SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thearrys

New House - Water Softener Questions

thearrys
16 years ago

Let me start by saying that I have read many of the posts on here, but am still trying to figure out everything that goes into this water softener decision...

So - details of our situation. My husband and I just built a new house, on city water. We knew the water was hard once we started showering here, but now the dishwasher just isn't cleaning, and we're realizing this hard water issue is more serious than we had imagined. Our water has been tested twice - once on a strip chart that showed it off the charts, and the chart ended at 25, and once with a little titration kit (by the local Kinetico dealer) that showed it at about 32. So, obviously we have a serious hardness problem!

Before doing any research we went to Sears and Lowes... Sears did not impress me, the guy was pushy, and he didn't even suggest we get our hardness measured, but rather said "well, in this area it's about 20-something". I didn't know much at the time, but that still sent up a red flag. In any case, the Sears unit, installed, with 5 year service warranty (parts, labor & preventive maintenance) will run about $1k.

After doing some research I called our local Kinetico dealer. They came out to the house tonight, did the little titration test for hardness, and then made a suggestion of the "Waterplant 2040" - which includes: Mach By-pass, Mach 10" Prefilter, 2040sOD, 12x16x20 Brine Drum, Drinking Water System Plus Deluxe VX with Sediment Prefilter, 3 Gallon QuickFlo Storage Tank, and Chrome Faucet. They offer new units for $2695, and a reconditioned unit (with 5 year warranty instead of the standard 10), for $1750. So now to figure out what this all means! He says with my hardness this unit would have to regenerate every 300 gallons... which the way I figure is something like every other, or every third day. 11 gallons of water/regen, 1 lb. of salt/regen. Okay, that's probably pretty reasonable for the two of us. My biggest concern is that we do both have large families that come to visit... which can mean up to 12 people staying in the house... so under those circumstances I worry that the unit would be regenerating every few hours, and perhaps so often that the salt would not be dissolved. Is this a realistic fear?

I plan to call Culligan & Ecowater tomorrow, but figured I would get as much input as I could on what I info I have now and go from there.

Basically, I'm looking for a reality check. The $750 premium for a reconditioned Kinetico seems reasonable, but the warranty past the one year point is parts only, so that is a pretty big catch. I can't quite stomach the price tag of the new unit, especially since based on what I've heard that $1000 could rebuild the unit a couple of times even if the reconditioned unit doesn't last quite as long. Am I heading in the right direction? Any flaws in my logic?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths