SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidfairport

Should I try to avoid butting 2 deck boards on 1 joist?

David B
13 years ago

I am replacing my existing PT 2x6 deck boards with 5/4 PT, and am thinking about trying to avoid butting boards against each other on the same joist.

A deck book got me thinking about this because it tends to weaken the boards by having the screws so close to the ends, and it invites rot by having the ends over a solid board underneath, which doesn't allow for drainage or air circulation. This seems to make a lot of sense.

So the book suggests having a parallel joist, separated by a 1/2" spacer, to screw the next board in line to. With a wide deck, and a random arrangement of board ends, this adds a lot of parallel joists.

I'm trying to figure out if I have a valid construction concern, or if I'm just being neurotic. It seems the standard method for building decks is to just randomize the ends as much as possible, butt the boards on a single joist, angle the screws a bit into the joist, and be done with it. It seems a bit half a$$ed, but if it works and lasts, why not?

Help, experiences, and ideas appreciated!

Thanks,

David

PS

In a previous message:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/porch/msg060940437221.html?2

...I asked advice on an idea for replacing my deck boards, dividing the deck into three sections separated by perpendicular trim boards. The only reason for doing so was this concern about two boards on a joist.

Comments (5)