SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
celticmoon_gw

begging for advice: big ol deck cleaning/restaining (pix, 6 ?)

celticmoon
17 years ago

I have searched and read all I can here, but this sore, tired DIY crone still needs help.

This is an 18 year old house and deck west side of Milwaukee (=snow). A good while back the deck was stained a grey color. I thought it was a solid stain, but I found a leftover container hand marked "TWP deck stain". I don't think TWP makes a solid. Also, while worn, the finish never bubbled or peeled as I have read solid stain does. Just wore off. I used some that hadn't dried up a year ago on a replacement board and it looks like this: (picture is board amid typical worn, dirty area)

Question #1: So gurus, would you guess that to be TWP 300? It is pretty opaque but maybe not all the way to solid.

The finish has worn and failed badly on this poorly maintained deck (bad owners!). I cannot afford to replace deck boards at this time. Cannot. But I am trying to clean it up. Took out some trees and that should help address the mold/moss. It is in shamefullly bad shape in places:

Question #2: Still worth my work to clean it up, yes? It is grotesque and it seems like a good cleaning/restaining and better maintenance should squeeze a few more years life out of it. Am I delusional?

I bought RAD (Restore a Deck) and have done the first step on a third of the deck. With scrubbing a lot, and using a power washer to rinse, I think I am getting all the mold off.

Question #3: Given how bad the mold is, should I do a bleach wash step as well? Before or after or instead of the RAD? Hate to damage the surrounding landscaping.

The first RAD cleaning step gets me to this (before neutralizing/brightening). A spectacular improvement:

RAD is not taking all the grey stain off, maybe 80%. Since it is so neglected, I am not inclined to try to get to bare wood. Besides, the 600+ sf would take me forever to chemically strip and sand. Some of the thousand nails I reset no doubt would shred the sandpaper. And I worry also about the dense landscaping with stripper (or bleach):

Question 4: How can I assess if bleaching, chemically stripping and/or sanding is an essential step? Not trying for perfection, just cleanup and improvement in prognosis/longevity (me and the deck both)

Question 5: After RAD step 2, can I use TWP 300 Prarie Grey? It is close in color but less blue than the mix I believe is on there (looking to lose the blue note) Or will I end up with a totally blotchy mess?

Question 6: Or must I go the Cabot Problem Solver primer route and true solid stain? Hate to go there and risk the bubbling, peeling, etc. down the road. Slightly blotchy might be preferable. Certainly better than now!

I am open to other thoughts and suggestions. Except the obvious (and right now impossible) directive to rip it out and put in IPE!

TIA. I am most appreciative of your time and expertise.

Comments (5)