SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cooperbailey

What to think about, putting AC in 1923 home?

cooperbailey
14 years ago

Hi, I did a search and read quite a few posts. All in Greek. This is the very beginning of my research to explore the plausibility of putting AC into our 80year old home. We have a 24 year old gas fired furnace with hot water radiators. Not planning on changing that I think. Also have blown in insulation, vinyl siding with insulation underneath and storm windows over the originals.We updated everything over the years electic plumbing, have 220 and room in the electricl Square D (I think-electric panel)

I have been in an old home that had a circular vent high in the wall? What is that type of system called? Is it ductless? or is that something else entirely?

Is it better to install conventional ductwork and vents?

I am asking for general definitions and where to go to read up on the types of systems out there for installation in old home.

I dont have the particulars as to square footage etc right now.

I would also like a ball park figure or a range of how much adding AC to an existing house may run. Dang college tuition.

We have window shakers now which we didn't even put in last summer and won't this year either- too expensive to run- and that is why I am thinking about AC now. We are in Baltimore which is a lot like DC in the summer( except we are spared the extra hot air from Capitol Hill)

Any general information to point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

A new employee at work is an HVAC guy with his own small HVAC company and he said he would charge me at his cost for the equipment and use my handy DH instead of his own crew.I don't know him well enough to trust him yet so want to be more informed.

Thanks so much Sue

Comments (8)