SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jwetzel_gw

Need advice on porches for my grandmothers modular home.

jwetzel
16 years ago

Hello all...My 84 year-old grandmother is in the process of moving into a single wide modular home (basically a very nice trailer). She would like me to build 2 porches for her. This is a long story, but in a nutshell here is what I have to do:

1. The porches must be free floating (not bolted to the house) since after she dies the house must be removed and sold. They will be 8'x24' and 8'x16' in size.

2. She insists they actually be a porch with a roof...and I plan on using an arched aluminum roof system, similar to this one...http://www.durabilt.com/aluminum-awnings.html.

3. The deck itself will be about 28" off the ground. The structure will be PT lumber. It will sit on concrete piers poured below the frost line. The decking will be a composite (looking at ChoiceDek right now).

4. There will be white vinyl railings all around.

My question is...what is the best way to frame this deck? I need to have the roof loads transfer thru to the concrete piers. I had planned to tie the deck support and roof support posts all together at the outer edge of the deck, sitting right on top of the piers. Since it is free floating, and I cannot pour piers any closer than ~1.5' from the house, does that mean I must use a beam support under the end of the porch that is closer to the house? I can do it this way, just wondering if there is a smarter, cleaner way to do this.

I have span and beam tables handy and can calculate all the loads...thats not the issue, just need some advice on a simpler design if possible? Any ideas?

Thanks...Justin

Comment

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio