SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrmichaeljmoore

IPE and Deck building basics

16 years ago

I am in the process of getting bids for a replacement deck.

I am in Fairfield Connecticut (Danbury area)...so if anyone can recommend a builder, please let me know!!

my questions:

The deck size is 25'L x 13'W (325 square feet). It will be no more than 3' off the ground. It will have one set of stairs.....an extra wide set of stairs that wrap around one of the corners.

I am planning to use IPE....maybe (slight maybe) TimberTech Earthwood Tropical Walnut.

Now, I have never built a deck before and have no experience/knowledge, other than what I've got off this forum.

I have read a lot of the posts on this site but needed a little more clarification as the contractors come to the house to give bids.

What are the basics should I look for in deck building? What should I ask every contractor?

For example:

What size ledger board should I use? 2x8, 2x10??

What size should the joist boards be?2x8, 2x10?

How should the joist boards be laid (distance on center, is what I mean here...16, 20 on-center)?

How big (width and depth) should the cement footings be?

What type of flashing? copper, aluminum??

What are good sizes (height of steps, width of steps) for the stairs?

One contractor quoted me $31.50/sq ft for an IPE deck (with an IPE railing, one set of stairs).....add the footings ($150/footing x 4 = $600.00), total price was about $11,000. How does that sound to the folks on this board? Is that a fair price for Connecticut/NY area?

Those are the only questions I could think of, but I am sure there are many many things to look for when having this deck built.....so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have learned a few things on this board:

As far as the material, I am planning on calling George at East Teak to get a price.

Definitely gonna face screw the boards, probably using the brown headcote screws.

The under deck will be open...no lattice or anything, so there will be adequate ventilation.

Alright, the post is long enough. I'll wait for replies before asking anything else.

Thanks again.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus