SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kfca37

Is the America Graffiti Lifestyle ending?

kfca37
12 years ago

It didn't surprise me, but I've been reading several articles recently about the exciting rite of passage for teenagers to get their driver's license at 16 is fading. The articles gave the downward percentages and interviewed kids at even a couple years past that age who weren't interested in getting their DL.

My husband belongs to a couple car clubs that essentially are going under because the old guys are dying off, and they can't seem to attract younger members to any great extent. I can remember accompanying him occasionally 20 to 30 years ago, & the meeting hall would be crowded.

I also can remember coming home from school or work in the late 50ties, & neighborhood guys would be "working on their cars", sometimes individually but often in groups. I can't recall anybody tinkering on their car in this neighborhood in years.

As far as the mechanics of a car, the articles seem to imply that since automobiles today are so computer-oriented, the fun/interest has mostly gone out for the type of auto-nut that used to exist. And the social aspect of getting together & spending hours "talking cars" has been replaced by internet socialization of other things.

Comments (16)