SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ronm80

Eye Dr. and glasses ?

ronm80
14 years ago

Do I need carbonite lens for my glasses? Gosh with the transitional lens, carbonite and frames the cost is around $1000, exam not included. The frames I picked out were some of the cheapest at $165. Told them I would come back tomorrow to decide. Does this sound high to you'll?

Comments (30)

• monica_pa Grieves
    14 years ago

Sounds high to me, but my last pair of glasses cost a little over $400(before AAA 30% discount) about 6-7 years ago. And although they are progressive, they aren't transitional.

From what I just read, carbonite is the latest, greatest, and most expensive

• azzalea
    14 years ago

DD is an optician. That's not an unheard of price for glasses these days.

Have you checked the local college where opticians train? I go to the dispensary there, and get my glasses at cost. Last pair was a hair over $200 at the college, but at the shop where DD works, WITH the family discount, they'd have run between $800-1000. I got designer frames with magnetic sunglasses, the most expensive brand of progressive lenses, and the top line of non-glare coating. Might be worth your while to get a price at the college.

One other thing to remember--there are different grades of transitions. They're not all created equal--are you getting the one that will work in the car? Most aren't effective for driving, because you're not actually sitting in the sun (the roof blocks enough light that the transition feature doesn't kick in).

• Related Discussions

Glass Doll Eyes

Q

Comments (1)
    You can buy glass eyes in any doll shop or lots of websites sell them too..I see them being sold on ebay as well.....
    ...See More

Dr. Vliet or Dr. Lee?

Q

Comments (6)
    Hi toobusy, I am just as confused as you are, and I'm feeling awful most of the time too......But I wanted to mention that, in my experience, it takes at least 2 months for a hormone adjustment to stabilize. I usually see some change (good or bad) at 2 weeks, then it takes me 2 months to really stabilize. I got into alot of trouble a few years ago because right after a hormone adjustment I would immediately get horrible headaches and other awful symptoms and then I would turn right around and make another change. At that time, I thought I was doing the right thing, but now I know I was just chasing my tail, and making life so much more difficult. So.....hang in there, and give each med at least 2 months, before making more changes. Good luck!
    ...See More

Seeking: Cherry Pedestal with glass top for DR

Q

Comments (3)
    OK, the link won't work but try a web site called Furniture From Home. Item # 909. They have the picture of a round glass top but say you can get two pedestals and either an 84" or 96" rectangular top. They also have 96" square. Pedestals are cherry with nice lines and are $349 each. Glass for the square is also $349 but they don't list the price for the rectangular glass. Free white glove delivery over $1000 purchase. The table is shown with chenille and leather chairs.
    ...See More

Glass Eye 2000

Q

Comments (5)
    Would you resend and put GARDEN WEB - PATTERN REQUEST in the subject line so it will stand out? I've looked for your email and don't see it.
    ...See More
  • lydia1959
    14 years ago

Sounds very high to me. I have the progressive lenses like Monica though. My last pair was about $225. with the thin lenses, anti-scratch coating, anti-glare, nice designer frames. Got mine at the Walmart optical store.

I'd check around if I were you.

• linda_in_iowa
    14 years ago

I recently got new glasses at a local department store that advertised 2 pair for $99. The two pair ended up costing $288 which wasn't all that bad. I got carbonite lenses on one pair and also the anti-glare. The sunglasses have plastic lenses which need a scratch resistant coating. The frames aren't my favorites but they are OK.

• Happyladi
    14 years ago

I'm an optician. The lens is polycarbonate or polycarb. It's a thinner, lighter and more impact resistant material then regular plastic but the optical quality is not quite as good. Whether you should get it depends on many factors.

What concerns me is that the lenses of your glasses are costing over $800.00 based on what you wrote and polycarb is not an expensive lens material. Now there are some lenses that would cost that much but very few.

At my shop even the most expensive premium progressives (no lines) with high index lenses (which are more expensive and can be even thinner then polycarb), Transition, and the best anti reflective coating (like Crizal Avance with Scotchguard) wouldn't cost that much.

I really think you should shop around a little. You might want to do some research on lens materials, and options, too. I will be glad to answer any questions you have.

• Happyladi
    14 years ago

As for Transition lenses, the regular ones don't change in a car because it is UV that changes them. Just last month Transition released a new Transition Extra Active. It reacts to both UV and visible light and do change moderately in the car.

However, regular Transition lenses are clear inside and the Extra Active has a light tint inside, about 17%. They also take longer to lighten up when you come inside, especially if they had gotten very dark. Like all Transition lenses they darken more in cold weather then in hot weather, too.

