SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fl_countrybumkin

Best/easist way to clean Salt off of spill over

15 years ago

My pool uses salt for chlorine generation. It works great for making chlorine but the salt added to the pool has a downside. It seems the salt tends to build up on the tile face of the spa spill over. Whenever the pool pump is running there is some water spilling over the spa ledge so this buildup is a monthly cleaning task.

It is hard to clean the salt off. I just chipped off a piece about as thick as a credit card (that was a little heavier than usual - but it does need a monthly or bi-monthly cleaning to not be noticeable). Any tips on making this task easier? Is there any sloution that will disolve the salt without harming the tile/grout or messing up the water balance? There is usually some calcium build up on the wall too which comes off easily with muriatic-acid/water solution. However the salt doesn't budge. I usually have to scrap it off with a blunt wood (paint stirring) stick.

My spa spillover is about 2ft above the pool surface and has a couple of rows of 4x4 blue tiles between the water top and the spill over shelf. The build up of salt is very obvious against the dark blue tile.

The pool salt level is maintained at 3000 ppm for my IntelliChlor.

Thanks for any tips or advice.

Comments (4)