SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steveshisler

What to do with 13 yr old Fleck 5600 softener?

steveshisler
14 years ago

I just purchased a 1923 Bungalow which had a Fleck 5600 Economiser softner installed.

The home was previously owned by an old couple and I suspect there may have been little to no maintenance done on the softener. I have never owned a home with a softener in it so this is all new to me.

We have determined the softner was installed 13 years ago. We know that the city water hardness is 20 grains and a plumber tested my softened water and it shows 5 grains, so I guess there is some softening happening but not up to it's full potential.

A couple of problems-

The valve assembly leaks - only on the brine refill cycle.

The brine tank seems to have an accumulation of "mush" (very thick heavy fine salt residue) probably 8-10 inches high in the bottom of the tank.

I am thinking of trying to repair the leak having found some great resources on the internet. I assume I should also clean out the tank entirely and start over with a new bag or 2 of salt crystals (plumber told me not to use pellets)

If any experts were in my shoes would you try the repair approach, and consider replacing the "media" in the tank as well? Or would you consider punting and buying a new system entirely?

Having just paid for a new hot water heater, new boiler and other misc items with this new old house I'd love to save a few bucks for a change if I thought I still had some good life out of the old Fleckster.

Comments (4)