SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linda_in_iowa

I'm having arm surgery on April 21

linda_in_iowa
15 years ago

Some of you might remember that last July I fell on cement steps at a church potluck when I was carrying an empty glass baking dish. I sustained a severe laceration to my right wrist and forearm. I was sent to Des Moines to a vascular surgeon because I had a severed artery along with a severed tendon and nerve.

Since then I have been getting occupational therapy and a few months ago it became evident that the nerve was not regenerating. I had a consultation this week in St. Louis with a plastic surgeon who does nerve transplants in injured limbs. She said she can fix the nerve and also move a tendon so I have more strength in my thumb. It will be wonderful to have feeling in my little finger and my entire hand. She said the surgery will be extensive and I will have several scars on my arm. I don't care how many scars I have. For 4 weeks after the surgery I will have my arm splinted from my upper arm to my fingers to keep it all immobile. Yikes!

A friend went to St Louis with me this week and we enjoyed seeing the arch there and visited Hannibal on our way home. Next trip we are going there two days early to do more sightseeing before my surgery.

Comments (22)