SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

roses....and more..please post your flower pics..

User
11 years ago

thought I would start a new thread for flowers. As we all get more coming out we can keep this going...should be fun to see the progression of blooms from one part of the country to another. Our azaleas are all gone and the roses are bursting. There are tons of buds and many haven't even started yet . Clemmies are just starting too and the jasmines. So we should be able to keep this going for a while. I hope all will participate !

Here is a sampling. Photobucket has still not re-instituted its slideshow . If you click on a pic it will take you to the album I made for roses etc 2013. c

baptisia...this is a rare pale yellow one :

{{gwi:694609}}

Zepherine D at the entrance to carport :

can't remember her name :

or hers :

main rose garden by carport

by the pool :

pool wall :

by the fountain in pool area:

tradescantia, I love purple :

Madame Alfred a bower of roses as you come in the pool gate ..she has a fragrance like lychee..sweet !

one more...pool wall :

Comments (114)

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

Oh goodness, everything is just gorgeous!

Evenshade, your gardens are envious for sure!

Mtn, I never get tired of looking at the beautiful grounds surrounding your home. Just lovely.

Everyone with roses - I am envious! I haven't had the time or patience to try anything but knockouts. Some day, (sigh)!

Trailrunner, we have 9 acres, about half in woods. Had to cut a lot of pine trees to build so it left us with some openness that we've tried to replant with trees in some areas. Here is a pic of the 'backside' of the pond looking toward the back of the house. It needs to be cleaned out, but we've had such ugly weather it's still on the to-do list. The dogwoods didn't do much this year and everything is late. I hope the iris will eventually bloom out as well as the daylilies (I have way too many). We're just outside of Huntsville.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh I love the Huntsville area. I have so many fond memories of Monte Santo ! Great place to run. Your pond area is lovely. It is pouring rain here now. We have had 40's at night again and chilly during the day. It is supposed to get up to 82 by Wed...I sure hope so ! The pool is cold again.

Thank you for posting ..you are so lucky to have 9 acres !! c

• Related Discussions

Post pics of your eggplants

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi Karenrei, Nice pics. :) Eggplants don't like cold so there is only a short season for them in zone4/5 outdoors. If your eggplant is indoors, (no wind, no bees) you'll have to hand pollinate it else the flower will fall off with no fruit. You can try tapping the flower with your finger but your best bet may be to take an electric toothbrush and buzz the flower. Brian
    ...See More

Please post your pictures of your citrus partying outdoors. Pics.

Q

Comments (142)
    My citrus have started the party out doors. Nagami kumquat in very bad shape but I believe it will live.. It is marked with the flying baseball cap. the crown marks my sweet lee tangerine tree. It was on its death bed then and is doing very well since planting there. The large tree below is my seed grown meiwa kumquat tree. In the process of moving it in and out I dropped it once and forgot to put in the spacer and burned the trunk with the light bulb. It has lost 1/3 of its leaves and shows no sign s of growth the smaller tree is a seed grown nagami kumquat. It is doing very well. 3 happy sweet lee tangerine trees from seed in bottomless gallon food tins. I had placed 3 sweetlee trees and a nagami kumquat tree in the community garden. Squirrels dug 3 sweetlee trees and the nagami up, one was replantable but died. the seed grown nagami was in critical damaged and was moved on to the roof as seen in the flying baseball cap. All four trees were very un happy not because the were grown from seed Here is a link that might be useful: http://s1094.photobucket.com/user/wreristhechimney/slideshow/Seed%20grown%20Meiwa%20kumquat%20tree
    ...See More

July picture time. Please everyone post some pic of your babies.:

Q

Comments (30)
    First is the big labeled family photo. Citrus: there's seedling lemon, tangelo, pummelo, yuzu, along with an unlabeled sudachi. There's also a larger grafted yuzu and a grafted calamondin. As for non-citrus, there's three nightshades (tamarillo, naranjilla and coconas), two pots of seedling guavas, and a rather spindly ice cream bean seedling. [IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b122/davidals/Project1.jpg[/IMG] Second is the unlabeled pic. [IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b122/davidals/Picture547.jpg[/IMG] Third, is a closer view including the big yuzu and calamondin, the pummelo and tangelo in front of them, and the big naranjilla on the right side. [IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b122/davidals/CopyofPicture548.jpg[/IMG] Last, this is a close-up of some of the seedling (non-grafted) citrus - from top to bottom, yuzu, pummelo, tangelo and sudachi. The black pot is tamarillo sprouts, which I need to thin out. To me, the only notable thing here is how different papeda-type citrus look from other citrus when young - smaller, slower in growth, smaller leaves, but very lush, small (not visible in this pic) spines, but more of 'em than other citrus. [IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b122/davidals/Picture537.jpg[/IMG]
    ...See More