• lisa_fla
    14 years ago

The cost is much cheaper at eyeglass places compared to the eye DR-even if those places are not in your insurance network. I saved over $100 by buying mine at Target. I remember when DD was 11, I got her glasses at the eye Dr for $228, and later stopped in BJ's and happened to notice kids glasses are $88 there. I could have gotten her 2 pairs for less then one at the eye DR. Get your RX, take your time and try Target, Lenscrafters, a club store if you have a membership.

• Happyladi
    14 years ago

You do have to compare apples to apples. Think of cars, you can buy a new car for under 20K or you can spend twice as much or more. Both are cars, both have a lot of the same things but the more expensive one will have things the cheaper one won't.

It's the same with eyeglasses. Some progressives are newer and have better areas and less distortion, they tend to be more expensive.

Some anti reflective (AR) coatings are much more durable and easy to clean (and stay clean)and they cost more, too. In fact, with AR I think it pays to get the best.

For people with strong prescriptions high index lenses can be worth the extra money.

You can pay more or less at a lot of places, a doctor's office might have some expensive glasses but they also could have less expensive ones, too. They aren't necessarily going to be more expensive.

• kathleenca
    14 years ago

You could just ask for your prescription & price-shop around. Nothing requires you to get the frames or lenses from your optometrist. You should also ask what material your current leneses are, which could help determine if you need the "latest generation."

• eandhl
    14 years ago

happyladi, do you have an opinion on which material does give the best optical quality? (progressive lense, with an Astigmatism, p.o. cataract and glaucoma)

• debo_2006
    14 years ago

I'd advise you to get a written prescription and shop around - what Kathleenca said. I've done that plenty of times. If you really knew what it cost for the lenses and frames, you'd be shocked at the outrageous mark up on full glasses. My sister has worked at an optical shop for over 12 years so I get the low-down from her.

Keep in mind that transitional lenses will not protect your eyes from UV, and really don't block the sunlight that well. I've had them and won't throw away $ on that "additive" again. I always felt like I needed sunglasses on top of the transitions when outside.

What will your eye care insurance pay for? Just make sure that whatever optical shop you go to is "in network" which covers more of the cost.

• nanny98
    14 years ago

I just picked up glasses from Costco today...about $200 worth. Includes transitions, polycarbonate lenses, trifocals, uv ptotection and scratch resistance. Can't think of anything more. Shop around.

• Happyladi
    14 years ago

The material with the best optics is glass with standard plastic coming in very close behind. I bet that surprises many people.

Any of the thinner lighter lenses have slightly poorer optics but 95% of people won't notice. I wear polycarb lenses and I see just fine out of them.

High index 1.60, high index 1.70, and Trivex which is 1.53 are considered to have the best optics among the thinner lenses. The higher the number the thinner the lens. But again, for many people they won't see the difference. People with a lot of astigmatism or stronger corrections would benefit the most.

One of the best ways to improve optics is to get a high quality AR coat. It will increase the amount of light that reaches your eyes and eliminate reflections.

• sue_va
    14 years ago

I may or may not be getting new glasses so this is all very timely for me.

I had not heard of the carbonite lens so I googled. One thing I read there that hasn't been mentioned here is there is also Trivex lenses. According to the info Poly and Trivex are recommended most for children, sports and safety glasses. They are stronger and less likely to be break.

Often the cost is more in the frames rather than the lens. If you would use the same frames you have now you could save a lot.

Sue

• Happyladi
    14 years ago

Sue va, I mentioned Trivex. It has optics closest to regular plastic, is very light, and thinner then regular plastic. But there are thinner chooses if you have a strong correction. And yes, it and polycarb are the most impact resistant.

And there is no such thing as a carbonite lens! It is called polycarbonate. It is often shortened to polycarb or just poly.

• sue_va
    14 years ago

happiladi, yes, I see that now. I was typing while you were posting.

I'll be saving all this info for when, and if, I get new glasses.

Sue

• Jodi_SoCal
    14 years ago

Ron, I'm sorry to bust in here but I too am currently shopping for new frames and lenses and would like to join the conversation with Happyladi.

My prescription isn't terribly strong but I do have astigmatism.

I'm a designer and sit in front of a computer most of the day and often long into the night. I work in low light levels because it's more comfortable for me.

I'm 56 but can still read without glasses though I prefer not to take my glasses off and on all the time so I wear progressives.

My problem is I like to wear the more fashionable frames but they are short, top to bottom which causes some distortion. I experience key-stoning and the odd sensation objects, like passing cars, are drifting toward me while I drive. I've grown accustomed to both problems but now I hear I can possibly avoid the problems altogether if I get the right lenses.

I will also opt for regular transitions my next go around since I don't want to pay for or keep track of another pair of glasses.

Any suggestions?

Jodi-

• eandhl
    14 years ago

Thank you happilady for taking the time to pass on the information.

• 3katz4me
    14 years ago

Okay - I wonder if I can get an eyeglass question answered in here. I saw someone mentioned best bet is to get antireflective coating. I got that for the first time - unbeknownst to me. I always opt NOT to get all that stuff because it runs the price way up. However I bought a nice pair of glasses at Target - nice frames, progressive lenses, cheap compared to any I've bought in recent years.

I went back there a few months later because of how scratched my new lensese were. I'm really careful with my glasses - how I clean them - etc. - and I've never had a problem with scratched lenses. The new glasses are terribly scratched and I thought it must be because the lenses were lower quality and cheaper.

They told me it's because of the antireflective coating. It's this coating that's scratched from cleaning!! I clean with lense cloth and lense cleaner. So I've just been thinking - never again will I get antireflective coating.

But is it really better? Other than the scratches I do really like the new glasses so maybe AR is good but doesn't seem so when I'm looking through scratches. I like crystal clear vision at all times.

By the way a friend recently mentioned to me that she gets all her glasses at Sears - very cheap even with progressive lenses. The ones she had on when I saw her were very cute.

• susanjf_gw
    14 years ago

we're costco shoppers, too, and use the dr there, too...btw, did you check with your medical ins to see if they cover anything?

• Happyladi
    14 years ago

So many questions- I'll try to help. :^)

Jodi, progressives do an intermediate correction in the middle of the lens but the area isn't terribly big. Some brands are bigger then others. You can get a usable area even in the narrower styles. I have noticed a trend towards deeper lens depths in the latest optical magazines.

The most important thing is to have the computer monitor in the right place. Your eyes should be level with the top of the screen, or at least near the top. If you are having to tilt your head back to see the screen then it is too high. Remember, the computer correction area is in the middle of the lens, not the top. An anti reflective (AR) can help, too.

Some people enjoy having a separate pair of computer/work glasses. These can be made with or without lines. The top focuses at the computer distance and the bottom focuses for near distance.

Also, you mentioned Transition lenses. I love my Transitions but regular Transition lenses don't change in the car, only the new Extra Active Transitions do some.

Gibby, if you read over my posts you will notice that I stress high quality AR and said it's worth paying extra to get it. You got a low end AR and they do scratch easily and are hard to clean. They also get dirty easily.

I almost never sell standard AR because of this. Most of them really are horrible. Did you ask about replacing them under warranty?

The best AR I have personally found is Crizal Avance with Scotchguard, also known in other countries as Crizal Forte. Not only is this AR very scratch resistant, it stays clean and cleans very easily.

Also, some other so called premium ARs are great when they are new but the top coat wears off and they become hard to clean. This is not a problem with The Crizal Avance. However, it is important to get the Avance, not the regular Crizal. Crizal also makes Crizal Alize which is pretty good but I think the Avance is better. It is more expensive but I think it's worth it. We warrant it for two years against scratching, it's that good.

I suggest you ask for the Crizal Avance but if the place you get your glasses doesn't carry it at least get the best AR they offer. Places like Target and Walmart aren't going to have Crizal Avance but ask for the best they have.

Also, to clean your lenses you should rinse them under running water if possible. Any soft cloth will do but it needs to be clean. If you are using a lens cloth you should wash it every week or two, I use mild dish soap.

• janie_ga
    14 years ago

happyladi, thanks for all your patient answers! Every few months, someone has glasses questions. In the past, azzalea has been kind enough to help answer questions- she has been the closest I think we have had to a "resident eye expert".

I too will be following this and keeping a copy for the future!

Thanks,
    Janie who has extra strong lens and astigmatism (basically blind as a bat until I put my glasses on- all nearsighted issues)

• Jodi_SoCal
    14 years ago

Happyladi, thanks so much for your input. I should have mentioned a few other things earlier.

I've worn progressives for many years. I'm a reader more than a driver so I always ask for the horizon line to be higher to allow more reading area. To me, the computer and reading areas are far more important to me and I've gotten used to driving with my head dropped slightly to see over the higher horizon.

I absolutely hate the idea of taking my glasses on and off, keeping track of and paying for two or three pairs of glasses, so whatever I buy will have to accommodate everything I need. Hence quality lenses, coatings and frame are important to me.

Do you have suggestions for lenses with the least distortion with narrow frames? I have a small face and really need the narrower designs even though the trend is going deeper, which was mentioned by a local optometrist last weekend as well.

I had an AR coating on my lenses years ago (15+) and just hated it. They were always dirty because I suffer from seasonal allergies and my tear ducts would tend to spray spots over the inside of the lenses. Ick. Not sure if a better AR brand would help me.

