SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissastar

need feedback on cabinet/color choices for 2 part kitchen

melissastar
14 years ago

Well, the plan for my kitchen remodel is just about set. The main kitchen, food prep area will be open to the dining area, separated by a counter/breakfast bar. It will house a baking area, refrigerator, prep sink, butcherblock counter, 36" Capitol range and food storage. Behind it is a short hall, with windows facing the "light well" between my row house and my neighbor's on one side and door to a powder room on the other. Behind it is the scullery/butlers' pantry area with a large single bowl sink (already bought...30" Kohler cast iron in a white crackle finish procelain), DW and lots of glass door or open shelves for dishes...many, many dishes. Plan is posted in the gallery, URL below.

I've pretty much decided on color scheme/style for the front/public kitchen...seen from the dining room. What I'm wrestling with now is how much different I can make the scullery without it looking schizophrenic?

The front (part I) of the kitchen will lean toward Arts and Crafts. My home is part of a row of homes built in 1907 in which the exteriors are all alike, but the builders gave the original buyers the option of a Victorian interior or an arts & crafts interior. In fact, both styles of homes are mostly Victorian...style of woodwork, pocket doors, leaded glass windows (mostly bubbly or rippled clear glass but with some art glass pieces)...etc. But the owners who chose A&C got fireplaces with brick surrounds, double wood mantles (instead of marble and mirror surrounds), more wood panelling, benches and bookshelves. Mine is one of them.

So, I'm planning A&C style cabinets... golden oak top cabs to match the woodwork, painted moss or sage green bottom cabs. Soapstone counters. Motawi tile backsplash...mostly creamy yellow field tiles with accents of green peach, gold, and maybe the Dard Hunter floral trio...to coordinate with the dining room wallpaper. (picture of wallpaper and diining room light fixture are in gallery...sorry couldn't figure out how to put more than one link in!) . Cabinet hardware, antique brass on the oak, oil rubbed bronze on the painted bottoms.

IN the back, I 'm thinking more Victorian...painted cabs on top and bottom, beadboard backs for the dish cabinets, the white Kohler sink, same soapstone counters. Oil rubbed bronze cab hardware all around. Question is: Will this look like I just couldn't make up my mind about what kind of kitchen I wanted (which is true) or as if it sort of developed differently over the years? And could I maybe paint the cabinets in the back all soft antique yellow...the wall/backsplash color of the front...or should they be green like the bottom cabs in the front kitchen? How different can these be?

Here is a link that might be useful: Baltimore row house kitchen in two parts plan

Comments (3)