SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bmeadbam

Need quick advice on Backwash/DE procedure...newbie here!

bmeadbam
16 years ago

hey friends

im real confused at this moment on what to do about my backwash/ add DE procedure

im new to being a pool ownerÂpool is 6 yrs old and my filter in a Hayward Pro-Grid ISDE 2420

last Wednesday I paid to have my pool openedÂI hung out with the one of the guys who was at the filter so I can get educated on some thingsÂthe other pool service worker who was there was taking out pool plugs and putting in railings, etcÂthe guy at the filter told me that I should run the filter for 24 - 48 hours straight before I take a water sample to their store for analysis. My start PSI was 16 so he said when it got to 25-27 to do backwash/DE

First thing Sat morning I took a water sample and they did the analysis and I bought everything it neededÂtotal alkalinity increaser, ph increaser, calcium hardness, Breakout extra (shock)...so I spent sat adding chemicals and after everything was doneÂlater in the pm on Sat the PSI was about 27 so I did the backwash and add DE thing (I didnÂt think any DE was in yet thoÂbut from what im finding out the DE would have been added by the pool guy...i just didnÂt see him add it, yet when i called them back the pool service said that they would have added it)Âanyway I still added a 6 lb bag of DE to the skimmer (this is what my pool guy said to add for my filter)ÂI added it on Sat after I did a quick backwashÂmaybe 2 minutes totalÂI donÂt recall seeing any white milky DE enter the street where I ran the hoseÂbut again I wasnÂt expecting to see any when i did thisÂpressure went back to like 19Â.then on Monday (yesterday) the PSI went back up to around 24..so I decided to just backwash (since I thought there maybe there was too much of the DE in..and this time I noticed a lot of the white/milky DE exiting the hose to the street so I did this like 2-3 times then a quick rinseÂI still think there is some DE in the filter since I can see it in the sight glassÂmy plan was only to take some DE out and not add any since I thought there was too much inÂso my PSI dropped back to my start PSI of 16Â..am I good doing this or should I have added more DE since they say to always add DE after backwashingÂI just feel I had way too much in!

As a note, I called Hayward yesterday to ask them how much DE I need to put in and they say follow the specs in their manual which says 3 lbsÂnot 6 lbs!...why would the pool service say my filter needs 6 lbs?...should I trust the Hayward Rep since it their product! Also the Hayward guy said that after I would have added the required 3 lbs of DEÂwhenever my filter needs backwashing throughout the summer (PSI of 24-26) add only ½ or 1.5 lbs of DE since there is always some residual on the filterÂmakes sense to meÂdo you agree?

thanks for reading this and any advice would be much appreciated!

BAM

PSÂ.how many cups of DE are in 3 lbs??

Comments (4)