I'm fine with the fact that regular transitions don't work inside a car, I don't need sunglasses when I drive. But I hike a lot and would like something that changes when I'm out on a sunny day. Do they change on overcast days as well? Not sure I'd want that. Do transitions come in different colors and intensities?

Thanks again for your input. So nice to have an unbiased view on things.

Jodi-

• Happyladi
    14 years ago

There are many excellent progressives for narrow frames but all progressives have some areas of distortion. What lens works best depends on the prescription and personal preference. For people who are really sensitive there are free form progressives but these are more expensive. Not everyone will even see a difference.

One of the most important things with progressives is that they are fit correctly. If they are off even a little they don't work well.

What progressive are you wearing now, do you know? For sensitive people in small frames the Definity Short is good and it has one of the best intermediate areas. The reading area is good but some progressives have bigger.

My newest glasses are Varilux Physio Short. All the areas are good. The reading is slightly higher and bigger then the Definity Short but the intermediate is slightly smaller. But what I like won't be necessarly what you like.

Transition is only one brand of changeable lenses. There is also Sunsenser and Colormatic but Transition is the most common and popular.

They come in brown and gray. Gray is about 2% darker. For a lot of people standard Transition lenses are enough and they are handy. In overcast weather they darken less so they are still very comfortable. All changeable lenses darkern more in cold weather then in hot weather.

There is a new Transition called Extra Active Transition that will change moderately in a car and gets darker outside but it does have a light tint inside (regular Transition is clear inside)and it takes longer to lighten up when you come inside.

Personally, I don't find regular Transition lenses are dark enough for me, especially in a smaller frame. But if you don't want to get sunglasses it certainly will be better then clear lenses.

I really prefer a sunglass lens. My favorite is Drivewear which is a polarized Transition type lens. It changes from light brown to a deeper brown.So on overcast days they cut the glare and are extremely comfortable. On very bright days they get very dark. Regular polarized are great, too but aren't quite as versatile.

The best AR has improved hugely in 15 years. If your tear ducts spray spots on them they will get dirty like any lens will but they clean extremely easily and actually repel dirt and dust.

Comparing Crizal Avance with Scotchquard to ordinary AR is like comparing a Ford Pinto to a new Lexus.There's a web site if you want to read more about it.

I'm sorry this has gotten so long. :^) One of the best places to find out what is best for you is to find an experienced optician that will work with you and knows your personal needs and concerns.

• 3katz4me
    14 years ago

Very helpful - thank-you. I can see I am very ignorant about the different types of lenses and that this isn't a good thing. I need to keep all this info for future reference.

• Happyladi
    14 years ago

If you put Drivewear and Crizal and Varilux (popular brand of progressive) into the search engine they have great web sites.

• Jodi_SoCal
    14 years ago

Happyladi, you have been incredibly helpful, thank you so, so much! I will take your input and run with it.

Now back to you Ron. :-)

Jodi-

• Jodi_SoCal
    14 years ago

Happyladi, I forgot to answer your question regarding the brand of progressives I'm wearing. I don't know the name of them but apparently they sport a distinctive circle or bubble at the inside corner of the lens.

Jodi-

• Happyladi
    14 years ago

Jodi,

All progressives have Laser marks on them. They all have two that are a set distance apart, one on the nasal and one on the outside of the lens. Circles are common but there are many other shapes, too. Under the outer one is a number that refers to the add(reading)power. Under the inner one is a symbol that helps tell what the brand and material of the lens is.

We have a book that tells us what symbol every progressive brand has (and I bet there are a 100 different progressives) so that we can tell just by looking at the lens what the brand and style, power of the reading add, and what material the lens is. Of course, the most common ones I know just by looking at them.

We can also use the laser marks to remark the lenses to make sure they are placed correctly on the eye. It's pretty neat.

• bulldinkie
    14 years ago

I JUST GOT RIPPED BIG TIME!!!!!!!I went for eye exam decided to go to Pearl Vision mistake big time.Afew years ago I went in there was a big sign buy 1 pair get 1 pair free great,I pick them out get up there he says oh no you got bifocals.Theyre not in this but sign did not say that
    i swore I would not go back,MY MEMORY ISNT GOOD TOO MANY DRUGS JUST TOO MUCH..So I went in just got my insurance card so i wasnt sure what all it covered.He took the card looked up on computer I bet he said at least 8 times "Lets see what the best deal for you is."He said you get a year insurance on glasses break,scratched bring them in.He charged me over 600.00 25,00 for insurance...
    Meanwhile hubby went to eye dr he got free exam,first pair 50% off second pair free.He was so nice talking