SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue_va

Speaking of Birds

16 years ago

I have bird feeders in my backyard and mostly see house finches, goldfinches, doves, an occasional blue bird or cardinal. and a few stragglers. I don't put out anything that will attract starlings or grackles.

Yesterday afternoon I saw a large white bird and first thought it was a chicken, but there are no chickens for miles around here. I watched and realized it was a dove. . .a white dove. I've never seen one before. There were 2-3 regular doves nearby. It stayed around for at least a half hour and then some noise frightened them all away. I haven't seen it so far today. I hope it comes back, or found its way home. I know white doves are often used as Homing Pigeons and for weddings. But this one was in my back yard.

I'm not a camera person but I keep a little throw-away on hand. I snapped 3-4 shots as I got closer and closer. It wasn't too skittish, but I didn't want to scare it away. When I finish that roll I'll have it developed, but that may be a while.

I googled and found a few pics of white doves. This looks pretty much like the one I saw.

Have you ever seen a wild one?

{{!gwi}}

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (4)