I have one of the simplehuman SS cans and love it. Easy to clean, come in a number of sizes but mine is large and holds as much or more than the can you have now and the entire top flips up so it is easy to use. simplehuman.com then go to trash cans. I have mine exactly like in the picture- at the end of my island.

Sheeshare, my daughter uses the large one of these type of hampers with a lid, in her kitchen. They line the basket with a heavy duty plastic trash bag. Theirs is in the sight line of the entrance door, too, but looks fine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wicker hampers

I'm glad someone posted about the trash can dilemna! We're almost finished with our kitchen and I really want to find another place for our trash!

We DO not have well-behaved dogs and our jack russell always headbutts the trash can and knocks it over during the day even if it's empty...and tears up the trash bag into little bits!

So, now....every morning before leaving for work I have to put the trash can in the small powder room by our kitchen so he can't do his head butt routine...

But then again, he can still jump on the counters and rummage in our cabinets (still waiting on our cabinet maker to finish all the cabinet doors)

So far he's ate two loafs of bread, open dried rice all over the floor and ate some hotdog buns!

I think with me having all white appliances the ss steel one might draw more attention and look too industrial in my kitchen by itself. If I had ss appliances that would've been the answer I believe.

Oceanna - Those last two links won't work for me! ?

Nanny2a - I like that wicker basket. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled. Going over to Lowes today to return a lamp shade so I'll see what they have there also.

Dana - Oh my! Bless you for keeping the little guy! I hope you can find a solution too!

Not sure if anyone's mentioned this, but if you keep the trash under the sink, it will free up that space for a cute accent piece, or a nice houseplant which would be perfect next to the door.

When I was talking about food, I meant that if someone were to scrape a plate of food and throw it in the trash (usually a man, lol) that's when it stinks.

Something to think about with Wicker though. I don't think they'd be strong enough for kitchen trash. I'd be afraid the wicker could get out of shape. And every now and then, there's always something "leaky" that gets on the trash cans. That's why I like them under the sink. I just get two medium size plastic trash cans from Walmart.

We have a "chrome" garbage can in the kitchen. Actually since we have gotten very mindful of what goes into our local land-fill, ALL food items now go into a plastic container on our kitchen counter & then into our backyard compost pile. And With the recyling bin, the garbage can rarely has much in it nowadays anyway.

Dana, a couple of the simplehuman step cans have locking mechanisms to keep kids and animals out of the trash. They're pretty cool. We have this step can since we only had 12" to accomodate a trash can in a niche between the cabinets and a wall bumpout for the heating duct to upstairs. We especially like the "air shox" mechanism that keeps the lid from slamming down. Yes, it's plastic, but I think it looks pretty decent as long as DH doesn't drip coffee all over the place when dumping his coffee filter. :-) (For that reason, when it is time to replace it I'll probably get the "mocha" color!) There's a side-opening version too.

Our ginormous outdoor trash can was provided by the city and if your trash isn't in it it won't get picked up because Waste Management has new trucks with mechanical lifters. The whole thing weighs a ton - thank heavens it's on wheels but it's still hard to maneuver - and has a very heavy lid to keep raccoons and dogs out. We hosed out and Freecycled our old cans, which were rather pricey ($50+ each).

Oakleyok - I was looking at the trash can area last night thinking it would be nice to put something decorative there. I have a metal/iron and marble short plant stand that I'm desperately trying to find a place for.

Is there a support group for obsessed home decorators? I need one because I actually had a dream trash can.

It was a tall copper bin with a lid from Horchow. I tried to find a pic, but thankfully they don't carry it anymore. I felt so sillly lusting after a $300-400 trash can. It would have lasted forever and had a cute lid, a far cry from my plastic laundry hamper.

The laundry hamper was supposed to be a short term solution after we one of our moves... 10 years ago.

Haha Paint Chips! You should've seen the look on DH's face last night when I told him I wanted a different trash can!
    "What's wrong with that!?" I explained and he just shook his head in defeat...

I have this and it looks much nicer than just the can. People usually can't even find the trash until I tell them where to look, lol.

