SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crabman2

Ipe deck

crabman2
17 years ago

After having read so many messages on Ipe, I know I am in the right place to get my answeres once and for all. By the way John and Ken -you guys are great!

15 years ago when I built my house in Delaware I was told that Cedar was it! The siding, the soffit,the trim the deck and the railing- all cedar (even the cathederal ceiling inside the house is T&G). The local supplier convinced me that it would last forever and using the same construction technigues as PT.... Even Fine homebuilding was mute on construction technique, that was until about 8 years ago when I found out I did it all wrong. We put Sikkens dek on the deck and followed the distributors instructions- it came right up in most places and stuck real tight in others.It doesn't matter though because the deck and railing are rotten and need replacing.

I've decided to use IPE for the deck and treads and Azak for the risers and verticle trim. Vinyl rail(no painting) w/ an IPE top rail which I will try to attach from underneath ( we like the marine brite work look). Being an amatuer and wanting something nice, I want to make sure I've got it right.

I'll be using 5/4 IPE( don't want to change the riser heights or I'll end up tripping up the stairs every time) that I will install w/2 1/2 stainless square drive trim(?) screws, predrilled ,counter sunk and put down w/construction adhesive. In order to save some labor$, I won't plug. But thats ok because after I finish the deck, the screw will be virtually unnoticable.Biscuit clips are iffy -might or might not be a problem.

After the deck is finished, I shouldn't sand it but clean it and acid balance it(I'm commited to PPs product). Wait a couple of days for it to dry, then finish right away with TWP, a finish that can be recoated w/ minimal preparation, won't get gummy and will last a couple of years if done properly.

The unanswered questions: Am I right,100 series TWP is unavailable in Delaware and is the 300 series an adequate replacement? Does anyone know of a manufacture of vinyl porch railing that has a plain flat profile top that we can attach the IPE toprail to? And ,have I got it right- any other suggestions?

Scott

Comments (10)