SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
not_an_expert

Building ipe porch with 2 different lots?

Not_an_Expert
12 years ago

I've lurked here for some time, benefitting from everyone's experience and expertise, and now it's unfortunately my turn to ask a question:

I live in area with hot, humid summers and cold winters. My contractor is building a 500-sq.ft. covered, L-shaped ipe deck. Due to an apparent milling problem, some of the original 1x6 ipe boards were about 1/2" too narrow, but contractor did not discover the problem until 2 months after the wood was delivered and after he had already installed about 1/2 of the porch. Supplier sent replacements, which contractor wants to install now.

Problem is that the original, installed boards have been on-site since early spring (and exposed to cold, rainy weather), whereas the replacement boards are being installed after just 1 week on site (in very hot, humid weather). We're using 3/32" spacing, so any width difference would be really noticeable, at least to me, and I'm paying too much $$ for this porch to compromise on the end product, which is what the contractor has told me I will have to do. (It's hard to explain in an email, but just assume that if the boards do not acclimate evenly over time, it will leave a noticeable patch in the middle of my porch that can't be fixed without tearing up the entire thing and starting over from scratch.)

Question:

1. Should the contractor have noticed that so many of the delivered boards were not the right width when the original delivery was made?

2. Is it reasonable of me to expect the contractor to re-do the entire porch if the newly installed boards shrink unevenly and create a noticeable patch in the middle of my porch? I sympathize with the contractor, who is a really nice guy, but am I wrong to think this should not be my problem?

Thanks in advance for your opinions -- I'm particularly interested in what some of you contractors/long-time posters(john_hyatt, etc.) think.

Comments (8)