SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissastar

Cabinet/other choices in my two part kitchen...need feedback.

melissastar
14 years ago

Well, the plan for my kitchen remodeling seems more or less set now. The main food preparation kitchen will be open to the dining room, separated by a counter and breakfast bar. Behind it, there's a sort-of short hall, with windows on one side and the door to a small powder room on the other side. Behind it is the scullery/butler's pantry part of the kitchen, which will house large sink, dw and dish storage (many, many dishes....).

URL of plan attached.

I'm pretty much set on the style/colors, etc. for the "front" part of the kitchen adjoining the DR. It will be sort of arts and crafts style: "golden" oak top cabinets (to match woodwork in dining room and living room), but distressed painted (medium sage green) bottom cabinets. Soapstone and butcher block counters. Ceramic tile or slate floor, arts and crafts inspired tile backsplash ( maybe field tiles of soft yellow in a whirlwind or basketweave pattern with center accent tiles in green, gold, peach, etc. to pick up the colors of the William Morris wallpaper already in the dining room.)

I like the idea of making the scullery/butlers' pantry part look different...as if it had been built at a somewhat different time. The fact is, this house, built in 1907 bridges Victorian and Arts and Crafts. Most of the style is Victorian, but the builders of the whole block gave original buyers a choice of interior styles....true Victorian or A&C. Most of the door and window frames, staircase spindles are Victorian whatever one chose. But the A&C houses such as mine have an A&C brick fireplace, oak double mantel, oak bookshelves and benches plus an original art glass shower fixture in the dining room and lots of leaded glass (part seeded or rippled clear glass, part art-glass) windows. So I kind of like the idea of the scullery part leaning more Victorian. Painted top and bottom cabinets, beadboard in the back of cabinets (open or with glass doors for dishes, maybe a beadboard backsplash, or perhaps just using the plain creamy yellow field tile (subways?) from the front, without the colored accent tiles. Countertop would be soapstone. And oh yes, I've already bought a gorgeous 30" single bowl Kohler cast-iron/porcelain white crackle finish sink.

Would it be too weird to shift ears like this? LIke I couldn't make up my mind what kind of kitchen I wanted, so I did both? (which is, in fact, kinda true....)

Here is a link that might be useful: Baltimore row house kitchen in two parts plan

Comment (1)