Spring flower pics x-post

Q

Comments (2)
    Your garden is absolutely stunning! The textures, colors, shapes, structures...everything is perfect. I also wonder if you got this right the first time. Seems I put things in and end up moving this or that because I just don't get that look that you have! Of course, I do have lots of weeds meandering throughout the garden...if it is growing exceptionally well, I always know I should pull it out because it is bound to be a weed! :( Thanks for the inspiration. I took the day off today and your post went perfectly with my tea. Now, out to weed!
    ...See More
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Thank you, trail, thank you outside, and desert.

Desert. It was essentially done last November, but there is a window rod that has to go up. It's been a low priority because the curtains are so diaphanous it doesn't really matter, but id like it for photos. Plus I am going to train a vine around the doorway and thought id wait for that.

That said, I did take this of the daffodils:

{{!gwi}}

• pirula
    11 years ago

That's lovely! Guesthouse??? I'd live there!

• User
    11 years ago

Mtn, the light is different in this photo of the stone house than the others, the trim color looks much lighter and beautiful with the stone. I liked it when it appeared darker, too, in the winter, it is a chameleon building that takes its cues from the seasons! The tulips and cherry tree are magnificent, and the daffodils. I haven't had much luck with daffs, it is just too wet! Our last house had a perennial garden designed by the PO, containing some flowers and colors I would never have chosen. But it was always a reminder that I was just one of many caretakers, and I came to appreciate the variety, and by the time we left regarded those gaudy colors as welcome harbingers of spring.

I came home from a week in Virginia to see these yellow knockouts blooming!

• Oakley
    11 years ago

K, don't you live in the north? For some reason I thought you did. Because mine haven't started budding yet because of all the freezes we've had on a weekly basis, and I'm in OK.

The only plants that are blooming are my Dianthus and Spiderwort, but not enough blooms to take a picture.

Today my DIL gave me this Calla Lily. It is so bushy and healthy! I've never grown CL's before, but I'm going to put it in a pot on the front porch. I read they make good potted plants indoors or out, but I want to do it outdoors. If any of you have grown these before, how much morning sun do you give them?

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

kswl...lovely roses ! I don't have any of the yellow knockouts. I do have other yellow roses. Where in VA were you ? The new Virginia Living magazine came out yesterday and DS1 and his restaurant The Red Hen were voted #1 in the Shenandoah valley ! We were so pleased. DIL had one of her dessert recipes published in the issue also and they were voted #3 for desserts so all around a nice surprise.

oakley don't know about cl's but that is beautiful !c

• mdrive
    11 years ago

mtn, absolutely beautiful....love the paint color and the stone of course....what a lovely space!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Trail, congrats to your DS and DIL! ONe of these days I am going to have a reason to get there (I'm a pretty serious foodie and it sounds wonderful!)

KSWL, thanks! Yellow roses are my favorite. I will have a long wait for roses here yet. And yes we love the grey paint.

Thanks, Desert.

Pirula --- not quite a guest house, it is tiny and the nearest bathroom is 100 steps away, by the pool! So far its been used mostly for my girls' sleepovers. I just remembered though, our anniversary is coming up ... maybe we will go there, LOL

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Trail, congrats to your DS and DIL! ONe of these days I am going to have a reason to get there (I'm a pretty serious foodie and it sounds wonderful!)

KSWL, thanks! Yellow roses are my favorite. I will have a long wait for roses here yet. And yes we love the grey paint.

Thanks, Desert.

Pirula --- not quite a guest house, it is tiny and the nearest bathroom is 100 steps away, by the pool! So far its been used mostly for my girls' sleepovers. I just remembered though, our anniversary is coming up ... maybe we will go there, LOL

• User
    11 years ago

C, I was actually in the Shennandoah valley--- our youngest is in college in Virginia. I completely forgot that your son is a chef in Virginia! DH and I are on a board up there and have meetings twice a year--- I will make reservations the next time I go up. So glad you reminded me!

Oakley, I live in rural Georgia. Normally it gets HOT here by the end of April, but not this year. It is still cold and rainy, and for some reason these drought resistant, full sun knockouts are happy. Go figure...

