SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
callie8799

thinking about 'putting my toe in the waters' of pool building...

callie8799
15 years ago

Hi everyone!

I've been toying with the idea of putting a pool at our PA home and not sure what I need to think of first. I did a quick search on this forum for "pool newbie" "pool preplanning", but due to being at work, I don't have much time to do a thorough search. Also, we literally just finished a whole house remodel (buy new home next time, ugh) so if dh sees me dreaming about a backyard oasis, he's going to call me "certifiably insane" :)

So, what are some things I need to think about if I was going to start this? This is what I do know:

1. I need to check w/ our township on what is permitted and not permitted.
  2. I live in Eastern PA, so I would want a heated pool (last year neighbor kids only used their pool twice due to how frigid their water was). I don't want to put alot of $ down and not be able to use it due to water temp.
  3. I want in inground, aesthetically pleasing pool...

Now,what are some factors I need to think of first?

1. what are the pros vs cons of fiberglass vs other materials used for inground pools? What is gunite? Is that cement? What's a good material to use for my Eastern PA environment?

2. what is the saltwater system? I only heard about chemical type of cleaners/purifiers (excuse my lack of knowledge of proper terms)

I am definitely not ready to talk to pool builders/designers, I am just starting my "inspiration" folder.

How much for a reasonable inground pool? I'm thinking 50-75K.

Thank you so much for your help (and understanding on my lack of knowledge in this area). I am looking forward to hearing some directions.

Now, I'm off to drool over some of your pool pix!

Peace,

Debbie

Comments (3)