SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jan_jan_gw

Does this look good? (granite/white cab pic)

jan_jan
15 years ago

I just couldn't wrap myself around the absolute black (to the right in the pic). I found this one and it is dark but has blue and gray in it. I have gray/blue tile floor and all white dishes with a few blue and white so I'm thinking it goes pretty good. Do you think it looks cheap or like it belongs in a bathroom? It's not swirly and I always think the swirly ones look more expensive. The granite choice is killing me!!! I also want to go FULL backsplash with it all the way up...too dark to do that??? Please be honest I want to hear opinions. Thanks.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (31)

• kitchenredo2
    15 years ago

They are both pretty (I am personally partial to the black). What are you thinking of doing with the back splash? The blue/gray top could limit you depending on the back splash you want to do. If you have an idea about the back splash (for example tile) I would get some and see how it goes with your choices. Also, what paint color are you thinking of using in the kitchen? Could you post a photo of the floor?

• twogirlsbigtrouble
    15 years ago

Its okay, but it wouldnt be my first pick. Just my opinion :)

• Related Discussions

Backsplash to warm up white-ish cabs & granite

Q

Comments (48)
    omg -- I am so embarrassed. I can't believe it's been almost three years. I know it's ridiculous, veevs, but I still have not put in a backsplash! I collected so many sample tiles (all of which are still sitting on my laundry room counter), and then I just got overwhelmed! And then tired. And then bored. And then we moved on to other major house projects (front entry, portico, landscaping, etc.) and other decorating (window treatments, etc.). And then I just became very zen about the whole thing and decided not to stress about it, to enjoy the paint for now, and to just pick out other kitchen things first (eg, got the bamboo shades budge suggested). In fact, it's funny that you're reviving this thread now, as I await delivery of the chandelier that I finally chose for over the island. I'm hoping that getting that up next week will provide a sudden epiphany re the backsplash. I hope to return to that project this fall/winter. Of course, I'm still happy to hear suggestions and welcome any photos! Sorry the thread was such a tease...but there will be a happy ending one day! In the meantime ... enjoy your kitchen and the many delicious meals you will share with your family ... and tell them all just to be zen :)
    ...See More

Does anyone have River White or Monte Bello granite? pics please

Q

Comments (12)
    I fell in love with monte bello after seeing it in gretal7's kitchen a few years back. I looked everywhere and couldn't find it. She said it had a little bit of olive in it. I really loved it. If you found it that's great. Where are you located? It is the granite on the island. I goggled monte bello granite garden web and found it in someone's clippings.Scroll down halfway in the link. For some reason when I click on it to open and see all the comments it won't work. Good luck! Here is a link that might be useful: Clippings from Simoneb
    ...See More

pics: which granite w/these white cabs? opinions needed.

Q

Comments (46)
    All are beautiful. I just wish I had 17 kitchens to use all the stone I love. But, I would go with number 2. I love the gray/taupe colors personally, but it is more than that. Number one does nothing for the white cabinet -- it doesn't have the stark contrast of a soapstone or AB and doesn't have any white to play off of. The cabinets just look flat. On the island, #1 would blend with the color of the cabinet, brown on brown, versus the compliment that #2 would do for both cabinet colors. Number three is really blush - I would stay away from that - it doesn't do anything for either cabinet color. Again, you are picking from three beautiful natural stones, so you can't go wrong. Which one do you love first thing in the morning, which one will you love in 10 years, not always the same... :)
    ...See More

Does this granite look an anemic ulcer? And, a cm question! (pic'

Q

Comments (4)
    Pictures can be wildly inaccurate, as can monitors. The 2 cm doesn't have to look scrawny. You can get a mitered edge if you want the chunky look. I like the stone. It's beautiful, and looks good with your red stain. Not so much with the butter. In fact, the butter is exactly the wrong color with it. Peachy white would be okay, as would a blue-gray. I also think, at least from what I can see in the picture, that the tile might be too close a match to use right next to it. Not sure on that.
    ...See More
  • conn123
    15 years ago

i'm also partial to the black (maybe in a softer honed finish so it's not so stark?), but they are both pretty...
    in terms of doing a full backsplash, i would make sure you like how the granite looks when you hold the slab up under your wall cabs...something that doesn't look too busy laying flat on your counter will have a different effect when it's on the wall. but i don't think it looks cheap or too much like a bathroom...

• jan_jan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, so here is my floor. I want to do the backsplash in the same granite as the counter so carry it all the way up. I don't have much in terms of backsplash so it's not too scary. I would love some suggestions! Brown, lighter? I'm not good at this what are you thinking?

twogirlsbigtrouble what would be your first choice?

I just think this will give that dark contrast black look without going black. I just don't know why I don't like the black. HMMM? Maybe I need to look at it again.

Thanks I appreciate all the feedback.

• mikeandbarb
    15 years ago

I like the one on the right.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

For the price of granite I'd want one that is more interesting or sharp-looking and that I hear you love. With the way you're asking, I'm not convinced it's singing to you. For me it would be pretty dark on all the walls.

• plllog
    15 years ago

First: Go with what you like. If you like swirly ones better, or think they look richer and you want a richer look, then find something swirly.

I like the speckly one. I think it looks great with the floor and with the cabinets and range. It has the value (light/dark) of black, while being more complex and interesting, and also warmer and softer.

Since you're going up the backsplash, breaking up the plane, i.e., speckled rather than solid, will also make it less stark. Stark is for modern euro kitchens. Your details are softer and more classic. Also, NOT having swirly patterns will make it easier to piece the counters and backsplashes together. From that point of view it would be less expensive because you wouldn't have to template around the patterns.

I generally think marble for bathrooms and granite for hearths, and don't think your granite looks bathroomy at all (but then I also dislike dark bathrooms so probably get out quick before noticing if that's in the bathroom). The serpentine on my bathroom and vanity sinks is in some people's kitchens. Even though I see it in the bathroom every day it doesn't make their kitchens look like a bathroom, because kitchens are so kitcheny.

BUT....if the speckled looks bathroomy to you, it's going to always look bathroomy, so don't get it. If it's just a general you love it and are worried what others will think, go with what you love. From what I can see it's a very pretty kitchen. I don't think you can wreck that...

• twogirlsbigtrouble
    15 years ago

jan jan - Im not sure what I would go with. I like the other sample better, but I can understand you not wanting to go with absolute black, because I dont want to either. Im really not a fan of the speckled look, especially a grey/black speckled. Like rhome said, if your paying for granite, it should be something you love. There are so many granite choices out there.

• katienic
    15 years ago

Have you considered something along the line of the beautiful cosmic black that was one of the choices zoe9397 showed in her recent post? Gorgeous veining,with lots of interest, but doesn't appear to be overwhelming and I think it would go great with your cabinets and floor and Wow what a backsplash it would be! Can you tell I like it!

Here is a link that might be useful: link to original message for zoe9397-cosmic black granite

• kpaquette
    15 years ago

I'm also partial to black, and the gray is just "meh" to me. I agree with plllog that if you're worried about it being bathroomy, it will always be that in the back of your mind. I wouldn't use either on a backsplash - maybe a white subway tile instead. :-)

• jan_jan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, this is AWESOME feedback and making me really think...so first of all THANK YOU!

Now, this personally sings to me and I can't get it out of my mind...
    {{!gwi}}

However, it doesn't sing to my husband and I don't think it looks good with my floor. :( It is just so cool looking. Also, I'm pretty plain and boring and so it my house so I think I might just stick to what works. That sounds funny but it usually works for me. I like cottage and I like everything to blend. I don't think any of these are cottage. I have a deal on granite so I have to find a granite. I have been to 10 different stone yards and looked at more granite than you can imagine.

Jan

• jan_jan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is a close up.... It's white, black, brownish.

{{!gwi}}

• caryscott
    15 years ago

I like AB but I'm not seeing it with the white cabs, white appliances and grey floors. I think the new one is much closer in registration to the floor which for me is a nice look (personally I prefer the floors to be the darkest element not the counters). I can't see using either as a backsplash. I really like the grey floors but I would think about picking that up in the backsplash somehow and going a bit warmer with granite. I wouldn't do the AB - your right it's just too stark.

• caryscott
    15 years ago

You seem way off the cottagey track to me - I think of cottagey as warm and charming. It seems like the only exisiting colours are the grey and black in your floors and the white of the cabs so you are trying to repeat them which is keeping you on a chilly path. I think you need to go in another direction with the countertops and backsplash. I also think repeating a standard glossy finish of your granite on the backsplash will not get you to cottagey. You are pulling the grey in with the hardware and you can always look at a soft warm grey for the walls or on fabric but I think you need to branch out for the countertops into a different pallette that might have a bit of grey or white but is mostly warmer earthier colours. Good luck.

• akrogirl
    15 years ago

I know you mentioned having a few blue and white dishes, but I think a grey granite with lots of garnet inclusions would look really pretty.

Kendlbruck Granite

Here is a link that might be useful: Garnet Rain granite

• chloe_s_mom
    15 years ago

I'm a bit biased towards granite with movement (I have Crema Bordeaux). As others have said, go with what you love (or you had might as well go with a less expensive choice). If you like the speckles, then go for it! But I'm having trouble picturing it as a full backsplash. I like the black, but I've now become a 'shy clear of shiny black things' after my experience with a lovely (but pain in the neck wrt streaks) quartz countertop.

Have you brought a sample of the other granite home? It may look better than you expected wrt to your floors. I found that my granite choice wasn't a perfect match with the floors, but rather took on a life of their own with the cabinets....

• jan_jan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Caryscott, I think that is why I am struggling so much with this. I cant seem to make the granites I am drawn to fit in my cottage house. I have a dutch front door and farm table, I have a totally cottage bedroom, a classic blue and white bathroom with beadboard and my kitchen that is driving me insane! I don't want a butcher block counter top I want granite but I can't seem to make it work with my "theme". I think you hit the nail on the head. I also see black counterops on white in my new cottage living and I just can't bring myself to do it. My husband wants giallo ornamental and it's what your describing.

{{!gwi}}

• caryscott
    15 years ago

Yes I was looking at Giallo Antico (attached link) and to me thats more the tones I would be looking at to warm it up. Wood is a big part of a cottage feel but I think those tones at least pull you back to warm. I think paint and backsplash decisions are going to be really critical. My feeling is your backsplash may need to be more matte and rough (maybe tumbled stone - beadboard?). I would also go with a simple eased or pencil edge on the granite not the bullnose. I think it may end up more transitional than cottagey but the floor and cupboards definitely have a cottagey vibe (the floor makes me think thatched roof english cottage). Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Giallo Antico

• jan_jan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me all the input. You all gave me something to think about and a new perspective. I am taking my time with this and I'm going to keep looking until I think I have found the right thing. I may not end up having a cottage kitchen, I am at the point of just wanting to find something I love and that might not fit in this "idea" box I have for myself. I just want to LOVE my kitchen. :) Thank you so much everyone! You all helped more than you know.

Caryscott...beadboard backsplash is yummy! :)

Jan

• plllog
    15 years ago

Jan Jan, I do think the one by the stove on top is the most "cottagey" of them. That said, if you wanted real cottage look you'd go for a plain, solid ceramic tile or a weathered wood. And you've said you don't want block and you do want granite.

So... Why, exactly, do you have to make a picturebook cottage? Isn't your dutch door, cottage bedroom, classic blue and white bathroom and beadboard enough reinforcement for your theme? In the kitchen you have arch paneled, beaded detailed, white cabinets with traditional knobs and cup pulls, rustic tile, wavy edged, floors, and a classic looking range. So why not go hog wild on the granite? Do something that pleases YOU? (And your husband.)

Look at the talavera tile in Nats-md's classic white/soapstone kitchen. Totally not the style. And totally wonderful.

If you want to cottage up the granite that sings (just for instance, I know your DH doesn't like it), instead of running it on the backsplash, you could do delft cottage style tiles in a matching color (black or charcoal), sprinkled in straight white squares. Not the usual blue and white, but still in the same theme. Or do a plain white with trim to match your hardware for a more sophisticated, but still thematic look. I can't think of any way to make a granite backsplash look cottagey, however. If that's what you really want, go for it! But let it be Dotty Aunt Emma's NY sophisticate cottage kitchen! :-D

• karena_2009
    15 years ago

Personally, I think "blue eyes" granite would look fabulous with the white cabinets and grey floor. Just my two cents worth...

• boxerpups
    15 years ago

Jan-Jan,
    I am in a similar situation to you. I am trying to find
    a counter that will go with my white Cabs.

Can you submit photos fo the surrounding rooms attached
    to the kitchen? What other colors besides the gray, white
    and stainless steal do you have? I see the basket you have?
    Do you use baskets? Beiges, warm light browns? What
    about furniture?

And what is your favorite color? You said you have blues
    in your bedroom? Do you like blues? Blue and White?

Here are some cottage kitchens that might help you narrow
    your granite ideas or help you choose one. I think both
    granites are neutral enough to work but it is the big picture
    you might want to look at. Maybe these pics I found
    from Country Magazine might help.
    Many of these extras might pull it together.

This photo has a gray floor too.

{{!gwi}}

This one is plain but done nicely. Perhaps the gray counter
    with a few wood accents could warm up your cottage kitchen
    ideas.
    {{!gwi}}

This kitchen has different hardware than yours
    but notice how the room is warmed up by a brown toned
    granite. Someone recommended a different granite than
    you were thinking so I thought this pic might give
    you some ideas.

{{!gwi}}

Not to add more stress but here is a granite that
    is another option with your white. I know you have
    tile floor but just maybe this could be an option.

{{!gwi}}

I am visual learner and find that when I look at
    ideas or images I can better figure out what I want.
    Maybe these pics can help you too.

Best or luck and looking forward to seeing your final choice.

• shanghaimom
    15 years ago

Hi Jan-Jan!

I am in agreement with those above who think it would be difficult to make a speckly gray and black granite fit in with a cottage look. One I finally found for myself is called Virginia Jet Mist. I think it looks very vintage-like (especially honed) and would look GREAT in your kitchen! It is a dark charcoal gray with soft white/cream misty veining. You can find the thread from sometime last week, but here is one of the photos....

{{!gwi}}

sorry I'm a rookie with the links--don't know how to link the thread, but "virginia jet mist" is in the subject. There were several nice photos. Good Luck!

• jan_jan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay I didn't take pictures before I started demo so the plate holder above the kitchen table usually has plates on it and the apple tree pic is hung on the wall. That said you can see my door and this room flows into the living room which has light warm brown carpet. Same as in the bedroom. The serving table matches the table and sits across from it. Hope these pictures help. I love the pictures of the kitchens. I actually love the last one but it looks like soapstone. Hmmmm I will check jet mist out. I do find that looking through pictures helps me the most. Again, great feedback! THANKS!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• boxerpups
    15 years ago

Jan-Jan,
    You are a cottage girl! Definitely follow the
    cottage(Y) style for your kitchen. It will be great.
    With that said Shanghaimom has a super idea. Jet Mist.
    Funny I have been thinking of this one for my own
    kitchen.

The first is Jet mist the other two are just ideas
    also from GardenWeb, the last a web site.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• jan_jan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I love redroze's kitchen I have it saved as a link in my favorites. :) It is BEAUTIFUL! I love bianco antique or whatever it is but I think it's too much with my floor. I'm still debating it cuz I love that kitchen so much. I have to say I LOVE that last one too...what website? It might be my favorite yet. What is that countertop? It looks speckley blue?? Do you think if I did that first blue pearl color I have and beadboard backsplash it would look like this? Wow I love that kitchen. I'm printing it out. THANK YOU!! This is the vision I needed. I can make this work. I need toknow what countertop this is. It looks blue to me or maybe green but speckly...no?

• boxerpups
    15 years ago

I love it too and that was why I clipped to keep
    as inspiration. I believe it was from Kitchens.com
    I have to run to car-pool so when I get back I will do a little search.
    The day I found this pic I was also
    looking at country homes on line and Bloomicious.
    I have it listed as "Green counters" but I wrote nothing
    else.
    Oh Jan-Jan... I promise to keep searching.
    I think if you did bead board it would be lovely.
    ~Boxerpups

http://www.kitchens.com/photos/traditional-kitchens.aspx#ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder13_ListSummary1

• boxerpups
    15 years ago

Jan-Jan,
    I found it. It was an image on Flicker.
    Decorology's photo stream.
    I found nothing about the type of stone used.
    But this photo was taken on March 28, 2006.
    You may have to contact this designer or web site.
    Best of luck.
    ~Boxerpups

http://www.flickr.com/photos/decorology/2636867592/

• jan_jan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I can't tell you how much you have helped me. This is the kitchen I want to cook in and hang out in. I printed it out and put it on my fridge. I love it. I will tweak it to fit my wants and needs but it is so perfect for me and my house. I LOVE IT! That's it! What a relief I am feeling. I can't tell you how much stress I felt and how relieved I am right now. I have a picture to work with. AHHHH! Thank you a million times. You were so kind to take the time to do this for me. Wow! Thanks! Jan

• shanghaimom
    15 years ago

the counter pic I posted earlier LOOKS like soapstone, I know...but it is the Jet Mist granite--promise!

• jan_jan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shanghaimom, I know it looks like soapstone which is why I like it. It looks like soapstone but it's granite. Perfect! I like it very much and is a nice alternative for the stark black with my white cabintes. I also think it would go nice with my floors. I will check it out at my next trip to the granite place, hope they have it. Are you finding everything shows on it like the solid black or do the viens help with that?