SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
acomom_gw

Good Green (or other color?) for Basement Room

acomom
15 years ago

Hi all,

I know there's a whole thread in the gallery on favorite greens, but I'm looking for a few top of mind suggestions for a paint color for my husband's basement office. The built-in cabinets and desk are a very light, almost blonde oak finish that is a tad yellowy-orangey. The carpet is dark brown - not deep chocoloate brown, but just a few shades lighter. No natural light; just overhead and task lighting. I thought maybe a deep orange/terracotta would be good in the room, but he's pretty much nixed that idea. So I moved on to green, but I'm having a heck of a time finding the right one for the lighting. So far I've tried Duron Gumleaf, SW Ryegrass, and BM Thicket from their Affinity line. Gumleaf is okay, not great, and Thicket reads way too dark and muddy in that room (although I'm in love with the color in another setting). I've thought about trying EK Edgewood Green, but again, I'm afraid it's going to read grey. Ryegrass is probably the closest thing to working in the room so far, but I'm afraid it's going to veer a little too "limey" or bright than I want - I was thinking of something a bit more subtle. Any ideas for another green I should check out? Or should I look in another color family altogether?

By the way, the majority of the basement is SW Bagel, so ideally this color would flow well with Bagel too, and with the other colors I have going on down there - browns, reds, and bit of orange and green thrown in. I tried some of the colors on the "Bagel" strip in the room but they blend in a little too well ... I'm looking for a little contrast. I also don't think I want to do this room a true red, and orange was nixed ... so here I am trying to find a good green or other neutral type color.

I'm not usually this stumped ... so any and all suggestions are most welcome. Thanks!

Comments (2)