SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wynswrld98

Ipe questions including T&G for porch? width of stairs

Wayne Reibold
15 years ago

I'm going to tear out my existing front entryway decking that is falling apart and replace it with a porch with stairs coming down. I love the look of Ipe and like that it resists scratching and decay so I'm pretty sold on it vs. other materials.

The porch will be 23' x 6' and I'd like to go with 6" boards running parallel to the house. The porch will be 28" off of the ground. The porch is covered above from the roof line (although it will be open on the front and will have railing) protecting it from the elements -- is there any reason not to use the Ipe T&G vs. regular 6" Ipe pregrooved boards (with clips)? Then use 6" pregrooved Ipe boards for the 5' wide stairs that will come down the front?

Second question... I'd like to go with a more gradual incline to the stairs, perhaps go with 16 1/2" deep for each stair (vs. standard I believe is 11") to extend the stairway out and have a less significant incline. Does anyone see any functional problem with doing this? e.g., could it feel really unnatural walking up/down stairs like this?

I'm starting to read the many threads on what finish to use to keep the boards from going silver -- I think since my porch is protected (and hardly any sun at all) that an oil-based stain will work well there but the stairs are a different story since they're exposed to sun, rain, snow, etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments (3)