• Oakley
    11 years ago

I don't know why I thought you lived up north. All of my KO's are about 4' tall now. The yellow KO is the newest but I sure hope it goes crazy this summer like it's sisters in pink and red. They sure do like the heat!

Keep me updated on your yellow KO.

All this talk of Virginia makes me homesick. Long story. lol

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mnt...that little house is just SO sweet...I sure hope you will show us all the finished product soon :)

kswl...yep...bah humbug to those that say KO's like drought and heat...ha...mine have never looked better...and as you say it is cold and rainy LOL...

I had NO idea that your son was up there. You better get yourself to the Red Hen pronto :) c

• User
    11 years ago

Not cultivated, clearly, but one of our happy spring scenes here is a field of yarrow that is beautiful! These views are along the side of our driveway. We have a couple of distinct areas of yarrow, about three acres of it. It will have to be bush hogged in about three or four weeks, as other, less attractive weeds will slowly win the competition for resources, although it's so wet we will have to wait until it dries up or the tractor will get stuck---- a not uncommon occurrence :-) We rmow the first 20 feet out from the drive every week, and from there it's all up to Mother Nature. Yarrow in the early spring, queen Anne's lace later on, after we've bush hogged a couple of times.

• pirula
    11 years ago

Sorry OT but, trail runner! Did you know Red Hen was written up in the Washington Post food section today?.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

kswl..that is gorgeous . I can just imagine the butterflies !

NO pirula !! What in the world..will call DS and find out . Will see if I can find it online. Thank you ! c

• badgergal
    10 years ago

Trail runner hope this link works. Otherwise just google Washington Post and put Red Hen in their search box.
    Wish I lived near his restaurant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Hen

• pirula
    10 years ago

That's it! Bravo trailrunner jr.!

• pirula
    10 years ago

For some reason I had it in my head that your son's restaurant was in rural Virginia. It's in DC! Whoop! We are soooooo going. DH already reserved Le Diplomate for Mother's Day, but we may go for Father's Day, if not sooner.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nope...called DS1 and he laughed...they stole the name ! He has been at The Red Hen in Lexington VA for 2 1/2 years. It was open before he made it famous with his Top chef award in Nov 2012 from Cooking Light and this week he was named #1 restaurant in Shenandoah Valley. The people in DC are late to the game :)

Have a great dinner but please come to VA soon to have the REAL Red Hen .c

• pirula
    10 years ago

Uh oh. So I just checked Virginia magazine you mentioned and you son's restaurant IS in rural-y Virginia. Wrong restaurant in Washington Post. Sorry trailrunner. Jeez, who knew there'd be more than one "Red Hen?"

• pirula
    10 years ago

We cross posted. I am in VA, but just outside DC. It's looking like Lexington is at least two hours away.... Wah. But! You never know!

• User
    10 years ago

Gosh, c, that doesn't seem kosher--- after all, the owners of the faux hen had to have done a corporation search before they selected the name. Your son should submit something (short article, photo) to WaPo about the real hen... Something funny but brings attention to them.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

kswl, love your pastoral scenes! Didn't know you lived in rural GA, but our wildflowers must be similar.

C, I totally got confused on the Red Hen discussion, but congrats to your DH and DIL on their restaurant. If we're up in that area, will be sure to look for the REAL Red Hen. We do have a good friend in Falls Church who seeks out the good places & will travel to them so I'll tell her abaout the article. I don't know about VA restaurants, but in AL, 2 businesses can't have the same name.

• User
    10 years ago

Thanks, outside-- love your pictures as well and they do feel familiar, DH is from your state :-)

Re the name--- it's possible one or bothe corporations is DBA. Still, it's not remotely possible the faux hen did not know about the existence of the real one. The connotation of "red hen" is both French and farm/rural. It's a strange name for an Italian bistro in DC, n'est pas?

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't know what the "rule" is either. But for sure they know about Collin...there isn't anyone who is a chef that doesn't keep up with what is going on all over the place ! Ah well...will see how they do and what the reviews are like after they are open for a while . So far they are really doing well and the reviews are all pretty positive. The menu sounds very good.

outside...hope you and pirula get to make the trip...would love to hear what you think :) c

• eandhl
    10 years ago

I am in CT too but a very cold, damp area so everything is later. This week my daffodils finally blossomed and unfortunately the rain beat them down yesterday and last night. :(
    One tulip is opening. Bloodroot blossomed and dying off. Dandelions are blooming and right now I am trying to convince myself at least it is color.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

We have a local restaurant that was forced to change names because another restaurant already had the name. Id never even heard of the second restaurant, and we eat out a lot, so I think it had to have been fairly far away.