Here is a link that might be useful: JC Penney Trash Bin

Homediva, that is the best looking trashcan I have ever seen.. that is really neat.. hummmm, going to see if I can find one of those..
    Huggy

Ballard Designs has a wooden hamper/trash can but I can't find it on their web site. It's wooden and comes in black and white.

Sorry about the links, Sharee. Try these:

I think this is an outdoor one, but wow it looks great.

Here are a whole bunch of them.

Amazon.com has quite a few styles, too.

but it looks like Horchows doesn't carry it any more.

There are some very cool ones here including this...

Here is another good place, which includes this one...

Wonderful ideas here. I did see lots of potential, but nothing that spoke to me.
    yet, anyway.
    (bump)

My 4 year old trashcan was an old metal clothes hamper in a previous life. I got it for $10.00 at a flea market. The design was cut from an extra wide wallpaper border I already had. I painted matching stripes, then varnished it. A 30 gallon liner fits it perfectly and it even has vents around the top. It works for me. **** Sorry, I can't resize this photo!

I have a trash compacter built into my cabinets, which I love and highly recommend if you have the cabinet space. Otherwise, I would probably use a small trash can under the sink or a wooden decorative one like the JC Penny bin posted. I remember seeing a very pretty cottage style wooden bin at an unfinished furniture store that would look great in your kitchen. We use something similar for our dog food storage.

Oceanna - Thanks for reposting those. I got them this time!

Fauxchik - OHHH I love your trash can! I would've never thought to do that! Do you remember the name of the boarder or where you got it? There was a real sad looking hamper like that at the flea market I could've scarfed.

I grabbed this tonight just to see but I think it screams,"I'M A HAMPER!!" Plus the normal garbage bags I have don't fit. The top is too wide.
    {{gwi:1672497}}

After mauling around the idea of it in the cabinets I just don't think I'm going to like it. Mainly because I think it will be more of a pain to have to empty it more. I saw pull out ones where you could use two cans but that means more bags.... I'm most likely going to get some other type of decorative can.

Hey Fauxchick, if you ever get tired of that one let me know!

Thanks again everyone for all the ideas!

Hi sheesharee - seems like we have the same ideas about what we want to hide - I responded to your thread in conversations about a cabinet that I built to hide a litter box. Here are some pictures of cabinets that I built to hide trash cans. The black one is in my kitchen. The other two I made for my sister and niece. Hope this gives you some ideas!
    Dolores

sheesharee: Sorry, I don't know the name of the border. I found it at a fabric store in Alabama that is now out of business. This was actually just a big sample that the lady cut for me!!! It really does serve it's purpose quite well. I like the fact that it fits flat against the cabinet.

I think the wicker basket looks good - it would be nice if you could find the right size liner though!!

Penelope - I just now saw this! Wow you're very talented. I like those! I like how it pulls out. Does the bottom drawer work or is it decorative? If it works do you put trash bags there?

Fauxchick - I might take the wicket basket back. I was trying to find a cheap solution and every time I look at it thinking,"hamper, HAMPER!" Ha maybe it's just because I know it is.
    I guess I'd have to go up in bag size to maybe the big black ones? They might be huge in it though.

Hi sheesharee - thank you. Yes,the bottom drawer does open and I store trash bags there.
    (My screen name is misleading and I have tried to change it, but it seems I will need a new e-mail address to do so).
    Dolores

Oops. I was just shortening your screen name. I tend to do that a lot on here. I like that there's that space on top for something too.

What size garbage can do you have in there?

Dolores, I'm impressed! How did you build those? Entirely from scratch?

Ok, I'm back with my own name now! I got another e-mail account and changed my name, so I feel more comfortable. I have lurked for a very long time but haven't posted. I have learned so much here and have gotten so many creative ideas and I finally felt I had something to contribute!
    sheesharee - It is a standard size kitchen trash can, uses 13-gallon bags.

oceanna - Thank you! Yes, I built it from scratch. There is a thead on the Conversations side where sheesharee was looking for a litterbox cover and I posted a picture there of one that I made. It has probably scrolled down a couple of pages by now. I love woodworking and have been doing it for many years now. I really enjoy making things that you can't buy - that are made to just fit a specific place or for a rather unusual use, like the litterbox cabinet or trash can cabinet. I've also made hope chests, entertainment centers, coffee and end tables, book cases.

That is more information than anyone asked for, but it is something I really enjoy and I am happy to be able to share something that might help someone else.

-Dolores-

Woodchuck.mo- You don't happen to live in PA do you? I know I said how DH's uncle could make both of those items but I have a feeling it's going to take FOREVER. You know how sometimes family favors can be. I've noticed even if you're paying the person. Had an interesting experience with paint for my LR. I now do all the painting.

Anyhow, I really like that trash can. I like yours best with the black. I'll post an update at some point with what I decide.

Until I started posting on this forum I'd never seen a trash can in a kitchen. Everyone I know has some kind of setup in the cabinet under the kitchen sink. In our case we just have two paper grocery bags, one for the regular trash and one for items that are recycled. When they're full they go out in the trash cans outside. All fresh organic waste is kept separate and put on a compost pile in the far reaches of the back yard. Don't laugh, but I have a crystal bowl next to the kitchen sink which holds the banana peels and wilted flowers from my vases which are put on the compost pile each day. The squirrels and rabbits pick it over for what they like and the rest decomposes and gets recycled on the flower beds.

sheesharee - I live in Missouri in the Ozarks. And yes I do know how it is with family favors. Glad to have given you some ideas! Will look forward to seeing what you decide.
    Dolores

Nanny2a - I was over at Kmart during lunch and I really liked some of the wicker hampers there. They had one that looked like the largest in the link you posted. What size garbage bad does your daughter use? The white 52 qt. ones I have don't fit in the round one above (not wide enough at the top) and I tried a 33 gal. back trash bag last night and the bag of course fit but there was about 5" of of bag the whole way around the top showing. I'm sure that still looks better than my stark white plastic one but I was wondering what she used.

Woochuck - I think I'm leaning towards buying something for the trash can and just having the litter box made. I still haven't talked to DH's uncle yet! Putting it on my list of things to do!

bump

Sheesharee, I'm pretty sure they use the Glad 30 gallon size tall trash or recycling bag, with a drawstring type of top. It fits snugly just at the top of their hamper, and the lid covers the part at the top where it fits so you don't see any of the plastic liner.

Post a Follow-Up
    Your Name:

Your Email Address:

Subject of Posting:

Optional Link URL:

Name of the Link: Return to the Home Decorating Forum

• graywings123
    15 years ago

I always thought the $100 stainless steel cans were an over-the-top extravagance. Then, when the dog kept getting into the plastic one, I bit the bullet and bought one. It's great!

I'm with you sheesharee, I don't want a garbage can in my cabinets. But I don't mind having the garbage can visible in the room, especially the stainless steel one.

To me, it is just part of life to see a garbage can in the kitchen. And except for when you take a photo of your kitchen and aim the camera at the garbage can, I bet yours isn't all that obvious to visitors.

• CaroleOH
    15 years ago

I have mine in a pullout cabinet in my island. the drawer above it has my foil/saran wrap in it. It isn't huge so we empty is every day, which is a pain, but I didn't want to have one sitting out.

I find it incredibly handy, when I'm opening packages or cutting things up, I just open the drawer and drop or sweep the packaging into the trash can. Having it be a small size makes us empty it frequently which I guess is a good thing.

Before I had the island pullout, I kept a 13 gallon can under the sink which would be my second choice before having something sitting around out in the open.

My MIL kept her's inside a wicker basket with a lid. I had a friend who had a wood square trashcan that she kept at the end of her island. It was almost as tall as the countertop and the can fit inside and she would just lift the lid and throw stuff in there.

When your FIL makes your cat box cabinet, have him make you a trash can cabinet too!

Here is a link that might be useful: Step-on can

• bronwynsmom
    15 years ago

I know that you don't have stainless things...we bought this one to stand at the end of our island, right behind me at the sink, and it is worth every penny. (Ours came from B B & Beyond, and has a stainless lid.)
    The two best features (besides its slimness and tallness...) are, one, that a tall kitchen bag fits into the removable inner liner in such a way that you tuck the excess into a little grabby hole at the back (like the ones on Swiffer dusters) so that it doesn't show, or crumple back into the can...
    ...and, two, that the lid has a mechanism that makes it close slowly and quietly when you take your foot off the pedal. No slamming shut!
    Who knew how lovely that would be!

• tinam61
    15 years ago

I have the same thing as Barb - pull out garbarge containers in a cabinet. There is nothing in that cabinet other than the garbage can, so it is not contaminating anything else. The cabinet beside it has another pull out deal for cleaning supplies, etc.

I would never, ever put a garbage can in a pantry or cabinet, etc. with food.

Personally, I like my garbage containers hidden, not out in plain view. But that's just me. We don't put food in our container. We have several recyle bins but those are in the garage.

tina

ps - i LOVE that Target basket!!! It is not available though!! boohoo

• mimi_2006
    15 years ago

For many years I had a wooden barrel with a lid that we used as a trash can. It was sort of keg shaped and a kitchen sized bag fit in perfectly and it sat at the end of our cabinet. I think I bought it MANY years ago at a craft show or flea market type of place. Just a different thought to throw out there.

My new home has the built in drawer that holds a tall garbage can. Love it!

• peaches12345
    15 years ago

I have one of the simplehuman SS cans and love it. Easy to clean, come in a number of sizes but mine is large and holds as much or more than the can you have now and the entire top flips up so it is easy to use. simplehuman.com then go to trash cans. I have mine exactly like in the picture- at the end of my island.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wicker hampers

• nanny2a
    15 years ago

Sheeshare, my daughter uses the large one of these type of hampers with a lid, in her kitchen. They line the basket with a heavy duty plastic trash bag. Theirs is in the sight line of the entrance door, too, but looks fine.

• dana1079
    15 years ago

I'm glad someone posted about the trash can dilemna! We're almost finished with our kitchen and I really want to find another place for our trash!

We DO not have well-behaved dogs and our jack russell always headbutts the trash can and knocks it over during the day even if it's empty...and tears up the trash bag into little bits!

So, now....every morning before leaving for work I have to put the trash can in the small powder room by our kitchen so he can't do his head butt routine...

But then again, he can still jump on the counters and rummage in our cabinets (still waiting on our cabinet maker to finish all the cabinet doors)

So far he's ate two loafs of bread, open dried rice all over the floor and ate some hotdog buns!

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think with me having all white appliances the ss steel one might draw more attention and look too industrial in my kitchen by itself. If I had ss appliances that would've been the answer I believe.

Oceanna - Those last two links won't work for me! ?

Nanny2a - I like that wicker basket. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled. Going over to Lowes today to return a lamp shade so I'll see what they have there also.

Dana - Oh my! Bless you for keeping the little guy! I hope you can find a solution too!

• Oakley
    15 years ago

Not sure if anyone's mentioned this, but if you keep the trash under the sink, it will free up that space for a cute accent piece, or a nice houseplant which would be perfect next to the door.

When I was talking about food, I meant that if someone were to scrape a plate of food and throw it in the trash (usually a man, lol) that's when it stinks.

Something to think about with Wicker though. I don't think they'd be strong enough for kitchen trash. I'd be afraid the wicker could get out of shape. And every now and then, there's always something "leaky" that gets on the trash cans. That's why I like them under the sink. I just get two medium size plastic trash cans from Walmart.

• kfca37
    15 years ago

We have a "chrome" garbage can in the kitchen. Actually since we have gotten very mindful of what goes into our local land-fill, ALL food items now go into a plastic container on our kitchen counter & then into our backyard compost pile. And With the recyling bin, the garbage can rarely has much in it nowadays anyway.

• johnmari
    15 years ago

Dana, a couple of the simplehuman step cans have locking mechanisms to keep kids and animals out of the trash. They're pretty cool. We have this step can since we only had 12" to accomodate a trash can in a niche between the cabinets and a wall bumpout for the heating duct to upstairs. We especially like the "air shox" mechanism that keeps the lid from slamming down. Yes, it's plastic, but I think it looks pretty decent as long as DH doesn't drip coffee all over the place when dumping his coffee filter. :-) (For that reason, when it is time to replace it I'll probably get the "mocha" color!) There's a side-opening version too.

Our ginormous outdoor trash can was provided by the city and if your trash isn't in it it won't get picked up because Waste Management has new trucks with mechanical lifters. The whole thing weighs a ton - thank heavens it's on wheels but it's still hard to maneuver - and has a very heavy lid to keep raccoons and dogs out. We hosed out and Freecycled our old cans, which were rather pricey ($50+ each).

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oakleyok - I was looking at the trash can area last night thinking it would be nice to put something decorative there. I have a metal/iron and marble short plant stand that I'm desperately trying to find a place for.

• paint_chips
    15 years ago

Is there a support group for obsessed home decorators? I need one because I actually had a dream trash can.

It was a tall copper bin with a lid from Horchow. I tried to find a pic, but thankfully they don't carry it anymore. I felt so sillly lusting after a $300-400 trash can. It would have lasted forever and had a cute lid, a far cry from my plastic laundry hamper.

The laundry hamper was supposed to be a short term solution after we one of our moves... 10 years ago.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Haha Paint Chips! You should've seen the look on DH's face last night when I told him I wanted a different trash can!
    "What's wrong with that!?" I explained and he just shook his head in defeat...

Here is a link that might be useful: JC Penney Trash Bin

• homediva
    15 years ago

I have this and it looks much nicer than just the can. People usually can't even find the trash until I tell them where to look, lol.

• huggybear_2008
    15 years ago

Homediva, that is the best looking trashcan I have ever seen.. that is really neat.. hummmm, going to see if I can find one of those..
    Huggy

• artlover13060
    15 years ago

Ballard Designs has a wooden hamper/trash can but I can't find it on their web site. It's wooden and comes in black and white.

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Sorry about the links, Sharee. Try these:

I think this is an outdoor one, but wow it looks great.

Here are a whole bunch of them.

Amazon.com has quite a few styles, too.

but it looks like Horchows doesn't carry it any more.

There are some very cool ones here including this...

Here is another good place, which includes this one...

• sherylmole
    15 years ago

Wonderful ideas here. I did see lots of potential, but nothing that spoke to me.
    yet, anyway.
    (bump)

• fauxchick56
    15 years ago

My 4 year old trashcan was an old metal clothes hamper in a previous life. I got it for $10.00 at a flea market. The design was cut from an extra wide wallpaper border I already had. I painted matching stripes, then varnished it. A 30 gallon liner fits it perfectly and it even has vents around the top. It works for me. **** Sorry, I can't resize this photo!

• juddgirl2
    15 years ago

I have a trash compacter built into my cabinets, which I love and highly recommend if you have the cabinet space. Otherwise, I would probably use a small trash can under the sink or a wooden decorative one like the JC Penny bin posted. I remember seeing a very pretty cottage style wooden bin at an unfinished furniture store that would look great in your kitchen. We use something similar for our dog food storage.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oceanna - Thanks for reposting those. I got them this time!

Fauxchik - OHHH I love your trash can! I would've never thought to do that! Do you remember the name of the boarder or where you got it? There was a real sad looking hamper like that at the flea market I could've scarfed.

I grabbed this tonight just to see but I think it screams,"I'M A HAMPER!!" Plus the normal garbage bags I have don't fit. The top is too wide.
    {{gwi:1672497}}

After mauling around the idea of it in the cabinets I just don't think I'm going to like it. Mainly because I think it will be more of a pain to have to empty it more. I saw pull out ones where you could use two cans but that means more bags.... I'm most likely going to get some other type of decorative can.

Hey Fauxchick, if you ever get tired of that one let me know!

Thanks again everyone for all the ideas!

• penelope_mo
    15 years ago

Hi sheesharee - seems like we have the same ideas about what we want to hide - I responded to your thread in conversations about a cabinet that I built to hide a litter box. Here are some pictures of cabinets that I built to hide trash cans. The black one is in my kitchen. The other two I made for my sister and niece. Hope this gives you some ideas!
    Dolores

• fauxchick56
    15 years ago

sheesharee: Sorry, I don't know the name of the border. I found it at a fabric store in Alabama that is now out of business. This was actually just a big sample that the lady cut for me!!! It really does serve it's purpose quite well. I like the fact that it fits flat against the cabinet.

I think the wicker basket looks good - it would be nice if you could find the right size liner though!!

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Penelope - I just now saw this! Wow you're very talented. I like those! I like how it pulls out. Does the bottom drawer work or is it decorative? If it works do you put trash bags there?

Fauxchick - I might take the wicket basket back. I was trying to find a cheap solution and every time I look at it thinking,"hamper, HAMPER!" Ha maybe it's just because I know it is.
    I guess I'd have to go up in bag size to maybe the big black ones? They might be huge in it though.

• penelope_mo
    15 years ago

Hi sheesharee - thank you. Yes,the bottom drawer does open and I store trash bags there.
    (My screen name is misleading and I have tried to change it, but it seems I will need a new e-mail address to do so).
    Dolores

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oops. I was just shortening your screen name. I tend to do that a lot on here. I like that there's that space on top for something too.

What size garbage can do you have in there?

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Dolores, I'm impressed! How did you build those? Entirely from scratch?

• woodchuck_mo
    15 years ago

Ok, I'm back with my own name now! I got another e-mail account and changed my name, so I feel more comfortable. I have lurked for a very long time but haven't posted. I have learned so much here and have gotten so many creative ideas and I finally felt I had something to contribute!
    sheesharee - It is a standard size kitchen trash can, uses 13-gallon bags.

oceanna - Thank you! Yes, I built it from scratch. There is a thead on the Conversations side where sheesharee was looking for a litterbox cover and I posted a picture there of one that I made. It has probably scrolled down a couple of pages by now. I love woodworking and have been doing it for many years now. I really enjoy making things that you can't buy - that are made to just fit a specific place or for a rather unusual use, like the litterbox cabinet or trash can cabinet. I've also made hope chests, entertainment centers, coffee and end tables, book cases.

That is more information than anyone asked for, but it is something I really enjoy and I am happy to be able to share something that might help someone else.

-Dolores-

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Woodchuck.mo- You don't happen to live in PA do you? I know I said how DH's uncle could make both of those items but I have a feeling it's going to take FOREVER. You know how sometimes family favors can be. I've noticed even if you're paying the person. Had an interesting experience with paint for my LR. I now do all the painting.

Anyhow, I really like that trash can. I like yours best with the black. I'll post an update at some point with what I decide.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

Until I started posting on this forum I'd never seen a trash can in a kitchen. Everyone I know has some kind of setup in the cabinet under the kitchen sink. In our case we just have two paper grocery bags, one for the regular trash and one for items that are recycled. When they're full they go out in the trash cans outside. All fresh organic waste is kept separate and put on a compost pile in the far reaches of the back yard. Don't laugh, but I have a crystal bowl next to the kitchen sink which holds the banana peels and wilted flowers from my vases which are put on the compost pile each day. The squirrels and rabbits pick it over for what they like and the rest decomposes and gets recycled on the flower beds.

• woodchuck_mo
    15 years ago

sheesharee - I live in Missouri in the Ozarks. And yes I do know how it is with family favors. Glad to have given you some ideas! Will look forward to seeing what you decide.
    Dolores

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nanny2a - I was over at Kmart during lunch and I really liked some of the wicker hampers there. They had one that looked like the largest in the link you posted. What size garbage bad does your daughter use? The white 52 qt. ones I have don't fit in the round one above (not wide enough at the top) and I tried a 33 gal. back trash bag last night and the bag of course fit but there was about 5" of of bag the whole way around the top showing. I'm sure that still looks better than my stark white plastic one but I was wondering what she used.

Woochuck - I think I'm leaning towards buying something for the trash can and just having the litter box made. I still haven't talked to DH's uncle yet! Putting it on my list of things to do!

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bump

• nanny2a
    15 years ago

Sheesharee, I'm pretty sure they use the Glad 30 gallon size tall trash or recycling bag, with a drawstring type of top. It fits snugly just at the top of their hamper, and the lid covers the part at the top where it fits so you don't see any of the plastic liner.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio