SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasdip1

If You Won the Lottery.....

Jasdip
14 years ago

Hubby and I were talking this weekend of what we would do if we won a lottery. It all started because over the weekend, a step-brother mentioned that everyone here would be set for life.

I have a mom and step-father and 1 brother. My step-father has 4 adult kids, 1 who is well-off (and I don't care for), another who goes thru money like water (none of his siblings care for him, and we don't either), and 2 kids who we really like, are mature, responsible and have terrific kids who are going to college/university.

IF we came into some money I have no qualms about not giving any to the snob, and to the other one who is immature and shiftless. Hubby said it would be darned near impossible to give something to some and not the others.

What would you do?

Comments (36)

• glenda_al
    14 years ago

Had a friend and DH who won the lottery and he didn't get to enjoy! He died of a heart attack shortly afterwards :o(

• okwriter
    14 years ago

Revise the trust/will papers.
    Retire.
    Cruise.....

:-)

• Related Discussions

If I won the lottery...what would you do?

Q

Comments (15)
    If YOU won the lottery, I'd congratulate you and secretly feel jealous and bitter :) Absolutely, I agree, just how I was going to respond! But I'd probably add a few expletives under my breath because it wasn't me :-) :-( Right now, I'd move if I won the Lottery. It's the GrandPrix which means for my nextdoor neighbor, the kick-off of his annual, "AC/DC 3-Day Music Festival". Only, he started TODAY at 11:00am! SPF - The guest bedroom is open, bring your laptop and get your work done up here. I know, I know, the cats! You can always go feed and check on them.... Tom
    ...See More

New wrinkle on an old scam

Q

Comments (2)
    One of those scams recently sent a check payable to Henry Callahan (remember Clint Eastwood in the "Dirty Harry" movies?) c/o the San Francisco Police Department. One of the more hysterical boners pulled by a scammer, and needless to say, reported immediately to the Postal authorities!
    ...See More

Living inside a major remodel?

Q

Comments (4)
    Well, part of the problem is you probably have been "too nice". Too understanding with excuses, etc. My first question is....do you still owe the contractor money? If the answer to that is, "no" then it tells me he is going to drag his feet because "there's no money in the job". Anything he does regarding labor or subs is coming out of his pocket so-to-speak. If you tell me "yes" you still owe him money.....how much? What you want to do is create a "final list" of what needs to be done. Look at the list and ask yourself, "If I were to hire someone to complete my job, would this money I owe the contractor be enough to pay someone new to finish?" If you have enough to pay a new guy to finish then send a certified letter to the contractor. Tell him he has ten days to finish the job or you are going to use the money you still owe him to have someone else finish the job. The contractor is either going to ignore you or finish the job. I don't know what state you're in but here in California we have laws that control start and stop dates of projects, abandonment of jobs, etc. You may want to Google search the contractor's state license board where you live and see if you have any recourse with them. Good luck!
    ...See More

If you won $70 Million (our latest lottery draw).......

Q

Comments (52)
    "You do not have to comment." There are existing rules of use and they are enforced by the moderators/employees of Houzz - their forum, their right to direct use as they wish. I don't think my comments violated their rules. Does this rule of yours apply to you? Certainly not every time or even most times, maybe few times and perhaps not this time, but jasdip, who started the thread, has commented before that that she likes when I drive off the main road and go off in a different direction.
    ...See More
  • susie53_gw
    14 years ago

I would set up college funds for my 8 grandkids, pay off my kids homes, help some in need without them knowing where the money came from. I would make my hubbies dream trip come true.. Do some fun things, too. I would not have a problem with not sharing with some... It would be my money...

I have a wonderful friend that is going through brain surgery on Thursday. I would make sure she knew "NOT" to worry about the hospital bills. I would pay all of them for her...

Sure is fun thinking about it happening...

Susie

• linda_in_iowa
    14 years ago

I would buy a motor home, load up my dog and cats and hit the road. I would be in TX or some place warm for a couple of months in the winter, Oregon or Washington in August when it is hot here. I would visit friends or family in CA 3 or 4 times a year.

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok guys, now how would you feel about NOT sharing some with members of the family?
    Or would this just not be possible, or right?
    Would a lightning bolt strike me down?

Just so you know...I haven't won a lottery! lol

• jayokie
    14 years ago

First, hire a tax atty & set up a meeting with the atty & my financial advisor. Then at least 10% tithe to church & give to other charities. Updates/repairs on my home. Updates on my mom's home. College aid for grands (pd to college to be sure that's how it was used!) Pay off kids homes. If anything was left, I'd take trips to do genealogy research.

• lilliepad
    14 years ago

DH and I talk about this all the time because I'm sure any day we will win and we need to be prepared! LOL
    First thing we would do is tithe to our church.We would also give to some charities.
    I have 4 grown kids and 9 grands.I would make sure the grands had money for their educations and beyond.All that my kids have wished for is a nice home and a car.Right now,at this point in our lives since we are living with DS and family and helping with the twins,we would purchase a home large enough for all of us and when we are able to go back to our home in TX,it would go to them.None of our kids want to quit their jobs or live in luxury,nor do we.Just to have a home and a new car that is paid for.DH and I could care less about cruises or big luxury vacations or fancy houses and furniture,and none of the kids do either.We would invest wisely and figure out how to leave what is left to our kids without them having to pay out much to inherit it.The only "extravagance" I would like is someone to clean and maybe an occasional cook!LOL

• okwriter
    14 years ago

I have a sibling who is excluded from our will. And another one will be during the next round of revisions.
    Hey, I say "It's your money. Do what ya gotta do!"

• monica_pa Grieves
    14 years ago

Ok guys, now how would you feel about NOT sharing some with members of the family?

Very, very comfortable.

My one sister will never, never see one cent from me, even if all other family members are gone.
    Iron clad.

If I won the lottery, I would simply invest the money and travel more.

• softball_80
    14 years ago

I get along pretty well with my family & even my in-laws. So, I have devised a formula on how to split up my lottery winnings. It only applies on me winning 100 million dollars (not a penny more or less LOL).

$100,000,000 lottery winnings

DD #1 5% $5,000,000
    DD #2 5% $5,000,000
    DD #3 5% $5,000,000

My 3 siblings (3m each) 9% $9,000,000
    DW's 3 siblings (3m each) 9% $9,000,000
    4 godchildren (100k each) .004 $ 400,000

12 nieces / nephews (500k) 6% $6,000,000

8? future gcÂs? (200k trust per)1.6% $1,600,000
    -------------
    Total 41% $41 m

I still have $59m to fool around with. Any complaints, the plan is null & void to the complainer.

• patti43
    14 years ago

I'd do like lilliepad. Make sure our children had a newer home and paid for cars. Then I'd set up trusts so the grandkids could either pay off or continue their educations. I'd give each of Harry and my siblings $10,000. Between us we have 10 bros. and sisters. His side, especially, could really use it.

Again like lillipad, I'd have my house cleaned weekly and meals for special occasions partially catered. I like to bake and cook so I'd still do some of it!

I don't think I'd move. We don't need more room and I never wanted a mini-mansion. But this place would have some serious remodeling/decorating.

Isn't it fun to think about what we'd do if we came into money. We talk about it--but we don't play the lottery so chances are slim to none!

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    14 years ago

I would just put my kid's names on the ticket and let them have it all.

Sue

• azzalea
    14 years ago

IF I were to win the lottery, I would do the same thing I did when I won a very large contest some years back.

Visit my accountant to get my finances set up to legally minimize the taxes on the winnings. The max allowed would go into a retirement account.

Once the taxes were paid, the balance would go into the bank, divided between shortterm and long term insured savings vehicles.

We don't splurge with found money--too easy to get used to a lifestyle you can't afford for the longterm. The money would just be a nice cushion for emergencies as we head into our senior years.

Nor do I believe in handing free money to family and friends. Giving people a pile of cash is more of a hindrance than a help. I've seen a number of lives ruined that way-no way would I wish that on anyone I loved. Rarely appreciated at the time, and generally leads to requests for more and more and more--and sometimes a sense they're ENTITLED to your money.

Post script? The large chunk of cash I won 8 years ago, is still in the bank, and even though I paid the taxes on it at the time, put some in a SEP account, and bought a computer (a 'business' expense for my contesting), the total of the CD I put the balance in is now more than I originally won, because it's carefully invested, and we've never touched it.

• nicole__
    14 years ago

My brother lives in a $6,000,000 home & has 2 vacation homes. Like giving Oprah Winfrey "more" money!!! My mother is married for the 4th time, to a retired doctor. ha ha

I'd buy an island. Yep....da plane boss, da plane!

• jannie
    14 years ago

I'm pretty happy with my life and I've never won a lottery. I've bought lotto tickets and won a dollar or so or a free game, but that's it. When I was in high school, Dad was unemployed and Mom bought a lottery ticket and won $30,000. It really helped them. They handed me $100 cash, which I spent on a really good haircut. That was back in the 70's, a hundred bucks was a lot of money. Now I'm late middle age, own my house outright, own four cars with no payments, my kids speak to me. Both DH and I have health issues, but they're tolerable at presaent. If I won a lottery, I'd share some and save most of it.

• marlingardener
    14 years ago

Our lives wouldn't change much, but there would be some very happy plant nursery owners around here!
    I'd have no trouble enjoying my winnings and not sharing with family. I would give some to people who really need it, anonymously, and not just a hand-out, but something that they had to reciprocate in some way to "earn" like going to school for job training, or getting a GED.
    However, since we don't buy lottery tickets, our winning is pretty far-fetched . . . .

• linda_in_iowa
    14 years ago

I wouldn't share with any family members that I felt didn't deserve it and that is most of them. I would buy DS a house and car. I would also set up some college scholarship funds and some money would go to my church.

• lydia1959
    14 years ago

Well if the lottery prize was 1 million, I wouldn't share any with anyone except our DD. 1 million wouldn't go far after taxes.

If we won a large sum, say 10 Million.. we would share. DH and I always said we'd pay off our sibling's mortages, put money in a trust for neices and nephews (they wouldn't be able to get into it until age 25). DD would get a house and a new car most likely. We'd put aside a large amount for the building and upkeep of a no-kill animal shelter in our county (they don't have one now).

DH and I would move out of the subdivision and onto acreage.

If I had a bad relationship with a sibling I wouldn't have a problem excluding them from any winnings.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    14 years ago

I think it depends on your age too what you would do with the money and your financial situation. If you are 75 like me and things are paid for why keep money that will in time go to your children. They could use it now, not when I am dead and gone. Of course if you don't get along with your children that could be something else to think about.

Sue

• patti43
    14 years ago

Softball 80 has a much bigger imagination than I do! I was happy with a couple mil!

• glenda_al
    14 years ago

With Monica!

I would use it to travel more, lots more places!

And invest in a condo in the mountains and one on the beach.

• oldgardener_2009
    14 years ago

I'd share with all family members except possibly one, not sure about her. The more I think about it, I think not.

The rest, I'd split it all up evenly.

• liljunkr
    14 years ago

On the gifting of money to family members they'd all get a bit for sure. Some more than others and some would be handled by a trustee. My SIL is a drug using fiend so anything she needs in the way of necessities would go through the trust.
    My step daughter spends money like there is no tomorrow mostly on garbage food and things she just piles up and never uses. She can't manage a checking account with minimal amounts in it (overdrawn again now and the electric got turned off again. At least the rent and health insurance is paid from a different account she can't touch). Yep hers would be in trust so it gets spend on needs before fast food and toys.
    Same thing with the money for All grand kids, in trust till they are old enough and wise enough to handle their own. I want to travel a little and spend time doing things the DH wants to do but never had the time money or opportunity. Last but not least have a 100% wheelchair accessible home (or 2) and vehicles for the both of us.
    Many charities will get sizable donations as well.

It is nice to dream about giving a lot when you can just barely give a little now.

LIL

• okwriter
    14 years ago

LOL @ azaalea!

On the gold thread, you educated everyone about how "gold is the only real money...paper is worth nothing..."

But you'd put this in the bank and invest it? Wouldn't you rather hide it in a coffee can or buy a bunch of canned goods or MREs?

That's funny!

• clubm
    14 years ago

I would share it with my children. Make a donation to
    a charity. Buy a new home,go on a nice vacation. Its doesn't cost to dream!!! lol

• marilyn_c
    14 years ago

If I won the lottery, I'd finish my house and build a barn and spend money on the place. I have one child and I would probably give her some money to go back to college and get a higher degree, but I don't think I'd tell her I had money or anyone else, for that matter. I don't have very many relatives...none that are close. I would help some charities...those that have to do with animals.

• mary_c_gw
    14 years ago

There are federal limits to the amount of money one can give to any one recipient during a year and have it remain tax-free.

I would certainly make sure my mother and step dad were fully taken care of.

I wouldn't feel any need to take care of siblings or their offspring. Nor would I leave anything to them in a will. I would help out with college expenses if I felt a niece or nephew were serious about study.

My estate will go to my child. My siblings would get nothing, even if my child predeceased me. I have provisions for that eventuality, and they don't include my siblings.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    14 years ago

The last I heard the limit on gifting with out paying a tax was $12,000 a person.

Sue

• ont_gal
    14 years ago

It wouldn't bother me one bit.

I know "exactly" who I would take care of and whom I wouldn't--and my siblings are on the "not" list.

Like a few of the other posters,I would spend some on myself,invest some and travel-lots

• Kathsgrdn
    14 years ago

Thank goodness I have a small family. My dad and two brothers. One brother spends money like it's going out of style but he would still get part of it. I'd just make it clear that it would be so much and then he's on his own. He can't keep coming back for more.

I'd also give to a couple old friends.

• kfca37
    14 years ago

At my age,72, my husband (age 82) & I are quite comfortable (& both qute healthy) & even manage to live on just Soc. Security. Our wants & even needs are few, though I suppose there might be assisted living or nursing homes in our future. I'd just have a hard time thinking of ways to personally spend a very large sum of money such as lottery winnings at this point...though think I'd at least like to buy a blue Mini Cooper. I guess charitable contributions, particularly animal rescue groups, would be our choice, with maybe one-time modest cash gifts to several nieces & nephews. We'd definitely "go out to dinner" more. On the other hand, I can't remember when I last bought a lottery ticket---maybe 10 years ago.

BTW, the current untaxable gift tax limit per year per person is $13,000. However, "direct" payments to schools or providers (doctors, dentists, ospitls, etc.) for tuition, etc. or medical expenses on behalf of another can go above that $13,000 amount & not be taxable for gift tax purposes. And of course husbands & wives can each give that $13,000 annual gift to as many people as they choose.

• alexis717_df
    14 years ago

First hire a tax and investment advisor.

As far as my kids... either pay down a significant portion of their existing mortgage or give them a healthy down to buy a home. Also significant downs for new cars. I would want to help them, make life just a tad easier, but I strongly believe they still need to work for what they have or they will never appreciate it.

College funds established for grandkids to be used for and paid only to college of their choice, within 5 years of high school graduation or funds are forfeit.

A 10% donation to various charities that are close to my heart.

A new home on acreage about 40 years from civilization for me, complete with stable boy.

Upon my death my kids would only inherit in equal amounts upon their 55th birthday.

• marygailv
    14 years ago

A retired couple in my hometown won $7.5 million in the lottery last week. They are taking immediate payment, which reduces the sum to $4.2 and, after taxes, they will have left $2.8 million, which still isn't too shabby, just not the $7.5 being broadcast.

mary c, I rather doubt it could be kept a secret if you won a large amount in the lottery.

• eccentric
    14 years ago

Depends on the sum - I figure I need $40 million. First off I would be down to collect the money next business day - without makeup - no one would recognize me in the picture the lottery insists on taking. I would have my banker meet me at the lottery office to take possession of the cheque. I would send my dog to the home boarder's while I moved us out same day to an apartment/hotel. I would hire a tax accountant/lawyer and redo our wills. I would buy a house that had a separate apartment for a professional dog walker - I hate the cold - don't mind the walk part - it is the "out" part. I would be responsible for the hugs and kisses. I would find an "appropriate" charity to immediately donate our house to - and I am sure you all know what I mean by "appropriate" charity. I would sure as heck not be giving interviews to the City newspaper and having my face splashed everywhere - people who do this want the publicity - and they really feel that everyone is happy for them - face it - unless you are very fond of someone or you are going to get some of the money -you are generally not that happy for the winner of a big prize! Of course I want the big prize because that would make a difference. Not that I would turn down my nose at $2 million but you really couldn't do a lot with $2 million these days - creature comforts certainly - but only so much. Recently 4 Cdns. split a big prize so received $12.5 million each. So if you took your $12.5 million and bought a big house in the fancy part of town, a "cottage" in the Muskoka's, a BMW, furnished and secured both homes, paid insurance/taxes - you would have nothing left. I would want something to do - no doubt animal related, but generally people who really love their jobs and might want to continue working often can't due to the constant harassment by people. And I sure wouldn't need any new friends or relatives - the ones I have wouldn't get anything. Phone and e-mail would be appropriately handled. Now all I have to hope is that when I win that the prize isn't $2 million split between 12 ticket holders. If we go away and I have a points seat and am on a different plane than my husband we put the lottery tickets in the safety deposit box - heaven forbid that his plane go down with the ticket on his person - or of course, mine.

• mary_c_gw
    14 years ago

Oh, I wouldn't keep it secret. I never said anything about that, and can't see where I even implied it.

I just wouldn't feel the need to share with shiftless relatives.

• marilyn_c
    14 years ago

I wouldn't mind sharing with what few relatives I have, but probably after I am dead. If I was wealthy, I wouldn't live much differently than I do now. I would finish my house...which we will do anyway. I'd rather not tell anyone because I wouldn't want them always asking for money. I already have a brother that owes me a few thousand and has for years. I finally convinced him I have no money, and he leaves me alone. I'd like to keep it that way.

It's a moot point to me anyway, because I never play the lottery.