I think they should challenge them to a bake off or a bbq off or some such, unless of course they are chicken. I'd definitely put a bug in WaPo's ear about it.

• prill
    10 years ago

We're catching up to you a little bit here in Western Mass C...

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ohhhhh..pretty prill:) You have surpassed us !! Now you have to name it all...I know the daffs and the maples and the azaleas,pansies, iris and petunias in the hanging pot...not sure what the others are...so spill !! c

• User
    10 years ago

Gorgeous!

• pirula
    10 years ago

Beautiful! Oh yes please! What's that beauty fifth from the bottom with the lighter yellow/green flowers? I think I'm in love.

• prill
    10 years ago

Pirula, that's called Euphorbia Polychroma or
    Cushion Spurge. Not sure what else you missed Carolyn... the last one is ajuga (its a ground cover). The purple one under the maples is a geranium, possibly Johnson's blue. The little white flower is Lily of the Valley. The orange pink shrub under the spurge is a flowering quince... did I miss anything?

It's amazing how fast things pop out once it warm. It's a strange spring up here.

• pirula
    10 years ago

Thank you!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ah...my ajuga is all done...you close ups are amazing ! I have planted spurge but it never bloomed...hmm...didn't know it would LOL ! I recognized the L of V and the quince. I have/had the wild geraniums but I think most of them are gone...one is still pretty nice but didn't do much this year. OK...now we are ready for some more folks to post. I have a ton of pots that I made...I couldn't resist. Used all things that will come back. Will try and do picks in the next few days...thank you prill ! c

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

peonypicsfromprill !!! so pretty. I spent hours in the hot sun dead-heading roses !! Will be tons more buds if we keep getting these rains. My big concern is I will be gone for 2 months so who knows how they will be when I get back :(

I LOVE your posiesprill !! :) c

• prill
    10 years ago

Are you going on another journey?? Where this year?

• dlfrun66
    10 years ago

Here's some of potted plants on the back deck.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

everything is gorgeous!

the white lilacs!

and oooohhh those peonies!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

dino..that view...those pots...sigh ! Where are you ???

prill...we are going to live in Lexington for 2 months. I haven't posted about it yet. We are leaving next week. Have a small...very small ...furnished cottage on a 1790 fox hunting estate. It is lovely and only 7 miles out of town. We are very excited. Will have to post lots of pics. c

• prill
    10 years ago

dino, what a view! Beautiful.

That sounds wonderful C. Is someone going to take care of your garden for you? Can't wait to see pics from KY.

• User
    10 years ago

Loving all these gorgeous spring flowers.... There is nothing as beautiful as the scenes nature provides us in all areas of the world. With a little help from these talented gardeners, of course !

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

prill Virginia...not Kentucky LOL! We wanted to be near grand baby :) We have a young man from our church who will cut the grass and water if need be and monitor the pool. His dad and mom own a horticulture business and can advise if need be but he likely will do nothing except basics. So I will have a lot to do when I get back. c

• prill
    10 years ago

Oh, you said Lexington... I thought Kentucky. So, you'll be north! Glad someone will be there to watch your beautiful house and yard. Send pics.

New grandbabies are great. I have one 15 months old now. Lily Rose.. She's adorable.

• badgergal
    10 years ago

I have been enjoying everyones gorgeous gardens and fabulous flower pictures. We finally have warm weather here in Wisconsin. Tulips, daffodills and other early spring flowers have come and gone. Roses,peonies and others are not blooming yet.My flowering trees were a week to 10 days later than normal but as you can see by this one. It was worth the wait.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

WOW! badgergal...I should have guessed....my bicycle riding buddy is from Sobeiski ..right outside of Green Bay. He has been in Ecuador and Peru for the past 2 months as he wanted to miss the Winter ! He got home yesterday....looks like just in time. Your tree is gorgeous.

Prill...my baby is 18 1/2 months and is Griffin Evers. We need to pass pics ! c

• prill
    10 years ago

C, yes, I'll send you a pic. Have a safe trip and a great time with Griffin. Must be hard to live so far away.

• dlfrun66
    10 years ago

Thank you trail runner and pill

Trail runner...I'm in Indiana near indpls.

I love all these flowers. Will have to visit this post this winter.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am glad you revived this thread dino. Nothing looks as it did in the Spring :) After all the heat of June and all the rain of July we are just getting an unusual Summer flush..small one but still at least the roses have leaves. Will see what Fall brings. Please do post back . c

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio