SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poolcrazy_2006

Plaster/Pebble...Decisions, desicion!

poolcrazy_2006
17 years ago

Sorry for the long postÂ

So our pool is near completion, and we need to make a decision on plaster/pebble. We scheduled to have several estimates/bids. Some showed up and some didn't which makes it a bit easier I guess. One of them I even called to confirm the day of and they never showed. A few days later, I got an email from them telling me I should receive my estimate in the mail by today. Anyway, here is what we got for a free form 40' x 18' from 4' shallow to 7' deep with a perimeter of 120' and 8' spa:

Pebblefina or equivalent of Caribean/Aqua Blue

*Cruz Pool Plastering - (Mini Pebble) $5,789 and $300 to install 15 Mosaics. 10 year warranty

*Baron Pool Plastering - (Authentic Pebblefina) $8,433 (Group I. $1000 extra for each group above). Doesn't include drains or fittings. Will not install Mosaics. 5 Year warranty.

*SGM Licensed Insaller - (River Rok) $10,000. Said they could find someone to install mosaics for extra. 10 year warranty.

*Mirage Pool Plastering - Still waiting for estimate in mail.

We called about 8 companies and this is all I have to work with so far. My brother keeps telling me I better use authentic PebbleFina. He thought he was getting PebbleTec from his PB and it turned out Jeff Kerber Pool Plastering installed a knock off and did a very bad job. The PB went out of business and Jeff said he would come out to fix, but never did after repeated attempts by my brother. Needless to say, itÂs pretty rough. There are only two licensed PebbleTec installers in our area (Baron Pool Plastering and Gardner Pool Plastering). Gardner wonÂt even call me back after repeated attempts of calling, emailing, etc. That only leaves me with Baron, who didnÂt include the price of fitting in their estimate, wonÂt install mosaics, only 5 year warranty and didnÂt even leave samples for us. Not to mention itÂs about $3000 more than Cruz. He seemed like he was in a hurry to measure and leave. Maybe because they are licensed PebbleTec installers, they donÂt have to do any hand holding, but I didnÂt like it. The SGM product seemed way over priced. That leaves me with Cruz. I heard one good thing about them on the forum. Somebody said they saw them installing and it looked like they were doing a good job. Maybe someone who has their mini pebble can chime in with their experience and how they like it now. IÂm going to try and call them and ask for references. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-D

Comments (16)

• labrat
    17 years ago

Poolcrazy,

My pool is almost ready for plaster/pebble and I've started getting quotes. My pool is similar in size to yours and the quote I got from Baron is within a few dollars of what they quoted you. My neighbor used Baron and was very happy with them. I also got a quote from Keber Bros and they are about $1,000 lower but I'm not sure about their quality. I will be interested in seeing what Mirage quotes you, and what other have to say about them. I haven't heard of Cruz Plastering, where are they located?

• airborne101
    17 years ago

Just my 2 cents like Kelly says............ this is a huge time of year for pool builders, or builders in general. My DH is a contractor, but I read the forum because we are redoing our pool.... this fall....... I would never do it at this time of year, we are too busy. If you can't get bids, its probably because the contractors are busy and you have to wait in line. Good contractors are bid well in advance, we are now doing jobs lined up in November. Also, employees change jobs...... what looked good to you last year may not be done by the same employees this year. We actively recruit good finishers and masons all the time. While you may be looking to save the almighty dollar, it may be better at this time to spend it, or wait til fall to finish the pool. I hope this helps, Barb

• snookums
    17 years ago

Oh, do a search under my name for more info about Kerber Brothers. I do want to say though that Kerber Brothers Pool Plastering is NOT the same company as Jeff Kerber Pool Plastering. Kerber Brothers is owned by brothers number 1 and 2 (Skip and Kelly), and Jeff Kerber is owned by estranged brother #3, Jeff.

I don't know about Jeff Kerber but airborne is right that Kerber Brothers does not use Pebble Tec. I think they use Stonescapes but don't quote me on that. I don't know what Jeff Kerber uses.

• scrapula
    17 years ago

I'm a little confused because of the comparing Pebblefina with other pebble finishes. Pebblefina is a smooth (non-pebbled) product. It's made by Pebble Tec, but that's it. I also thought it cost way less than Pebble Tec or Pebble Sheen?

• t-square
    17 years ago

If it's still at the point where resurfacing is an elective procedure, I would elect to do it in the Fall. If it's no longer an elective procedure, then that's okay, but you're going to have to take a number and have your money ready and be prepared for a little more headache. It's all part of the game.

• cliff_s
    17 years ago

The most important part of the job is the quality of the installation. What good is the cheapest bid if the job comes out very sloppy and looks bad.

Before you sign with anybody inspect some of the jobs they have done, if they object move on to the next one.

Cliff s

• poolcrazy_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everybody. I really appreciate the feedback.

Labrat,

ThatÂs good to hear about Baron. Did they include the fittings (drains, returns, etc.) in your quote? I checked the mail on Friday, but didnÂt get a quote from Mirage yet. IÂll email them today. The guy from SGM told me he heard bad things about them though. DonÂt know how much merit to give that though.

-----
    A little updateÂI called Cruz plastering to ask some additional questions and get some referrals. I talked to a person by the name of Ivan, who is the one who came out and did the bid on our pool for Cruz. Anyway, he gave me the number to Splash Pools, who they must do a lot of pools for and he was going to call me back with some individuals as well. That was on Friday, but have not heard back from him yet. Why I was talking to him, he said that he talked to his Foreman and he was not too happy about doing our pool because of so many mosaics (I can understand that...The plaster crew that did my uncles pool broke some in the middle of the job and created a big headache) and trim tile. I don't know if he was just saying that because I was asking for references and maybe he thought he was doing me a favor...I don't know. Not sure where that left things, but I assume they would still be interested if I contract them; makes me a little more nervous however. Another thing I discovered which makes me even more nervous had to do with Ivan. He mentioned that he use to do like 30 jobs a week when he had his own company (Ivan Pool Plastering), but they (Cruz) only do about 6 a week. Out of curiosity, I did a CSLB search on Ivan Pool Plastering and discovered licensed was revoked for various reasons. I also did a BBB search and found a grade of "F" with several complaints all around the same time. They all had to do with people contracting, paid down payment, started job and never finished. Then it looks like the company went out of business. This doesn't really speak about the quality of their work. Maybe it was just a really bad time (Who doesn't have their bad times), but does make me feel a little more uncomfortable.

I agree about the quality of work is the important thing. I really donÂt have a problem spending the extra $3000 + to go with authentic PebbleTec (pebblefina), but I just wish there were a couple more licensed companies to install it. It just seemed like if I was spending the extra money, the hassle should be less (i.e. finding someone to install mosaics, need to get fittings myself, etc.), and I didnÂt get that feeling from Baron.

• poolcrazy_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Scrapula,

Thanks for correcting me. Don't know why I was saying PebbllFina. I meant Pebble Sheen. Sorry for the confusion.

-Dan

• poolcrazy_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Scheduled an appointment with Gardner Pool Plastering for tomorrow. I hope their the one! I guess we'll see.

• ausman
    17 years ago

Poolcrazy,

I received an estimate from Baron and they included drain covers. For colored plaster it was $4100 which is what I will be using. You said you are waiting for a quote from Gardner plastering. Can't say I have heard of them. Where did you find them?

Damien

• poolcrazy_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I found Gardner From the Pebble Technologies website. They are actually located in San Diego, but they have a office in Anaheim.

What color of plaster are you getting? Have you considered getting a pebble finish. Actually, the 3M quartzite looks really nice. The Diamond Brite product is really nice too. I have samples of it, and it is real comparable to mini pebble. It actually seems like it has smaller pieces. I'll update tomorrow on the bid I get.

• afnajs
    17 years ago

Our pool's blue granite pebble sheen was installed by Baron Pool Plastering. My builder has used them for about 20 years and has nothing but good things to say about them.

I was home during the pebble sheen application and the crew was professional and went out of their way to keep the area clean. I was especially impressed by the guy who did the spa. He spent a lot of time getting the edges and other areas smooth.

The link below is to all the pictures I took of the process.

Jeff

Here is a link that might be useful: Baron Pool Plastering - Pebbling out pool

• poolcrazy_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Your pool turned out beautiful. What color is of pebble sheen is that? Also, I did they come the next day to do the buffing? Is the finish smooth? Do your kids often get scaped up?

Thanks,

-Dan

• afnajs
    17 years ago

Dan,

The color is Blue Granite Pebble Sheen. Baron sent out two guys the following day to buff and acid wash the finish. They also drained and picked up the overflow tub they had setup in the front (holds the pebble waste).

The finish is very smooth and the consistency of the pebble application is top notch. So far, I've found no areas void of pebbles, and the spa has so far been snag-less to swim apparel.

No scrapes or "pool burn" to report.

Jeff

• poolcrazy_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, we got our bid from Gardner Pool Plastering. It was $9,050 for the Pebble Sheen aqua blue and all the necessary pool return and drain fittings (pebble matched). They said we would have to find someone else to do the Mosaics though. He mentioned something about making sure they grout the Mosaics with similar color. Now I'm confised. I thought the paster/pebble crew would fill the grout joints on the mosaics. Isn't that the best way. The I started thinking that might look funny. After spending about $800 on mosaics, my wife and I are starting to feel like it's too much hassle. Don't know what to do. He also mentioned something about the tile being set tight to the Gunite and that we should thoroseal 3" below the tile. He said some most plaster companies would just go ahead and plaster, but he said it would help prevent future leaks. Were can I get this Thoroseal (Temecul, CA area) and what specific product of it should we get (I know they make some in bags, pales, etc.)? I'm assuming it's pretty easy to apply. Any feed back is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Dan

• charocfl
    16 years ago

Hi, I will also be refinishing my pool soon & am also looking for this info along with opeinions, experience with Beadcrete finish. See my post at:
    Anyone used Beadcrete ® surface finishes in their pool?
    ref: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pools/msg0712081114915.html
    I live in central FL & have located online a retailer in Longwood FL who has beadcrete & hope to check it out one daty soon.
    National Pool and Tile
    150 National Place, Suite 150
    Longwood, FL 32750
    Ph: (407) 834-4494

Char O.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beadcrete home page